Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 06:32 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,453,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
Huh? Are you being silly? A lot of what you said above is nonsense lol! I don't know anyone who has verbally came out and said they have herpes, but I do know plenty of black people who have sores on their lips, have very visible skin conditions(eczema, bad acne, uneven skin). Having darker skin doesn't mean that things aren't seen--because they are. Perhaps they aren't as visible as they would be if they were on someone who is paler or lighter, but they are still visible. Like I said, I've seen blacks with lip sores, bad skin, and bumps all over--and it was actually pretty easy to see. It was not discrete, even with their darker skin. Blacks are not immune from STDS, or any of the things you mentioned. I have friends with scars, burn marks, keloids, etc--all that are visible. So I'm not sure what you mean when you say that very little shows up on us. From what I observed that isn't the case. If anything, I've noticed that some white women are able to hide their blemishes or bruises, or minimize them by tanning. Or if they are pale, and have pale stretch-marks, the stretch-marks tend to blend with their skin. This is not the case for black women.

In any case one thing I will agree that lack of melanin and the skin elasticity contributes to why many whites in general don't age as well as people with more melanin. What compounds it, is tanning too much in youth--which a lot of young whites tend to do. I've noticed that the older women I work with that don't look as old as others, tend to be paler, have a healthy lifestyle, most likely married to someone who makes a good amount of money, and didn't have many kids. I think genes also matter. I remember reading something about a youth gene, and those with the youth gene look younger. The thing is this gene was found in a lot of blacks, and not as many whites. It's interesting to consider that genes play a part too. I can say that I've met so many black women that I thought were way younger than what they actually were. I have to admit that I have only met a few white women that were like this. The majority that I've met have either looked like their age, or older. In terms of black women, while I've met many that look young--I know quite a few who have not aged well, even with a good lifestyle and melanin. For whatever reason they always had "mature" looks and even with nice skin and color, their features make them look "older" or at their exact age.

But to get back to the OP--I don't think there is any surefire way to tell how a woman will age. Not even looking at her mother. For instance my mother always looked young, always. When she was 50, people thought she was my older sister, or thought she was 32. Yet, she looked very different from me--she is darker, had oily smooth skin, very lean, and so on. I on the other hand, I'm light brown, I have very youthful facial features(high cheekbones with full cheeks), drier skin, I am average in weight with way more curves--not as lean, and much shorter than she was. There would never be a way for a man to look at my mother to base how I would age, because of the differences in our looks and skin alone. What I've observed is that women that age good usually have healthy lifestyles(eating, working out, drinking lots of water, getting sleep), good genes, don't have a lot of kids(more than 4), are more likely to be affluent, and have a relatively low stress life. This means that if the very attractive women did all the above she could still remain very attractive, the same goes for the girl next door. The thing is, a lot of young women, especially if they were very cute and didn't have to put as much work into their looks when they were young, aren't as attentive to their health and to bad habits. In fact, they don't start to notice until it's too late(as in they look up one day and they've gained a lot of weight, because they never worked out and ate junk or they spent their twenties tanning, and one day wake up and their skin is a permanent orangey wrinkly type of look that I've seen on a lot of older white women). This is just a theory--and honestly could apply to the girl next door as well.
I guess it depends on what you're looking for and what you're used to encountering. This is one of those YMMV things. I'm just putting my own experiences out there they may not have anything to do with others. I have keloids myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 01:10 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,405,795 times
Just based on pictures I have seen of my old classmates, the ones that were "hot" back in the day had finer features and not as much fat in the face as those of us that were "cute". I have a round face and was really thin when I was younger and people would think I was 14 when I was 18 which really sucked. Now the girls that were considered really attractive back then are showing their age. I weigh about 50 lbs more than I did in HS (I am 41 now), but I was underweight when I was younger, plus I am small-boned. People still think I am younger than I am, or else they are just trying not to p*ss me off. LOL. Plus a lot of these women look like they live in the sun, which contributes to their aging appearance. I can be in the sun for five minutes and people think that I was tanning.

Old 08-14-2016, 11:03 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,143,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swgirl926 View Post
Just based on pictures I have seen of my old classmates, the ones that were "hot" back in the day had finer features and not as much fat in the face as those of us that were "cute". I have a round face and was really thin when I was younger and people would think I was 14 when I was 18 which really sucked. Now the girls that were considered really attractive back then are showing their age. I weigh about 50 lbs more than I did in HS (I am 41 now), but I was underweight when I was younger, plus I am small-boned. People still think I am younger than I am, or else they are just trying not to p*ss me off. LOL. Plus a lot of these women look like they live in the sun, which contributes to their aging appearance. I can be in the sun for five minutes and people think that I was tanning.
I was actually going to post something similar. I hate that I have a round face but as a I get older, people will still think I am younger than my age. My SIL was a real beauty when we were younger. The type that got her way on almost everything due to her looks. I have always been considered "cute".

She has a longer face which is generally considered more attractive if you pay attention to face shapes of models and so forth. I haven't seen my SIL in about 5 yrs. I was surprised that she looked much older. She and I are the same age. I kept my thoughts to myself as I figured I must look older too to her too but when we left my husband remarked that his sister looked much older than the last time he saw her 2 yrs ago. I have noticed similar with the women I graduated with that have a more elongated face. Still jealous as most of the haircuts I always wanted looked better on those type of face shapes.

Old 08-15-2016, 01:12 PM

18,529 posts, read 18,744,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My son in law says that you have to look at a girl's mother, in order to find out how she will age.
hahaha my hubby says that too.. but I look nothing like my mother at the same age..

Old 08-16-2016, 10:25 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,690,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My son in law says that you have to look at a girl's mother, in order to find out how she will age.
To an extent maybe but not 100%. A mother and daughter could have very different habits and experiences that change looks. One may be more into fitness then the other. One may be regular sunbather and other may always use sunscreen. Ect ect. My mom and I are quite different in those areas. She's a homebody and doesn't eat very healthy or get much exercise where I do routinely and love it. I have seen mothers and daughters as they both age who look quite different.

I would say lifestyle is the key, genetics has a small part. My 10 year reunion just passed and it's amazing how different people change. One girl who was a cheerleader and very popular in high school doesn't look anywhere near how she looked then, course 3 kids latter, a full time job and general life can also hit hard.

Old 08-18-2016, 02:26 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,399,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemodeled View Post
To an extent maybe but not 100%. A mother and daughter could have very different habits and experiences that change looks. One may be more into fitness then the other. One may be regular sunbather and other may always use sunscreen. Ect ect. My mom and I are quite different in those areas. She's a homebody and doesn't eat very healthy or get much exercise where I do routinely and love it. I have seen mothers and daughters as they both age who look quite different.

I would say lifestyle is the key, genetics has a small part. My 10 year reunion just passed and it's amazing how different people change. One girl who was a cheerleader and very popular in high school doesn't look anywhere near how she looked then, course 3 kids latter, a full time job and general life can also hit hard.

My sister was a "hotty" and considered really desirable when we were younger (high school through twenties), but she had a rounder face. I have a long face and couldn't get a date to save my life. (I wasn't a hot chick, nor the girl next door.) However, I was into makeup, hair & fashion. That hasn't changed either.

I think both my sister and I look our age (we're in our 40s and a year apart).

In my experience, the people I know who aren't aging well are sun-worshippers and/or were smokers. And definitely stress screws with how people look. I've seen people go through phases where they looked 10 years older because of stress, but once things got back on track for them, you could see the drastic improvement.

Old 03-31-2017, 02:24 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,643,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joffries View Post
So I will preface by stating I realize how a woman takes cae of herself plays a part. But having recently gone to my 20th high school anniversary I couldn't help but notice something. As long as it may be have been since graduating high school I still remember what many looked like back then. After attending my high school reunion one thing to me that I noticed was that the girls back then that would be considered "hot babes"... Really haven't aged that well. But the more traditional girl next door women really still look great.
I studied public health and found a pattern in the "Deep South" that may help explain that.
In the southeastern USA, the divorce rates are really high - 2nd only to Las Vegas. The
"southern belles" are typically very beautiful. Visit the many "southern" universities of the SEC and ACC
at a home football game, and the beautiful "hotties" will be in abundance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNQKOxJQ-P0

But I lived there long enough to know that many get divorced by their 30s or 40s and become single moms.
So this seems to be the pattern.
1. Extreme beauty leads to excessive attention from men.
2. The excessive attention starts early.
3. The attention leads to a premature relationship and premature marriage
4. Conservative southern "Bible Belt" social factors help propel the premature relationship into a doomed marriage.
5. The lack of financial, emotional, and sociological preparation usually leads to divorce with children.
6. The early parenthood, marital problems, stress hormones, anxiety, weight gain, etc. lead to accelerated aging.
What's fueling Bible Belt divorces - CNN.com

So the "southern belles" often age far more quickly than average. The beauty is often a dilemma.

Old 03-31-2017, 11:08 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,879,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
I studied public health and found a pattern in the "Deep South" that may help explain that.
In the southeastern USA, the divorce rates are really high - 2nd only to Las Vegas. The
"southern belles" are typically very beautiful. Visit the many "southern" universities of the SEC and ACC
at a home football game, and the beautiful "hotties" will be in abundance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNQKOxJQ-P0

But I lived there long enough to know that many get divorced by their 30s or 40s and become single moms.
So this seems to be the pattern.
1. Extreme beauty leads to excessive attention from men.
2. The excessive attention starts early.
3. The attention leads to a premature relationship and premature marriage
4. Conservative southern "Bible Belt" social factors help propel the premature relationship into a doomed marriage.
5. The lack of financial, emotional, and sociological preparation usually leads to divorce with children.
6. The early parenthood, marital problems, stress hormones, anxiety, weight gain, etc. lead to accelerated aging.
What's fueling Bible Belt divorces - CNN.com

So the "southern belles" often age far more quickly than average. The beauty is often a dilemma.
Interesting, but I don't think that explains much of the "hot women age worse" thing. Though being "hot" hurts relationship stability, according to a new study.

Meanwhile, obesity rates are relatively high in the South, smoking rates are relatively high there, and (smoking skin damage is mostly by sun sensitivity) sun exposure of course is higher in the South.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:49 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,368,374 times
Genetics and lifestyle are big factors in the aging process. My mother was gorgeous as a young woman, and still is in her mid-50s. Perhaps "black don't crack" is one factor. My grandma looked really good well into her early 70s.

Old 04-01-2017, 12:14 AM

7,682 posts, read 1,271,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
Much to my dismay I was always referred to as being cute. I would have preferred being exotically beautiful with mile long legs, but cute is what my genes dealt me.

Anyway, I'm 60 now and people still say I look the same as I did when I was younger. I'm sure they don't mean exactly the same because even I can see the wrinkles but apparently I haven't changed much over the years and people I haven't seen in decades still recognize me.
I call this being "terminally cute." Drove me crazy when I was younger but I kinda like being the "youngest" of my contemporaries now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty