Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 07:20 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,874,287 times

Advertisements

Maybe 1 in 5000 women peaks in her 40's.

I suspect that, putting aside cosmetic surgery, hot women rarely age well, due to lifestyle issues. And "hot" usually means somewhat curvy, to which gravity is unfriendly. There's actual data indicating a very low percentage of hourglass-shaped middle-aged women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 08:53 PM

33,305 posts, read 12,484,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Market Junkie View Post
The chick that played Elaine on Seinfeld has aged incredibly well...
Julia Louis-Dreyfus is hilarious....and laughter definitely helps. She's also on her first marriage, presumably a happy one. She's obviously worked very hard and earned her success, but she didn't come from nothing. Her father is a multi billionaire, and the family empire dates back to the mid 19th century.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:20 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,907,004 times
There's no telling how a woman is going to age. Part of it is just genetics. I've seen it with skin, my wife never had very many lines, yet there is a woman we know about her same age and her face is like a prune. Not from sun exposure either. Mom and brother have the same kind of skin.

Old 07-16-2016, 08:31 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,100,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
There's no telling how a woman is going to age. Part of it is just genetics. I've seen it with skin, my wife never had very many lines, yet there is a woman we know about her same age and her face is like a prune. Not from sun exposure either. Mom and brother have the same kind of skin.
This ^^^. I am almost 67, I get sun every day while out on my bicycle (but I don't smoke.) I have very few true "wrinkles", mostly dynamic character lines only when I smile. But I see some other women 10 - 20 years younger that never got sun who have faces like a relief map. It is mostly genetic. Everyone ages differently, and I think genetics is the biggest factor, followed by lifestyle.

Old 07-16-2016, 11:47 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,874,287 times
Aging also is affected by medications (at least easier skin damage from sun) and habitual facial expressions. I suppose hot girls smile more and tend to develop worse crow's feet.

Old 07-16-2016, 02:37 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,100,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Aging also is affected by medications (at least easier skin damage from sun) and habitual facial expressions. I suppose hot girls smile more and tend to develop worse crow's feet.
Smile lines, and eye crinkles are the most attractive "wrinkles" a person can have, male or female! I LOVE people who smile a lot, and always find them attractive.

Old 07-17-2016, 12:19 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,566,648 times
I find that confidence plays a big role in attractiveness, yet it is something that doesn't get mentioned as much. I have a lot more of it now that I'm in my thirties. With time, you learn to accept your flaws and get comfortable in your own skin. I actually feel much better about myself now than when I was in my late teens/early twenties. My hair, makeup, and clothing are about a thousand times better.

One thing I strongly believe also is staying out of the sun. A lot of those "hot" girls age fast because they make a habit of excessive sunbathing and going to the tanning salon all the time. A tan may look great on young skin... but it doesn't do any favors in long run. I'm on the pale side (French and Polish) so it's always been very tempting for me but I resist. I get a very subtle base each year but that's it... the rest is over the counter self tanner and body makeup for special occasions.

Some of the youngest looking people I know are also... you guessed it... vegetarians. Me personally, I could never give up steak. But that's just me. I also think there's nothing wrong with a glass or two of red wine of day but no more... it has compounds and antioxidants in it that are good for you. Smoking of course is terrible. But the truth is 85%+ of skin damage comes from the sun. Nothing you buy in a bottle can truly reverse it.

Old 07-17-2016, 07:15 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,270,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy00 View Post
I think this can be kind of subjective.. I mean in general black women don't get as much wrinkles as they age, but I think there are certain facial features that are typically Caucasian features (like big blue eyes) and these features can give the illusion of youth. And black people tend to have more of a gray skin tone, regardless of age.. Whereas white people tend to have rosy/pink skin tones that can make them appear young as they age, even if they do get some wrinkling.
Even with big blue eyes(which not all white women have in the first place lol), this does not make a woman that has wrinkly skin, and has aged--look younger. In fact I have to say that on average even white women with certain youthful features tend to age worse than other ethnicities with more melanin. The ones that eat well, stay out of the sun, and have great genes) age well. It's strange that you equate pink color to be a youthful feature even if it's coupled with aging (wrinkly saggy skin).. In fact your the first person I've ever heard make the connection that rosy skin can make someone look youthful as they age.... It is actually the opposite from what I've observed--that it is the lack of color and thus lack of melanin that makes aging harder on whites--or at least that's what I've read...

Unfortunately I think some attractive white women look their best when they are in their youth(teens and twenties), after having kids, being in the sun too often, and aging, it does seem to be harsher on their skin and face than other minority groups. I work with a ton of middle age white women and have lived in mostly white communities most of my life-the observations about aging are pretty spot on. Even with youthful Caucasian features(chuckles at what those are). Still I think with health, lifestyle, not tanning, and genes--there are European women that have aged well.

As for black women, it is definitely true that in general thanks to melanin and genes we age very well. However just like with other groups, if we have lived hard lifestyles it shows. I have met many black women that have not aged well because of smoking, drinking, poverty, and eating unhealthy. We are not immune to aging if we don't take care of ourselves. There are many black women that don't age well. I really do think aging well is a combination of genes, lifestyle, finances, and having more melanin def helps, but certainly doesn't make one immune to it if they have terrible lifestyles.

Last edited by Faith2187; 07-17-2016 at 07:26 PM..

Old 07-18-2016, 08:39 AM

579 posts, read 555,225 times
I don't know, my mom is white, in her 60's, has aged, and has big round blue eyes and she looks younger than a friend her age that is Mediterranean, olive toned skin, so more melanin than my mom.. Her friends skin is slightly less wrinkly, I suppose, but not enough to where she looks far younger than my mom. If my mom had smaller eyes I think she would look at least 10 years older. And big Blue eyes, or I guess big eyes in general, seem to be associated with baby faces. Older people with eyes that aren't big or round tend to look older even if they're skin isn't as wrinkly, imo. Wrinkles just aren't the only thing that make people look old.. I would say it's a combo of a having a "Baby face" and the wrinkles or lack thereof. I mean I know 25 year olds who don't really have wrinkles but have mature faces so they look a bit older than 25. Those types, when they hit their old age, probably won't be told "you look young" because they don't have baby faces and never did. And with the rosy skin.. I don't know, I think rosiness makes faces look younger. Rosy color is more youthful than other undertones. like when older people wear blush (properly), they tend to look a bit younger than if they leave their skin only one flat tone. I guess adding a little bright color to the skin can make someone look more youthful, is what I'm saying.

Last edited by Shimmy00; 07-18-2016 at 09:00 AM..

Old 07-18-2016, 09:00 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,729,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
See also: Helen Mirren vs. Lindsay Lohan
cant stand any of the two and see nothing pretty about Mirren at all.. she looks hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty