Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 09:12 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times

Advertisements

Go for the purple. And did you know that you can get purple lenses, too? Not all labs are able to offer that color, but you can ask around to find someone who does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2016, 09:41 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Go for the purple. And did you know that you can get purple lenses, too? Not all labs are able to offer that color, but you can ask around to find someone who does.

Tinted lenses for regular use? Or for sunglasses?

I don't mean to come across as ultra-conservative. Its just that neutral colors are a way to economize. Brown and black shoes, brown and black pants, go with anything. I've been using the same frames for about 4 years now, just have get new lenses. They are a brown, dull gold, plain looking pair. The eye doctor pointed out I had a generous frame allowance from my insurance, my current frames are getting a little worn and loose, and its always good to have a back up pair, so keep the old ones as a contingency. Also, it would take 1-2 weeks to have the lenses placed in the current frames, which means 1-2 weeks without my driving glasses! A very good eye doctor/salesman!

I also recently painted my nails bright blue. No one fell off their rocking chair

Old 07-02-2016, 09:53 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
It's your money, your choice. Sounds like you are leaning towards going with the purple

You can always get a spare pair later down the road. I did the two frame deal and am glad. I am so great misplacing them! One time they were on my head ( like a bandana) and I was livid that I couldn't find where I laid them

Old 07-02-2016, 11:28 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
I think black glasses look very harsh on some people. If you like the cranberry/purple ones, get them.

Old 07-03-2016, 12:10 AM

1,796 posts, read 1,661,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post

I don't mean to come across as ultra-conservative. Its just that neutral colors are a way to economize. Brown and black shoes, brown and black pants, go with anything. I've been using the same frames for about 4 years now, just have get new lenses. They are a brown, dull gold, plain looking pair. The eye doctor pointed out I had a generous frame allowance from my insurance, my current frames are getting a little worn and loose, and its always good to have a back up pair, so keep the old ones as a contingency. Also, it would take 1-2 weeks to have the lenses placed in the current frames, which means 1-2 weeks without my driving glasses! A very good eye doctor/salesman!

I also recently painted my nails bright blue. No one fell off their rocking chair
Don't worry about your glasses matching your other accessories. To me, items in the deep red/merlot/purple spectrum are nearly neutral. Plus they're on your face, hence they are more like hair and makeup than they are like, I don't know, a handbag. And I just put the qualifier there because I really don't mind handbags that don't technically "match" an outfit. If you wear what makes you feel most confident and exuberant, then you will radiate those feelings, making you more attractive (and interesting!)

Look at it this way--do you wear exclusively black eye makeup when you wear black? If not, then why worry about glasses that aren't black or brown! In any case, hope you love whatever you choose

Old 07-03-2016, 08:01 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Your glasses don't have to match your clothing!! You buy what looks good on you.
I'm an optician, and my patients ask me for my opinion RE frames every day. I give them my opinion but always remind them that "You'll be the one wearing them so be sure and choose what YOU want." Interestingly enough though, the older ladies choose LESS conservative glasses than younger ones. Younger ones are more concerned with what their friends/spouses will think and sometimes they are worried about the frames being appropriate for work. They nearly always choose black or brown.

Older ladies often choose purple, red, pink, other bright colors, or they will choose metal frames with big bling on the sides. I love their attitude. They feel more relaxed, especially since many of them have worn glasses for decades. Oh, and glasses don't have to match your outfit. No matter what color you get, they won't always match (not even if you get black)

Old 07-03-2016, 09:12 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,347,049 times
Go with the purple! I have both blue and purple glasses and I always get compliments on them.

I also prefer regular sunglasses, even though I do have the glasses that have tints. We all wear sunglasses anyway, so make yours stylish.

Have fun with your glasses.

As I get older, black is not a color I prefer around my face.

Old 07-03-2016, 10:30 AM

4,699 posts, read 3,278,686 times
What is your skin tone and hair color? My SIL had purple frames and switched to black. Personally I thought the purple was much more flattering on her. She has black hair and a fair complexion.

Old 07-03-2016, 12:36 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Oh for goodness sake, not everything you wear has to be *in fashion* and match what some random so called professional says is important.
Glasses are used for a practical life enhancing purpose, to see clearly, that should be the biggest concern that the glasses work properly. There should be no concern in regards to the frames of your glasses matching your unders......
Just because glasses aren't a fashion statement for you, don't try and shame others into thinking they should follow your line of thinking.

Not cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post

God no! No tinted lenses. They look silly indoors. And not those transition things!

Get a kick ass pair of sunglasses.

My nails are also blue!

Old 07-03-2016, 01:06 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Just because glasses aren't a fashion statement for you, don't try and shame others into thinking they should follow your line of thinking.

Not cool.

God no! No tinted lenses. They look silly indoors. And not those transition things!

Get a kick ass pair of sunglasses.

My nails are also blue!

Yes, I agree, those transition lenses don't work the way we expect. My eye doctor let me try some, just sample frames, and I didn't like them. He even let me go outside---hey, I could have run off with them
Mine! Mine!

Ok, when going from inside to outside in the bright sun, they "dimmed" but not to a level I would be comfortable with for a bright day. Coming back inside, it took a few seconds longer than I'd prefer to adjust, which I found annoying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty