Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 07:08 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,797,076 times

Advertisements

Watch your posture and keep a bounce in your step--it honestly doesn't matter how unlined your face is if the way you walk gives away your age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2016, 09:25 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Good luck getting a doctor's sympathy regarding your thyroid. Unless you're quite hypothyroid they won't do a thing. Oh, you feel tired. are gaining weight, just don't feel like you used to? They'll blame it all on menopause...which is a good bet, but still may be a combination issue with your thyroid. You may have to doctor shop a bit to find one who'll work with you.
I guess I was lucky. My thyroid was still in the normal range, but very w end of normal.

My military doctor started me on synthroid and boy what a difference. Weight came off, more energy. Felt great.

Old 07-09-2016, 09:26 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I guess I was lucky. My thyroid was still in the normal range, but very w end of normal.

My military doctor started me on synthroid and boy what a difference. Weight came off, more energy. Felt great.
This is great. I like to hear positive stories about encounters with doctors about thyroid.

Old 07-10-2016, 06:26 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
id like to offer an opinion here- being over 50 myself

I think this is the first generation that the majority of women did not smoke or "lay out in the sun" when they were younger

these two things will age women (and men) beyond their years

so- you lady's should be looking better than previous generations
particularly if you kept yourself up and well- some women just let themselves go especially after kids.

I see many 50 yr olds that look 30, I do believe we are looking younger and younger as a population..
most of us do not smoke,,,,do not worship the sun,,,and we are more hydrated with water and take in much less sugar than previous generations,,

you look at a 50 yr old 2-3 generations ago,,,they look much older today ,,,,,maybe because they went thru more wars/stress or the women had more kids and didn't take care of themselves (nutrition/disease, etc)

also keep in mind an attractive lady (to me) carries herself well , she is quick to smile and positive

Old 07-10-2016, 07:10 AM

3,423 posts, read 4,367,344 times
Smoking ages people like nothing else. Tanning, excessive drinking, stress, poor diet... they all contribute to someone looking less than healthy. You don't need a hard body to look hot. Just look healthy.

But, aside from healthy living, there's a lot an older woman (or man) can do to look more vibrant and attractive. I think a decent hairstyle will go a long way toward enhancing a person's looks when they're older. Forget the wild, unkempt hairdos you could pull off when you were young... think chic. My mother got away with very short hair when she was young, but once it was totally white, she actually grew it out... a long bob, and it turns heads, even in her 70s. I think this also applies to older men... a trim hairstyle makes it look like you put some effort into it, and you haven't just given up on grooming.

Makeup that isn't harsh or too dark is a also a very good idea.

Your figure changes as you age too, so it makes sense to take a second look at the fit of your clothes. Have you gone from an hourglass figure to an apple shape? Were you flat as a board when you were younger, but have more curves now? Then go through your wardrobe... "edit" out the clothes that aren't flattering anymore.

Old 07-10-2016, 08:44 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,765,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
a beautiful attitude and smile are ageless. Go that route.

Try lessening the conceit, it can give you a natural glow of joy.
I think this is #1. I have known women who could be pin-up models that radiate unhappiness. But with that being said, we do need to work harder as we age. There are some great tips on this thread.

1) Try to find inner peace and smile

2) Whiten teeth - crest pro strips work great - no need to spend hundreds at the dentist.

3) color your hair if you have greys (I don't know why women let their greys show - it is very aging). Test strand first!

4) Keep the makeup to a minimum. Older women can't get away with the heavy, vibrant make-up of younger women. Lip gloss is your friend. Stay away from matte, but also stay away from glitter.

5) Don't shop in the Juniors Dept. Dress like a woman.

6) Heels are your friend if you are able to wear them (I know not everyone can).

7) Obviously, watch your diet and work out or go for walks. You don't have to join a gym - there are great DVD's on Amazon, and buy a set of multi-size handweights (I bought mine at Wal-mart for $20.00 - comes with three sizes of weights).

8) Take a mulit-vitamin + calcium chews -drink lots of water.

9) Don't beat yourself up. It is much harder as we get older, but I think once a beauty, always a beauty.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:04 AM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

I see many 50 yr olds that look 30, I do believe we are looking younger and younger as a population..
most of us do not smoke,,,,do not worship the sun,,,and we are more hydrated with water and take in much less sugar than previous generations,,

you look at a 50 yr old 2-3 generations ago,,,they look much older today ,,,,,maybe because they went thru more wars/stress or the women had more kids and didn't take care of themselves (nutrition/disease, etc)

also keep in mind an attractive lady (to me) carries herself well , she is quick to smile and positive
I'm glad I'm not the only one who's noticed this. After so many trollish posts on the Relationships forum about how women are over-the-hill after 25 (seriously, that was a thing for awhile on that sub-forum), I was beginning to think I lived in some kind of Twilight Zone, where women in their 40's and 50's still looked like grad students. It's pretty common on the West Coast, though, and not only in rainy Seattle, but in sunny northern CA, too.
And yes, as to earlier generations, my mother looked like a grandmother at 50, and actually referred to herself as an "LOL"--a Little Old Lady at that age. She'd been smoking all her adults life, partied hard in college and continued the cocktail party lifestyle afterwards, and her skin was splotchy from too much sun exposure. Certain generations are like night and day in that regard, when compared.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 07-10-2016 at 09:23 AM..

Old 07-10-2016, 02:35 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
Being petite is tough because if you put on 5 pounds it shows very quickly. I'm 5'1" myself. A few years ago I read a book called "How Not to Look Old". It became my fashion bible to a certain extent.

Join a gym, lift some weights. There was a post on my FB page last week about an 80 year old woman who started working out in her 50's and she looks fabulous. Smile and check your posture. HRT can only do so much and since I've had breast cancer I'm not allowed to take it so I went back to the gym a few weeks ago. I am 61 and I want to stay as strong as possible for as long as possible.

Old 07-10-2016, 03:27 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
Good genetics play a huge part in how well we age. A psychologically and physically healthy person is more apt to be upbeat and more pleasant to be with and so we will also see them as more attractive. Much of that comes with our genetic inheritance and then just maintaining what we were fortunate enough to be born with by good health practices.

When it comes down to disposition even the most stunning woman is ugly if she has ugly thoughts and behavior towards others. Unless someone is just looking for a stunning woman for an accessory, a statement about themselves, and isn't really interested in an amicable partner.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather have pleasant company in my later years than a looker who is difficult to live with. Looks can be over-rated.

Old 07-10-2016, 04:29 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
id also like to add being a little plump can make you look younger in the face..

look at the "survivor" show I haven't seen it in years,,,but once the lady's started thinning out they looked older (more thin/drawn/gaunt in the face )

not sure if this is a fair thing to say ...but look at rev al Sharpton,,,,he use to be plump...now he is very thin and he looks 80 yrs old ( I don't know if he was sick or not)

the oldest(known) woman alive is 116 yrs old

I think she looks wonderful!! I see some 70 yr olds looking older than her

btw she eats bacon everyday!!!!! she said that's her secret of longevity!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hKW8f5-Ky4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty