Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 05:18 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,992,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
No; we think they are old people with dyed hair. And delusions! Although I must say that blondes have an easier time with this than brunettes.
I don't necessarily think of an older woman with colored hair as delusional or think anything negative of her... I just think she's someone who likes to color her hair.

There are 14-year-olds that fit that category too, and every age in between.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 05:32 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,992,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
I can't find it anymore, but it appeared on Yahoo's home page a year or so ago.

I wasn't exactly surprised. Every 50-to-70-year-old woman I know colors her hair, but I never think they are ten or fifteen years younger.

Does anyone really?
Hmmm.

Well, I was intrigued (I'm always intrigued when there's a study involved!) so I Googled.

This study suggests that gray hair was, independently of other factors, one thing that tended to make viewers perceive a composite as older.

This suggests the same, but unfortunately 1. it's the Telegraph and 2. the actual study wasn't linked. I'd have to look into it further.

Data summarized here (urgh, why don't articles ever seem to include references directly to the studies?) seems to show that people have perceptions of women and gray hair that include "old." (Ouch?)

Since these are all about perception and are, obviously, subjective, I have to assume it's the cultural link between "gray" and "older" and not physically how gray hair makes the face beneath it "look," if that makes sense. That could be why technically, coloring one's hair may not make a person look younger (i.e exactly the same fine lines, sun spots and other features exist either way), but she may be perceived based on cultural bias as younger. I don't *know* this, BTW. I don't even have a hypothesis for it, it's just a thought.

I've scrolled through pages and pages already and I need to go make dinner. This was Googling the phrase: "study women with gray hair" and these were the first studies, peppered among other non-study results that simply talked about various aspects of gray hair.

Now, even if people do think gray hair makes a person look older, OR if people think gray-haired people who color their hair are delusional and all sorts of other snarkiness, who cares? It's how you feel. This thread is about feeling "hot." For some women, that will include their hair as it is, including if it's gray, and that's awesome. I don't know how the OP feels about it, but it will be her decision. As for me, I don't know that I'll feel hot once I'm gray. I have hardly any gray now...maybe a total of five or six strands? And they're hard to find in my hair. However, I've colored my hair for decades. I just like to do it. It's an adventure. How about we not make judgments either way and just go by how we feel and what makes us happy?

I'd still like to see that Yahoo study, though. I'm a study fanatic, I need a 12-step program.

Old 07-11-2016, 05:36 PM

445 posts, read 770,664 times
A lot of people can be sexy their whole lives with little effort

Once you hit a certain age though that becomes harder if not impossible.

Diet and exercise

Old 07-11-2016, 08:07 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,763,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
You were on a roll until you said that.

For what it's worth, they actually did a study on older people with natural hair and colored hair. They asked people to guess their age, and guess what? No one was fooled into thinking the ones with colored hair were younger.

They could tell the age accurately regardless of hair color. This is because people look at more than hair color to gauge someone's age.

A person with a young face and gray hair, is still going to look younger than someone with an older face and colored hair.

If you want to tell yourself that gray hair is not aging, knock yourself out. Color can be soft - it doesn't have to look tacky or cheap. Also, we are not trying to "fool" people, any more than we are trying to fool people by using a good skin care regimen.

It's no crime to dye your hair, and nothing to be ashamed of.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:11 PM

Quote:
No; we think they are old people with dyed hair. And delusions! Although I must say that blondes have an easier time with this than brunettes.
Apparently, you have some bad colorists in your area.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:16 PM

I think the bottom line is to do what makes us feel pretty and confident. But that "inner happiness" give the most glow, IMO.

Personally, I like to give myself manicures, pedicures, facials and color my hair. Not sure if it works - I am still single, lol! But it makes me feel prettier and more youthful.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:35 PM

37,594 posts, read 45,972,346 times
Quote:
I'm not referring to hot flashes (that's another post for another thread), but how do some women do this?

I would say I a former "hottie" (petite, naturally thin all my life, great figure without exercising, clear dark complexion, thick shiny hair, never had to wear any makeup, etc.) who is now turning into her grandmother: short, fat, flabby, washed out, and grey. I'm even taking HRT, which I thought would be the fountain of youth, but no! I would blame menopause, but I see so many other older women who are STILL thin, fit, and vibrant-looking. I was always a natural beauty who never had to lift a finger to look good, so I'm really not in the habit. Do these women simply work hard at it - strenuously dieting, working out, dying hair, wearing makeup, tanning, getting cosmetic surgery and so on - or just lucky?
I've always worked out, run, swam...etc. So it never came natural for me. You need to start working on yourself.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:44 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
No; we think they are old people with dyed hair. And delusions!
Some women have to color their hair to stay employed and avoid being sidelined in their profession. I think federal congresswomen were polled, and nearly all of them color their hair. Life judges women more harshly, so sometimes, hoops need to be jumped through. Or worn permanently.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:37 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,117,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
I think a nice smile works wonders, I've done little else or more of the worse and though, I look my age, I'm hardly ever without favorable comments in real life. Not conceit, I just think more often than not it can just be luck. I'm certainly no great beauty, I'm fat, out of shape, but, at least once a week someone walks up to me and tells me I'm really pretty, stunning or some such silly thing. I smoked, sunned, though I very rarely did any drinking and especially not drugs and sure the looking haggard thing caught up the past few years, mostly I believe due to medications I've had to take, so I don't know. I do have my crappy days when I'm sure I leave the house and it looks like I was hit with a wall of bricks and I don't know what some people see to make them walk up to me in the strangest of moments at grocery stores or on the street and throw a compliment, but, I am certain my smile is a major contributing factor it sure ain't my body or my weekly workout routines. Menopause, schitmentopause

I have thought about going grey, still thinking on it, but really, only my roots get a tinge of grey so I just touch them up ever so often. I wear some makeup, but spend very little time putting little on for when I leave the house, but what I do take with me most everywhere is a smile when most people come my way.

Just mention myself, because letting some know, you don't have to be the conventional type to be considered attractive to everyone even when you're my age.
I could not agree more. A nice, genuine smile is THE most attractive asset a person can have. I too am an open, friendly person (due to my Latin heritage) and smile at everyone. People seem open to me, and I get compliments as well. I think being a friendly and confident person who smiles easily is perceived as attractive no matter what one's physical attributes are.

That said, TRosa, I have seen your photo, and you look great!

Old 07-12-2016, 12:41 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,313,570 times
I am on team smile and letting the joy of life show

And don't know that there is a hot after menopause especially when you need bladder control pads. No matter how you look on the outside, the organs are slowing down

Which is why a smile and positive outlook are more attractive than hot IMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty