Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 09:30 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times

Advertisements

Speaking as a guy ... be yourself, and show up in whatever you're comfortable with. When I date, I'm interested in the person, not the dating costume. We can work on things like that later *evil grin*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 10:22 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,611,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethw View Post
Good god. You are over thinking this. Just be you.
^THIS

but, seeing how she's been 'out of the game' for a few years, I see her dilemma.
As others have said, just be yourself. Enjoy the evening and I hope that it goes well and you get those silly butterflies in your stomach as you open the door when he comes to get you... Best of luck!

Old 07-13-2016, 12:57 PM

5,132 posts, read 4,481,664 times
I think a simple but elegant outfit of jeans/pants with a nice top and a jacket would be great for a casual, cool-weather date. Here are some ideas:

http://www.prettydesigns.com/wp-cont...ther-Pants.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...639575006b.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...7be5408831.jpg
http://www.collagevintage.com/wp-con...13/12/icwn.jpg

Fix your hair nicely, and with light makeup, you should look great.

I think a sheer top would be giving the wrong message. I'd advise you to dress more conservatively. This is someone you just met online. Get to know him before presenting yourself that way to him.

Old 07-13-2016, 05:19 PM

20 posts, read 13,077 times
Thanks again guys and girls for the perspectives and suggestions!

It's Thursday so I will probably pop out to the shops this evening and get a nice top. Raided the wardrobe yesterday afternoon and nothing seems to fit or is quite appropriate!

I do tend to notice guys = just wear something nice

girls = obviously much more detailed! but that's a given!

I personally like the third option Sage80 had suggested but not sure whether I can pull off that jacket look as I'm 5'3"!
Also that sheer top is that I have is far too tacky for a first/second dinner date!!

As an older woman (though I don't like to think that) my dilemma in all of this is that, yes I want to look confident, but also not give the wrong vibes that I'm too boring or prudish. I accept all guys like skin, but there is a very fine line between looking desperate and sexy... It's like I need to dress to sort of impress (not over the top)...I've worked relatively hard to keep my 46 year old body decent so I'd also like to show off a glimpse! Keep it interesting but not yet too intimate if anyone knows what I mean?

Anyway, if you don't hear from me till then, thank you all!! Time to go paint those nails and do a trial run of the makeup!

Old 07-14-2016, 12:19 AM

219 posts, read 162,880 times
I would do dark jeans and the red blouse with a shirt underneath it. The simple makeup you said you were thinking about (foundation, lip gloss, eyeliner, with perfume and clear polish) is perfect. I would go with heels over flats to make it a little dressier. Good luck, be relaxed, and be yourself. You don't want to overdue it, he knows how you dress already since you said you've met before. Don't worry about the age difference too much!

Old 07-15-2016, 08:04 AM

20 posts, read 13,077 times
Thanks so much all the for the input! Thought I would owe you all a little update! The night went very well!

It was about 12C tonight so note that cold by any standards but still a bit chilly. Here was what I settled on:

Makeup: Light foundation, pink glossed lips and mascara. Ditched the eyeliner, it just looked a bit weird.
Nails: I keep my nails fairly short due to work, but painted the hands and feet very girly light pink.
Outfit: Levis dark blue denims. I decided to re-used my sheer red blouse but with a spaghetti strap top beneath. Pea coat over the top.
Shoes: 4 inch silver sandal heels. Still very short compared to him (6'1")

Date: He was 15 minutes early (hadn't quite finished my make up yet) so I asked him to wait in the car. Steak dinner and followed by 2 drinks at the pub where there was board games available!! I paid for the meal, he paid for the drinks.

Him: White button down shirt and brown chino pants.

He was VERY impressed with the outfit! The night ended with a good night cheek kiss! Third date here we come!!

Again thanks everyone!!

Old 07-15-2016, 08:17 AM

24,476 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Super! Now go shopping for a top:>)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty