Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 07:20 AM

212 posts, read 194,185 times

Advertisements

I have a question for everyone. It is something I've been wondering about for decades. I am not a heavy drinker by any stretch of the imagination, but I've noticed something disturbing when I do indulge in alcohol, even just a beer or two. My facial skin goes red for days afterwards and extremely dry. Wrinkles appear where none existed!! The change is quite astonishing, since I usually have a clear, even complexion. This is not just a brief, hangover dehydration symptom. This lasts for a week or even two weeks after I've had the couple of drinks. After that period, my face returns to its normal state.

It saddens me because I am considering that I will have to ban alcohol from my life forever to avoid ruining my looks. I am not getting any younger, you know, and I am definitely vain! Trouble is: I do like to have a drink or two now and again.

Funnily enough, lately this is starting to occur when I take any kind of allergy medication.

Does anyone else experience something similar? Did you quit drinking altogether? Did you find a remedy that worked for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2016, 02:04 PM

105 posts, read 103,376 times
I sympathize with you, as I have the exact same problem.

I only drink once in a while. My skin is great, but for a couple of days afterward, it looks a little dull.

This seems like a pretty common problem.

When Grace Kelly was at the height of her popularity and good looks, she was told never to drink if she had a photo shoot the next day.

The only thing I can suggest is maybe more moisturizer and more B vits on "fun days".

BTW, friends of mine (male and female) who drink regularly look much older than those who don't!

Old 07-31-2016, 02:15 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,854,647 times
I can tell if someone is a regular drinker by the condition of their skin, especially if they are 40+

I think a lot of it can have to do with being dehydrated from drinking since ageing is actually the body just slowly drying out!

Old 07-31-2016, 07:02 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,944,719 times
Excess alcohol consumption can contribute to Rosacia.....perhaps you are getting dehydrated....and that's why you're getting temporary wrinkles...

Old 08-01-2016, 01:59 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,738,322 times
Hmm I don't have skin symptoms. But one rule I have is to chase every alcoholic drink with 1-2 glasses of water! Staying hydrated prevents the symptoms (headaches, poor sleep, etc).

Old 08-01-2016, 02:22 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,811,212 times
ALDH2 deficiency, maybe.

Old 08-02-2016, 06:57 AM

212 posts, read 194,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
ALDH2 deficiency, maybe.
What is ALDH2? I mean, I could do a search on it, but I'm lazy right now! And, yes, I have had to give up drinking completely. It was no great loss, but damn!

Old 08-02-2016, 09:16 AM

17,483 posts, read 38,908,361 times
I only drink wine, and/or a little beer and have never had these issues. However, any kind of hard liquor or mixed drinks affects me extremely negatively, so I never touch that stuff.

Old 08-02-2016, 09:48 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,738,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I only drink wine, and/or a little beer and have never had these issues. However, any kind of hard liquor or mixed drinks affects me extremely negatively, so I never touch that stuff.
It is the opposite for me! The hard stuff? No big deal. 2 glasses of wine? Wine on an empty stomach? Headaches, I sleep horribly etc. I only have wine with a meal! It makes me feel way more tipsy than the hard stuff. And tipsy faster.

Old 08-02-2016, 04:53 PM

17,483 posts, read 38,908,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
It is the opposite for me! The hard stuff? No big deal. 2 glasses of wine? Wine on an empty stomach? Headaches, I sleep horribly etc. I only have wine with a meal! It makes me feel way more tipsy than the hard stuff. And tipsy faster.
Well, it just goes to show how different we all are! And that's a good thing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty