Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 10:40 PM

18,527 posts, read 18,748,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
True the notion of stress causing grany hair is an overblown myth. My dad used to ta,e some protein shake or something along those lines, and it kind of made is hair darker, which he is gray all over. But he did not take it for long and he does not recall it's name.

Yes I also want to know what it was.
Ive had a stressed life for a long time, and also have a chemical allergic illness, which Ive had since age 16, which also means my body is deficient in certain things to fight off illnesses..so to me it definitely has nothing to do with it... as my hair is still very dark at 69, its to do with melanin... I also tan very easily, so are they linked do you think...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2016, 08:08 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Ive had a stressed life for a long time, and also have a chemical allergic illness, which Ive had since age 16, which also means my body is deficient in certain things to fight off illnesses..so to me it definitely has nothing to do with it... as my hair is still very dark at 69, its to do with melanin... I also tan very easily, so are they linked do you think...
They are linked somewhat. I too, tan very easily and have brown eyes. But I do have some gray hair, age 66. My dad had thick salt and pepper hair until he died at 79, my mom however was solid white in her 40s.

Old 07-31-2016, 09:58 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,471,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Good for you friend, send photos..... isnt going grey to do with less melanin or something like that...
Yes. I've heard it said somewhere that people who have darker shades of hair to begin with are that way because their hair has greater amounts of melanin in it. So if your natural hair color is brown, for example, it has more melanin than someone with blond hair.

I was born with blond hair, and I started noticing some grays coming in at the sides of my head just above my ears when I was in college. Now I'm in my mid-fifties, and when I don't color my hair, there is a significant amount of gray in it. When I moved to NC last year, I hadn't colored my hair in months, and when I went to the DMV to get my driver's license, the woman asked me if she should put gray as the color of my hair.

Unfortunately for me, I'm not one of those guys with the "salt and pepper" look that some here have said they like either, since I never had dark hair to begin with. When my hair is gray, it just looks kind of bland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty