Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 08:04 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
Funny...It was a simple question, and neither one of you answered it. You both just raged.
People are very defensive about their defenses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 08:19 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Seems to me that we women have been painfully victimized throughout history (by ourselves and by others) to look sexy and attractive.

The Chinese women suffered through foot binding because some Chinese men found it enticing.

We go through very painful waxing of our tender places to go bare.

Lots of us (myself in my younger years) wear or wore stilletos and other uncomfortable shoes to make our legs look attractive. And we have the blisters, hammer toes, corns and bunions to prove it.

We constrict and contort our bodies into hot, tight, uncomfortable Spanx to contain our curves (and fat)

Back during Civil War times, women wore laced corsets to make their waists tiny -- and used to faint from wearing them.

Now, history repeats itself. Modern women are starting to wear "waist trainers" to whittle their waists. This, despite the fact that these trainers can displace our organs and cause major pain if not illness.

Why?

Why do we do this? Men do nothing comparable. They let it all hang out. They wear comfortable shoes. Ask a man to wear Spanx or a waist trainer and see the reaction of 99.9% of men.

And yet we do it...

Are we stupid -- or slaves of fashion? Why us? Why not men, too?

Is there not such thing as a "natural" woman anymore??
Speak for yourself, OP. Why do you need spanx? I don't know anyone who owns any or needs that. I nor my friends have never owned stilettos or any kind of high heels. Is this a regional thing? Are women in some parts of the country more into that sort of thing?

Old 08-15-2016, 01:05 PM

4,042 posts, read 2,711,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
People are very defensive about their defenses.

Pot meet kettle.

Old 08-15-2016, 01:25 PM

4,042 posts, read 2,711,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
I know. Why are people so bothered that women who enjoy the Fashion and Beauty Firum actually like fashion and beauty. So weird.🙄

Yep. This.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:45 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlj1225 View Post
Pot meet kettle.
"Defensive" is responding with a lot of anger and not much logic. I've logically explained (or tried to explain) my position over and over. I'm not angry about it; to each his own! But understand why...

Old 08-16-2016, 07:50 AM

4 posts, read 2,214 times
Default Nature

Just because it's in our nature. We love it, even in times when you just get sick of thinking about combining outfits and shoes

Old 08-16-2016, 10:10 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,691,193 times
I think for some it's feeling you must keep up with a standard, shown on TV, movies, magazines ect. Competition even to look as pretty as the next girl. Yes it's obvious and always has been, woman are much more pushed into looking good. Makeup, nice clothing, being the "perfect" size, curves in right spot and great hair... List goes on. I would say I was quite a victim of that in high school and early 20s but I am MUCH more comfortable now in my late 20s. Maybe better self esteem or just not caring what people think as much (or both). Sure I still do wear makeup when I go out(except quick errands) and I like to look put together but I buy what I like and what's on clearance that fits nicely. I'm not wrapped up in the consumerism of fashion anymore. Iv been done with designer labels for awhile now. I cut and color my own hair, never have had a pedi/mani and probably never will but I do paint my nails sometimes.

Anyways, I think a lot (not all) of women become more confident as they get older and realize this standard of fashion is fading.. It's not going to matter much 20 years from now. Just do what makes you happy and feel good but don't get consumed by it!

Old 08-16-2016, 09:09 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Last it was the "thigh gap."

Now it's the "Ab Crack."

See, men don't think of this rubbish. This is from women who are trying to distinguish between themselves.

The 'ab crack' is newest body trend to spark social media outrage | OddChatter

Old 08-19-2016, 01:51 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,907,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
"Defensive" is responding with a lot of anger and not much logic. I've logically explained (or tried to explain) my position over and over. I'm not angry about it; to each his own! But understand why...
You are one of the only angry posters on this thread and many of us want to know WHY you are so bothered. We keep repeating the same things over and over. You keep telling us what we feel and why we do the things we do. You are wrong and maybe could use a little makeover so you could FEEL more attractive. There is nothing wrong with physical attractiveness along with inner beauty. The two can co- exist and they do in many beautiful women over 60 that I know and love.

Old 08-20-2016, 08:28 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,653,398 times
The busy girl buys beauty The pretty girl buys style
And the simple girl buys What she's told to buy
And sees her world Through the brightly lit eyes
Of the glossy romance of fashion
Where she can learn...
Top tips for the gas cook Successful secrets of a sexual kind
The daily drill for beautiful hair
And the truth about pain -- Billy Bragg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty