Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 01:07 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
IMHO, the gentler arts of enhancing our female beauty with hair coloring or make-up--or clothes that flatter our bodies are one thing. No foul, no harm.

It's the painful actions like the weird waist trainers or the so-called Brazilian waxing (ouch!) and wearing shoes that mutilate our feet that I wonder about.

I read that some women who love the pointy-toed high fashion footwear are actually having a toe removed so their feet will fit into those shoes.

Ugh!

Just cannot imagine.

Why??
Beats me. I was 19 when I had to go to a podiatrist to remove 14 plantar warts from one foot. That's when he told me I was working up to a bunion if I didn't stop wearing high heels. Done. Not a slave to fashion. There's no need to be anymore. You can dress nicely to your body and not worry about fashion. You'll look better and feel better...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 03:06 PM

876 posts, read 812,623 times
That is a great question. I'm always amazed at the beautiful women who do everything they can to enhance their feminine beauty with makeup, clothes, shoes, and accessories. They are already very attractive, even as a "plain" girl with sweats and a pony tail. Men really don't care that much, even though a hot, well made up and dress babe will get their attention.

It's not necessary to attract men that's for sure. It makes sense that women are dressing up for other women, as a way to show them that they can compete for their men. So it's an arms race of sexual attractiveness. Women use makeup and clothing to enhance their breasts, butt, face, and legs to advertise their availability to other women's men.

There's no denying that it's also a way for women to get a little power. That's their right, and it works a lot of the time.

Old 08-07-2016, 03:46 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
Quote:
True! But until you've walked a mile after cramming your tender feet into pointy-toed, high-heeled stilletos you've no real beef, IMHO!!

Let's see if these photos will show up:

http://www.oc3.ca/wp-content/uploads...aged-badly.jpg

https://images.sciencedaily.com/2009..._1_900x600.jpg
Yeah, no go for me. I have refused to wear heals and pointy shoes, just cuz they are so dang uncomfortable. For my wedding, I wore flats. Now, I wear tennis shoes to work in the winter, and Tevas or flip flops in the summer. Wide, and lots of wiggle room for toes.

A Minnesota high school had their kids wear Crocs to prom this year. For free.
Crocs is footwear of choice for Minneapolis South High prom - StarTribune.com

Old 08-07-2016, 04:14 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,577,103 times
Just my two cents,

We need to give this whole system a makeover (if that's an appropriate pun). For it's difficult to not care about your appearance and society's opinion of you when it's constantly reinforced by the media, friends, and coworkers. My guess is that the media is the main culprit. We would be truly free from nonsensical trends if we shook off the chains of tyranny and said to the world, "I don't care any more!" This would have to be done collectively, and we would have to create interest groups to pressure the media into supporting our cause and not just sending in skilled marketers to rob us of our freedoms and "put us back in our place."

Old 08-07-2016, 05:18 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,226,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Just my two cents,

We need to give this whole system a makeover (if that's an appropriate pun). For it's difficult to not care about your appearance and society's opinion of you when it's constantly reinforced by the media, friends, and coworkers. My guess is that the media is the main culprit. We would be truly free from nonsensical trends if we shook off the chains of tyranny and said to the world, "I don't care any more!" This would have to be done collectively, and we would have to create interest groups to pressure the media into supporting our cause and not just sending in skilled marketers to rob us of our freedoms and "put us back in our place."
Oh puh-leeze. People love blaming every.damn.thing on the media, it's become a scapegoat for everything from violence to racism to rape etc etc. That's BS. It's just human nature, and in fact nature in general to want to attract a mate, and compete with other for mates, and assert your status among others. Appearance is one way for women to do that. It's been around waaay before 'media' even existed, likely even before the written word existed. I would wager women (and men) have been trying to make themselves more attractive since caveman times, with furs and piercings and bone jewelery and body paint. If you look at primitive tribes still around now, with no exposure to technology, you'll still see this. In parts of Africa women stretch out their necks with rings, you've probably seen it. The phenomena the OP mentioned, like Chinese foot binding and corsets also exists long before 'media' as we know it. How do you explain it back then?

You can say a lot of what we do now is more 'for women' rather than men - but I'm betting you, if a bunch of women got stuck on an unhabited island with no men around, few of them would be waxing their bikini lines and giving themselves botox injections and breast implants - including those who claim to be 'doing it for themselves'. That's bs. It's a competitive drive, even if it's on a subconscious level, it's still driven by competition for men and power.

Old 08-07-2016, 05:43 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
... if a bunch of women got stuck on an unhabited island with no men around, few of them would be waxing their bikini lines and giving themselves botox injections and breast implants - including those who claim to be 'doing it for themselves'.
I would still want my mascara, blush, lipstick and my eyebrows and upper lip waxed.

Old 08-07-2016, 05:49 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Quote:
Is there not such thing as a "natural" woman anymore??

Come to my neck of the woods. Most of the women I know are natural

Old 08-07-2016, 05:50 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I would still want my mascara, blush, lipstick and my eyebrows and upper lip waxed.

I don't do the rest but waxing is a must.

Old 08-07-2016, 06:05 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,426,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Yes there's still the vanity factor;

Old 08-07-2016, 06:33 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,905,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
No *we* don't, I am just as attractive at 55 as I was at 45,35,25,15,5 and everywhere in between without false or fake enhancement. The only enhancement I do have is glasses that I did not have to get until I was 45 and they are nothing spectacular but do what they are made to do.
I won't insult you. I have to say that most women even black women need some enhancement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty