Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 11:05 PM

823 posts, read 1,772,906 times

Advertisements

Interesting question, because I'm currently asking myself the same question as I try and find a replacement for the $200 Coach pair I just lost.

It's hard for me to find sunglasses that fit, so I would shell out the $$ for a great pair. But what if I lose them again?

I don't like the quality of the ones at Target, Kohl's, JcPenney, etc. I love the discount stores--Nordstroms Rack (still pricey), Marshalls, and Ross.

I might get the $250 Maui Jims polarized ones I saw, but will shop around for a much better deal. I feel comfortable paying $100 for a good quality pair.

Incidentally, my vision insurance will not cover sunglasses unless they are prescription, but my medical insurance does! Go figure. The salesperson at Target Optical asked about my insurance, which ended up saving $50 on a pair of Coach that I will have to sadly return.

So if you go to the vision center, check and see if your health insurance will cover sunglasses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 11:08 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,883,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russlancea View Post
Interesting question, because I'm currently asking myself the same question as I try and find a replacement for the $200 Coach pair I just lost.

It's hard for me to find sunglasses that fit, so I would shell out the $$ for a great pair. But what if I lose them again?

I don't like the quality of the ones at Target, Kohl's, JcPenney, etc. I love the discount stores--Nordstroms Rack (still pricey), Marshalls, and Ross.

I might get the $250 Maui Jims polarized ones I saw, but will shop around for a much better deal. I feel comfortable paying $100 for a good quality pair.

Incidentally, my vision insurance will not cover sunglasses unless they are prescription, but my medical insurance does! Go figure. The salesperson at Target Optical asked about my insurance, which ended up saving $50 on a pair of Coach that I will have to sadly return.

So if you go to the vision center, check and see if your health insurance will cover sunglasses.
Love Maui Jim's too so they may be my next pair!

Old 08-07-2016, 11:20 PM

5,325 posts, read 8,497,330 times
I got my first pair of expensive (to me) sunglasses back in 2007. They were $80 and have polarizing lenses. I think they are Ralph Lauren. I still have them!! I love how they cut the glare when driving, even on cloudy days.

Old 08-07-2016, 11:48 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,031,170 times
$8.

I have waaay too many kids to pay more than that. No matter how hard you try; kids will find them & break them.

My longest-lived sunglasses "lived" for about one month. The shortest-lived was literally 45 minutes.

Old 08-07-2016, 11:48 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,749,784 times
My most expensive sunglasses were $185...prescription glasses that change to sunglasses when you go outside. I've never worn them outside in the sun. I hate wearing glasses and can't get used to them.

I wear contact lenses and I wear cheap sunglasses whenever I go outside. I like big sunglasses that cover a lot of my face, because I have rosacea and sunlight is very hard on my skin.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:14 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,917,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
People just have their thing, I guess.
Glasses and handbags are my "thing".

I buy new sunglasses rarely. I've been wearing my current pair for about five years. I need prescription lenses, and my lenses are quite pricey, so I try to get good quality frames that will last. I spend around $300 or so for frames, then have the lenses replaced every year or two for a couple of hundred bucks.
I have a version of these right now.

https://jet.com/product/detail/2821c...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

Old 08-08-2016, 12:19 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,749,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post

I buy new sunglasses rarely. I've been wearing my current pair for about five years. I need prescription lenses, and my lenses are quite pricey, so I try to get good quality frames that will last. I spend around $300 or so for frames, then have the lenses replaced every year or two for a couple of hundred bucks.

My daughter has a generic knockoff of those sunglasses, except in black. They're a pretty close copy. She gets compliments on them all the time.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:22 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,773,542 times
I think my wife paid $180 for my Ray-Bans, but heck, I wear cargo shorts, so style is apparently lost on me.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:24 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,917,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My daughter has a generic knockoff of those sunglasses, except in black. They're a pretty close copy. She gets compliments on them all the time.
I have the black ones (real) right now. They've lasted me forever! I haven't taken the new ones in yet for lenses. I also wear a version of the Prada Baroques in my regular glasses. And I have people stop me and complement me all the time. Probably why I don't go with a different style !

Before I wore prescription lenses, I would lose cheap sunglasses all the time. I found that when I bought my first pair of "good" ones, I was more responsible with them.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:30 AM

19,235 posts, read 15,104,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post

Lol, I'm into handbags more. And shoes. But still, I don't care about brands, etc. I just like what I like, and I just can't see paying a huge amount for them. I just can't see it.

I can see how prescription lenses would be different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty