Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 09:38 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times

Advertisements

Most of that stuff is stupid/tacky/crappy at any age. A few of them are totally fine. Assigning a bunch of random "cutoff" ages to any of them is moronic. Oh, really? This is okay, but not a day after 28? What's so special about being 27 that it makes x,z,y outfit acceptable, but not so after 28? Bizarre.

And does anybody outside of those participating in bachelorette parties wear tiaras? Like, in earnest? As a fashion statement? Not buying it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swgirl926 View Post
OK. I actually went and clicked on the article and went through the slideshow.

I notice that alot of the expert tips mentioned "high end", "designer", etc. I get the part about buying things that are quality and well-constructed. But why should it cost me more to dress myself just because I am over 40?
Right? I liked the comment about "This shouldn't ever be hanging next to your DVF collection."

Because we ALL have entire collections of Diane Von Furstenburg, amirite?

Old 08-09-2016, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Ew, clickbait. I wear what I want. Maybe someday I will want to look matronly and sedate, but not yet, thank God. My grandmas wear powder blue seersucker tops with matching capris embroidered with bees. I'm not there yet.
LOL. My grandma went out dancing for both my bachelorette and my sister's bachelorette, each time with a group of people in their 20s-40s. She was 79 at my sister's and 81 at mine. She is a tiny, petite blonde, and looked adorable in her designer dark-washed jeans. I doubt the day will come when she dresses like a grandma, and she's been a grandma for 40 years. She doesn't look stupid, either...always tasteful.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:51 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
I didn't know there was actually seersucker anything anymore. In fact, my autocorrect just tried to change the word. Is that still a "thing"? A knit or blend or whatever? Clothes are still made out of it?

Old 08-09-2016, 09:55 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,402,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I didn't know there was actually seersucker anything anymore. In fact, my autocorrect just tried to change the word. Is that still a "thing"? A knit or blend or whatever? Clothes are still made out of it?
Yes seersucker is a weave usually created from cotton or cotton blend fabric. It makes puckers in the fabric and is worn as a cooler alternative to formalwear. As in seersucker suits or dresses. It must cost more to produce, because it really does not seem to be as common anymore. Here is some info:
Why We Love National Seersucker Day | Southern Living Blog

Old 08-09-2016, 09:55 PM

I got a couple of outfit sets for my 10-month old for the summer, and one of them is a sailboat printed onesie with pinstriped seersucker shorts. It's pretty adorable.

Old 08-09-2016, 10:03 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Yes seersucker is a weave usually created from cotton or cotton blend fabric. It makes puckers in the fabric and is worn as a cooler alternative to formalwear. As in seersucker suits or dresses. It must cost more to produce, because it really does not seem to be as common anymore. Here is some info:
Why We Love National Seersucker Day | Southern Living Blog
Oh. Okay.

I mean it rings a bell...but I swear I haven't seen it in probably 30 or more years.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:56 AM

45 posts, read 83,907 times
I agree with some of these. Not all.

I'm turning 40 this year. I lost 80 pounds a few years ago and have been working hard sculpting my body these past 2 years.

I'm the smallest I've ever been as an adult and I rock the heck out of a crop top and hot pants.

There is a time and place for everything and I wouldn't wear them together but to say I can't wear them because I'm over 35 is bs.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:15 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
I think part of the getting older fashion choices should mean understanding what outfits are appropriate for the ocassion and dressing accordingly. Our society has lost a lot of the decorum on what's appropriate for the ocassion. There's wearing hot pants to a night club vs trying to wear them at work.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:46 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Absurd. Wear what you like and makes you happy.
Agreed. I wouldn't let others decide for me what to wear. Judgmental people aren't worth knowing, so why would I care what they think? Geez!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty