Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2016, 03:18 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,378,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
What are the three age-related changes to your appearance that you fear most? If you can only think of one or two, that's fine.
I am almost 62 and unhappy with my whole body, period. Once I realized I had become invisible and that partners for a rewarding sex life no longer seemed plausible, I stopped trying, ignored my urges and my body, and went into depression and isolation for 15 years.

I moved to a seniors residence 8 months ago and I am getting mentally healthier in fact rejoining life and making friends.

I've decided I am still young enough to enjoy my body if I commit to some hard work, losing weight, do some body shaping including abs, and take up Yoga for healthy flexibility. Also resume wearing makeup and coloring my hair.

I am seriously considering plastic surgery. I must lose weight, do some body shaping including abs, and get good at Yoga for flexibility. All I need is to improve body image and be willing to work hard to make the changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 03:31 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,224,281 times
Menopause gut
Under-eye bags
Sagging jawline

Old 08-12-2016, 03:34 PM

21,873 posts, read 12,916,978 times
Once you start with the "artifice," if I may use that term for hair-dying, make-up, and plastic surgery, where and when do you draw the line? If you don't, you end up looking like Cher... I don't like the changes that come with aging, but I don't plan to do anything...

Old 08-12-2016, 03:39 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,856,088 times
Yikes!!! This thread is a TMI read.

Old 08-12-2016, 03:41 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,174,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
What are the three age-related changes to your appearance that you fear most? If you can only think of one or two, that's fine.
A female friend of mine said, "Looking like a turkey is bearable, but knowing that no one wants me for dinner kills me."

Old 08-12-2016, 03:44 PM

5,848 posts, read 5,270,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
A female friend of mine said, "Looking like a turkey is bearable, but knowing that no one wants me for dinner kills me."

OMG, I forgot about the turkey neck. Both my grandmother & my father had that. I guess I'm destine for the same thing.

Cat

Old 08-12-2016, 06:40 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,975,074 times
Just being invisible, not being wanted.

But I mean what's the alternative? And every single person goes through it. (Aging, I mean.)

I think if I had a fear, per se, a legitimate fear, it would be becoming incapacitated.

Old 08-12-2016, 07:10 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,088,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
I'm 62. the one thing I never considered was losing my brows but darn if it hasn't happened. I never had lush brows but even though they were on the thinner side they were shaped nicely and I never had to pluck them. Now I am almost browless closest to my nose but still have brows on the outer edges. I also have the beginning of jowls. Thank goodness my skin is still in good condition. I keep active physically and mentally so that at least keeps me feeling younger.
Huh...I never thought of that. I HATE my brows because they are too thick so maybe with age I won't have to wax anymore?

My mom used to tell me I should be happy because I had "Brooke Sheilds" eyebrows...um; no.

I have very Mediterranean eyebrows.

And I'm too cheap to pay for a wax...I buy those pre-waxed strips & let 'em rip.

It wouldn't be that bad except that I suck at it & I'm too ADD to do better. More than once I've actually ripped off an entire brow!

Old 08-12-2016, 07:19 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,088,664 times
I guess after reading & participating through 12 pages of this thread; I have realized the truth about myself.

I don't think that in my heart I feel like I have anything left to offer after my looks are all gone.

My brain knows different: I've brought 11 children into this world. I have a college education & have been thanked by many people for having been a good nurse to them or a loved one...I must be good for SOMETHING else...

But in my heart I'm not sure if this matters. And someone my age should know better.

NOW what?

Old 08-13-2016, 03:14 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,668,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Here's how you take care of this situation: You begin as a young child, doing many sorts of progressively-more difficult exercise. You keep this up all through your life, never letting your body have a chance to decline. Also, you eat nothing but wholesome and nutritious food and completely avoid alcohol, caffeine, nicotine and unneeded drugs. Get plenty of sleep and avoid stressful situations. Don't have relationships with irresponsible people who may give you diseases or abuse you. Most important, do not have children. There's already 7.3 billion people on the planet and a contribution from you is not needed. It's all very simple.
I wonder how many have done all of that. I did miss a couple of those boats, but did not do caffeine, smoking or unnecessary drugs. Have had some alcohol, but don't really care for it, was better at sleeping when younger and have had stress. I did choose to not have children. Too many go ahead for the wrong reasons, then many grow into being dysfunctional personalities who attempt being involved with others, as you describe.

Last edited by In2itive_1; 08-13-2016 at 03:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty