Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 01:21 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,884,407 times

Advertisements

Also, Pandora is not costume jewelry so if someone is looking for that kind of thing then Stella And Dot is more appropriate. Pandora charms are made very well like Tiffany charms, which are also wonderful to wear and collect. These charms are made by similar jewelers as John Hardy, as I mentioned before with quality materials. Alex And Ani is trendy costume jewelry for young people but I honestly just buy Pandora for my daughter since she can always have the charms. She layers then on a necklace. I don't enjoy costume jewelry... never have. Different strokes for different folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 01:23 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,884,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I get my jewelry custom made on Etsy. I don't like mass marketed jewelry. My engagement ring is a custom cathedral set rose cut white sapphire solitaire, although the wedding band wasn't custom made. It's a channel set white gold diamond band. My other jewelry is also custom made, usually heavy silver or rough diamond pieces from Israel or Turkey. I love having pieces that are one of a kind.
There are American made jewelers that make custom and hand fabricated pieces. You should check out Twist on line. Also, just a note, that unless a ring is hand fabricated, it was cast from wax and most jewelers send their wax forms out to the same jewelers that specialize in casting. So your one jeweler probably sent your engagement ring to be cast in LA or NYC then finished your piece in studio. Best bet for engagement rings is a very high quality jeweler, preferably somewhat local as you can get repairs done by the actual jeweler.

Old 08-22-2016, 03:21 PM

15,199 posts, read 10,191,658 times
The only thing I liked about the Pandora bracelets is I always knew what to get my sister for her birthday and Christmas. Now you guys are saying they are already passé?

Old 08-22-2016, 04:12 PM

16,351 posts, read 12,336,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
The only thing I liked about the Pandora bracelets is I always knew what to get my sister for her birthday and Christmas. Now you guys are saying they are already passé?
If she still wears it, it shouldn't matter whether or not it's "passé".

Old 08-23-2016, 01:57 PM

554 posts, read 620,122 times
I am so over Pandora jewelry.

Old 08-24-2016, 06:57 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,351,321 times
I think that all sorts of charm bracelets will stand the test of time over the long haul. I like them all because of the stories associated with them. I have a charm bracelet that my grandfather started for my grandmother back in the 1930s and it has really cool "Route 66" style charms on it. I've worn it all my life.

I like my Pandora charm bracelet as well and I'm pretty sure that one of my granddaughters will appreciate it one day as well.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:17 AM

4,486 posts, read 4,948,659 times
Jewelry trend for young girls where I live...
These Lokai plastic bracelets. mylokai.com
You'll see young girls with 100.00 dollars worth of these stacked on one arm.
http://mylokai.com/authenticity

Old 08-24-2016, 07:23 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,876,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
There are American made jewelers that make custom and hand fabricated pieces. You should check out Twist on line. Also, just a note, that unless a ring is hand fabricated, it was cast from wax and most jewelers send their wax forms out to the same jewelers that specialize in casting. So your one jeweler probably sent your engagement ring to be cast in LA or NYC then finished your piece in studio. Best bet for engagement rings is a very high quality jeweler, preferably somewhat local as you can get repairs done by the actual jeweler.
That is true. My engagement ring was made in North Carolina. Although the stone itself was gorgeous (it is a patented cut not available anywhere else,) the setting did not work well for me. It wasn't the jeweler's fault; I chose a setting I thought would look good but instead it made the stone look dark and dirty. I decided to get the stone reset in a cathedral setting, which I did through a local jeweler. It all turned out well, however. I like the new setting much better. It's a lot flashier and even paying for the new setting, it wasn't terribly expensive because it was a sapphire.

Old 08-25-2016, 07:07 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,351,321 times
Another very good option for wedding sets is to go to a jeweler who specializes in estate jewelry. I love my wedding set and what we did was go to an estate jeweler, pick out a vintage set (looks like it's from the 1940s or 1950s) and then replaced the center stone with a loose stone we chose from her collection of loose stones.

I love it because I will probably never see another ring like it on anyone else's finger. Oh, and it cost about half of what a comparable set (in terms of quality of stones) would have cost in a retail store.

Like Scooby said, getting the stone set in a cathedral setting really makes it pop. I was afraid I would get it hung on stuff or keep knocking it into things but so far so good and that was ten years ago.

Old 08-27-2016, 09:49 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,731,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I get my jewelry custom made on Etsy. I don't like mass marketed jewelry. My engagement ring is a custom cathedral set rose cut white sapphire solitaire, although the wedding band wasn't custom made. It's a channel set white gold diamond band. My other jewelry is also custom made, usually heavy silver or rough diamond pieces from Israel or Turkey. I love having pieces that are one of a kind.
I haven't had great luck with Etsy jewelry, most of the things I have gotten feel really unfinished. I know that is a trend, but it isn't my trend.

I have been getting most of my jewelry from a couple of local stores. Each is owned by a jewelry designer and then they curate other hand,are jewelry that matches their aesthetic. I have gotten really interesting and versatile pieces from these places. I wasn't into jewelry but these stores have looks that are edgy and classic at the same time so it works for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty