Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 02:11 PM

584 posts, read 2,149,535 times

Advertisements

Is there any particular brand of tub you would recommend or stay away from? How about clear plastic vs solid color plastic? Is there a difference in how those would not become slimy/greasy? I've seen some clear plastic ones in the past kindof have this streak if you run your finger over it, even when clean. Also, how big of a container would you use for storing things like winter clothes and coats and special occasion outfits? I can't seem to keep spiders out of my house and I know they love stacks of clothes and boxes...I don't want them getting in there. What if I put tape around the top lid to keep them out? Will this be bad for the clothes? I don't want the clothes to turn colors or whites become yellow type of situation. They will be stored in a room that is air conditioned, no sunlight, so I'm not worried about humidity. I just need more room, as I have no closets in my bedroom and am currently just using dresser and cabinet with all clothes folded. Not ideal, but it is what it is. So I have no room for off season or barely used items.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 07:25 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
We have several big rubber tubs to store sweaters and winter gear off season. Throw a couple cedar blocks in each to repel bugs and keep the fabric (and boots) smelling good. Also, be sure to wash everything before storing it.

We got big clear tubs from Ikea. They are relatively inexpensive compared to Rubbermaid, etc. and I can see which one I need to open.

Old 09-23-2016, 02:57 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,150,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
living in a smaller apartment, I store stuff year around in tubs...I get the watertight/airtight ones from the container store. They are amazing and come in a variety of sizes.
I love these watertight boxes from The Container Store! They are great for my out of season clothing!

The Container Store is my home away from home! This is one store that my husband likes too. And now they are building another one near me!

Old 10-04-2016, 06:43 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,070,465 times
Ziploc makes air/water-sealed containers now if you don't have a Container Store near you. For most of my clothing, I use the heavy duty ones, like this however, I don't worry about bugs too much (more about mice/rats as I'm in a climate-controlled storage unit). Also, I've used a really big bin (100+ qt), put my clothes in plastic bags, sealed them up with tape, then put inside the bags the bin and the bin was outside on my deck. No bugs, no weird smells, no discoloring, it was fine. Pulled everything out almost 2 years later and besides some things being wrinkled, all my jackets and blankets were good to go (I think I washed the blankets just to they felt fresher to me).

Old 10-05-2016, 06:49 AM

219 posts, read 162,970 times
I usually switch them to shelves, dressers, or space bags depending on how much space I have at the time.

Old 10-06-2016, 11:41 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,711,196 times
I store my off season clothes in those large luggage that I only need when I travel for month long, which happens every 5 years. If I didn't have luggage I would use tubs.

Old 10-10-2016, 04:54 PM

584 posts, read 2,149,535 times
Yea I really don't want a lot or very large containers as I want to cut back on clothes, and if they are hidden away in tubs, I might forget what I have in there and buy more stuff. So this is just for rotation as the storage armoires don't have much room and I have no closets. Not much anyway and none in the bedroom, which I will never get a house without one again. I'm debating on clear or opaque colored.

Old 10-18-2016, 04:12 PM

13 posts, read 7,690 times
I use the big plastic boxes for my off-season clothes. Never had a problem, even with wool sweaters in them--they never get eaten. The further south you live, the more likely there will be a bug issue--it happens. I put cedar chips in with mine, and also whenever I get new shoes I save the little square packets of silica beads that absorb moisture, and I throw these in with anything that needs to stay super dry--clothes, shoes, blankets. I think you can buy those moisture absorbing silica bead packets in bulk, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty