Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 10:49 AM

18,439 posts, read 18,561,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
keep your lips and chin free of hair (there are some great facial hair-removing products out there)

don't dye your hair too dark, black and dark brunette are OUT!

don't wear too much heavy makeup
oh dear mine is dark brown.. hahaha but hopefully Im stuck with it a bit longer..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 12:52 PM

20,683 posts, read 19,810,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
keep your lips and chin free of hair (there are some great facial hair-removing products out there)

don't dye your hair too dark, black and dark brunette are OUT!

don't wear too much heavy makeup
where did you hear that? That's so wrong. We have never been so IN as of lately. The Kardashians were at least good for that trend!

Old 08-25-2016, 01:55 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,024,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
1. Don't dye your hair too dark. It looks fake and well, too dark.
Yes, an older person doesn't look quite right with jet black or blue black hair, even if they got away with it in their youth! And it's the same with using loads of really black eyeliner.

This will be one of my problems too, as I age (although my hair isn't jet black). I'm trying to go for 'natural black' shades or black with a red tone to it - you can get 'red black' shades too.

Old 08-25-2016, 02:08 PM

18,439 posts, read 18,561,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
Yes, an older person doesn't look quite right with jet black or blue black hair, even if they got away with it in their youth! And it's the same with using loads of really black eyeliner.

This will be one of my problems too, as I age (although my hair isn't jet black). I'm trying to go for 'natural black' shades or black with a red tone to it - you can get 'red black' shades too.
blue black hair is harsh and horrible , I had an aunt who was pure white in her early 60s but insisted on dyeing hers black.. it was horrible.. with her older lighter skin..

Old 08-25-2016, 02:15 PM

As well as using moisturiser in the day, I find that if I don't use night cream when I go to bed, I look a bit rougher in the mornings! I also use an eye cream, because some ordinary creams/moisturisers make my eyes a bit watery and puffy (not a good look!).

Keeping a small bottle of sun cream in your bag is also very useful - I do this during the Summer (although we don't have that many very sunny days in the UK!). It's actually a sun cream meant for children, but it's handy because of its small size and it has a high factor.

Old 08-25-2016, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
blue black hair is harsh and horrible , I had an aunt who was pure white in her early 60s but insisted on dyeing hers black.. it was horrible.. with her older lighter skin..
It is making me think of Mystic Meg, Dizzy!

Old 08-25-2016, 02:44 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,935,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
where did you hear that? That's so wrong. We have never been so IN as of lately. The Kardashians were at least good for that trend!
As we age, dark hair color usually looks wrong for us older folks. For one thing, it emphasizes that our hair is thinning. So often, I see older folks with a dark dye job and inch wide parts in their hair. This is so aging. I suspect that the poster meant that darker hair is "out" for older folks, not for people in general.

Another problem with dyeing hair dark is that our natural color fades with age. Makeup can make us look more rested, but it can't hide the fact that the hair color is at war with our natural coloring.

I know some people will not agree. But I am only reporting what my eyes tell me.

Of course, people are free to dye their hair until their final days, if that is what they want to do. But they won't look younger.

Old 08-25-2016, 02:47 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,935,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
As well as using moisturiser in the day, I find that if I don't use night cream when I go to bed, I look a bit rougher in the mornings! I also use an eye cream, because some ordinary creams/moisturisers make my eyes a bit watery and puffy (not a good look!).

Keeping a small bottle of sun cream in your bag is also very useful - I do this during the Summer (although we don't have that many very sunny days in the UK!). It's actually a sun cream meant for children, but it's handy because of its small size and it has a high factor.
Most good moisturizers and makeup have sunscreen as an ingredient. I like using a BB cream instead of makeup, with a good moisturizer. But as I have gotten ever older, I am noticing with horror the state of the skin on my arms. I've become more conscious of needing sunscreen there. Also, at my throat and behind my ears.

Cera Ve has good ingredients for aging skin. I always look better after using their night cream, and when I have gotten good rest.

Old 08-25-2016, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Most good moisturizers and makeup have sunscreen as an ingredient. I like using a BB cream instead of makeup, with a good moisturizer. But as I have gotten ever older, I am noticing with horror the state of the skin on my arms. I've become more conscious of needing sunscreen there. Also, at my throat and behind my ears.

Cera Ve has good ingredients for aging skin. I always look better after using their night cream, and when I have gotten good rest.
Yes, you're right - a lot of moisturisers and foundations have added SPF, which is good.

Old 08-25-2016, 04:06 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,862,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourown2feet View Post
For men and women: Exercise to keep muscles strong, and practice good balance and posture. This leads to a confident walk that is attractive and engenders respect.
This. Exercise is so important. I agree with everyone else. I have a tendency to get crabby, and it ruins entire outlook. A good attitude comes from within you. My third suggestion would be (for the ladies) a proper supportive bra. Unfortunately, the majority of us can't go without one, so we might as well wear one that does a good job
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty