Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2016, 09:23 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,506,112 times

Advertisements

Wear what you want. If others think it looks ridiculous, they may stare or make comments. If others think it looks great, they might stare or make comments. Life's to short to make choices that don't really matter by trying to figure out what others think about them. I do think it's important to think about your image for your work, if that applies, but what you wear in your "own time" should be totally your preference.

I'm a little over 40, and I wear my hair in low pigtails once in a while- usually just to work out. When I was in my early 20s, I was a huge fan of twin french braids (starting on the top of the head and going all the way down) and braiding my hair while in a pony tail. (pony, then braid) I feel like those aren't really want I want to wear in my current job because I don't think it gives me the aura of professionalism I want. But I still wear those styles on my own at home or going out for a run or something.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:58 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,879,210 times
I remember seeing someone with twin buns (very much like the Princess) in a grocery store. I might have said something snarky about it on social media In other words, not unless it's part of a costume.

Also, this man has long found pigtails unacceptable on anyone who is no longer a girl.

Old 08-30-2016, 01:14 AM

997 posts, read 936,910 times
I am a firm believer in doing what makes you happy. I didn't see the pictures because they were taken down but if you want to wear sparkly double buns and bows and whatever suits your fancy then wear them.

Some people might be judgmental or disdainful, but others might like it and you might bring a little smile to their face in a good way.

You can't please everybody so you might as well please yourself.

Old 08-30-2016, 02:06 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,123,046 times
Twin buns rock.

Old 08-30-2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronicka View Post
I am a firm believer in doing what makes you happy. I didn't see the pictures because they were taken down but if you want to wear sparkly double buns and bows and whatever suits your fancy then wear them.

Some people might be judgmental or disdainful, but others might like it and you might bring a little smile to their face in a good way.

You can't please everybody so you might as well please yourself.
You usually can avoid disdain from many people while being styled in a way that others like. There are at least dozens of feasible hair styles. There's no good reason for everyday adult use of pigtails and twin buns, in my opinion.

Old 08-30-2016, 05:28 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,366,498 times
OP: Yes, but rarely.

I could see an older woman with "pigtail" braids, if they were really long and went with a noticeable hippie style... Peruvian women rock that look, so yes, it can work.

Twin buns... yes, even into their 20s, 30s, 40s... I see this hairstyle going with an indie look, sort of boho, but yes. Doable if you have the personality for it.

Old 08-30-2016, 05:56 PM

Good point about Peruvian women and maybe some other Latin-American women. But on other types of women I can think of, I stand by the notion that pigtails look silly.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:06 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
I get that twin buns or braids might seem "childish" to some but really, people will always find something to criticize you for. Sure, you can reduce that as much as possible, but how much? How far are you willing to go to be absolutely blameless and white-bread? Wherever that line is, draw it and don't cross it, but right up TO it, go ahead and dance.

If two little buns are before that line, do 'em up and enjoy every minute of them.

Old 08-30-2016, 11:55 PM

To some? Between that and just flat unattractive, most people are not going to react well to pigtails or Princess Leia hair on an adult. (I did search for a survey and don't feel like making a poll here.) Also, in most office jobs, that would not be okay.

Like I said, there are many other hair styles. There are many options clothing, makeup, etc, too. Don't shoot yourself in the foot with twin buns or pigtails when there are many paths to tasteful non-conformity. And that's why they are so rarely worn by adults.

Old 08-31-2016, 12:53 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,684,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
To some? Between that and just flat unattractive, most people are not going to react well to pigtails or Princess Leia hair on an adult. (I did search for a survey and don't feel like making a poll here.) Also, in most office jobs, that would not be okay.

Like I said, there are many other hair styles. There are many options clothing, makeup, etc, too. Don't shoot yourself in the foot with twin buns or pigtails when there are many paths to tasteful non-conformity. And that's why they are so rarely worn by adults.
Im sorry but for one she didnt say to the office, people dont live in the office they do leave it, and i always thought that being a professional meant being professional, not treating others like how you did in high school. If she wants to wear pig tails or whatever else as long as she is getting the work done then who cares?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.