Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 08:20 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,426,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.A.Bachlow View Post
I use one and if you are not careful you can lop off an ear.
The van Gogh look is in this year. Very impressionable.

Last edited by Brucifer; 09-20-2016 at 08:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 09:35 AM

1,948 posts, read 6,462,935 times
Default bearded unshaven young guys with soft voices

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
That is true - every male I know under 40 has a beard including my two sons.
I noticed a lot of young men have the rough unshaven look these days, and I assume they must be more mature masculine or kind of a rough & tough type, then as soon as they speak they often sound soft spoken , they try too hard looking masculine.

Old 09-20-2016, 08:42 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
I have tried almost all of them but my Gilette FUSION is the best. The closest shave and longest lasting of any I have tried. It is also the easiest to keep clean.
I guess we agree on a variety of subjects. I buy them in bulk when on sale, or with a coupon, at CVS. They are pricey otherwise.

Old 09-20-2016, 09:56 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
My guess would be a stigma on using anything deemed "old"
I'm gonna go ahead and dispute that, based on the suspendered, bearded hipsters hanging out in The Art of Shaving.

Old 09-22-2016, 10:30 AM

1,478 posts, read 788,657 times
I have a puck of Mitchell's Woolfat Soap still unboxed. I don't have a shaving brush through to apply the shaving soap. Nor do I have a stand or the lathering bowls.

I don't have a safety razor although I have considered getting one. The problem is the learning curve plus the need for the non-rush factor when shaving with a safety razor. At least the safety razor is safer than the straight razor.

I don't like the double bladed, triple bladed and so on cartridge razors due to irritation, razor burn they can (and do) cause under my chin and on my neck. But they are convening for super fast shaving in a rush.

I use Fine brand aftershave, Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements aftershaves, and Ginger's Garden aftershaves. All three are top notch. I have only one of Fine's though (American Blend) and three of Phoenix (Al Fin; Beach; Speakeasy) and a bunch of Ginger's Garden from Suede to Tobacco Flower to Havan Cognac to a number of others. Right now I'm wearing the Flower Grenade (inspired by the female Flower Bomb perfume I think) by Ginger's Garden, which I pair with the famous Midnight in Paris cologne by Van Cleef.

Phoenix Artisan though, really blurs the line between cologne and aftershave, and has some impressive scents that have longevity.

My apartment bathroom, and tiny sink, really aren't conducive to setting up all the wet shaving tools needed for a good wet shaving experience. That's one issue I have and why I have not set up my soap puck etc. for now the cheap razors suffice. I might change my mind though (shrug).

Old 09-22-2016, 10:53 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
I tried for awhile but it was more work and took longer. It was probably me but time is money.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:19 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I tried for awhile but it was more work and took longer. It was probably me but time is money.

No, my experience is the same. I'm sure with a few months of practice I would get faster than I am currently, but still slower than using a cartridge razor.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:18 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
For years I absolutely hated shaving, it was just a chore. I had tried electric, then moved to the disposable cartridge type. About two years ago I discovered "wet shaving" with an old school safety razor, brush and foam. It totally turned me around on the opinion of shaving. It's now therapeutic.
I have three vintage Gillettes, two from the 40's and one from the late 20's. I rotate between them, and also have two custom brushes. I sample different types of shave pre oils and creams and after shaves. It is just great. I've never had a better shave and my skin looks so much better. I wish I had he guts and patience to learn how to use a straight razor, those provide an even better shave.

Old 09-26-2016, 05:00 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xandercrasher View Post
No way does a safety razor provide a smoother shave than, say, a Gilette Fusion. Not even your most high-quality Merkur will provide that.
I find that safety razor blades are sharper so you don't have to do as many passes. Of course the better you prep the pre-shave the better it will go.

Old 09-26-2016, 05:17 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
If you have a heavy beard, the old fashioned double edge using stainless steel blades is the only way to go.

When someone says they only have to shave every three days, or their disposable razors last for months, then we know they could probably do just as well with a rough wash cloth. If you have a heavy beard, the double is the only way to go, and the less apt to cut yourself.
oldtrader, THAT was awesome!

I know what you mean, I have 5 o'clock shadow by lunch time, which is why I rarely go completely clean shaven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty