Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 09:02 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,390,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
I love my boot cuts, and haven't noticed any strange looks. And I'm super sensitive to people looking at me oddly, lol.

I, also am older, OP, and have probably a similar shape to you (bigger behind in comparison to the rest). I do wear skinny jeans, under a tunic or longer cardigan or blazer. Sometimes with flats, sometimes with boots. Love wearing my cowboy boots over them.

Anyone don't like it.....the hell with 'em!!
Same. I'm pear shaped, and wear skinny jeans/so-called jeggings, but only with a long layer on top. And typically with boots.

I also wear boot cut and straight leg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 09:49 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,667,267 times
boot cut jeans are great for inverted triangle body types like myself. If youre a pear, not so much.

Old 09-30-2016, 10:33 PM

2,283 posts, read 1,425,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Just. Say. No.
I think people who wear mom jeans are on the cutting edge of fashion right now and I'm not joking. They're the next thing. The skinny can bugger off already.

Old 09-30-2016, 11:25 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,250,506 times
I'm 5'7" and I wear bootcut jeans almost every day. I like how they look and feel and don't care what others think. And I'm not paying much attention what jeans others are wearing, to be honest.

Old 10-01-2016, 01:26 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,326,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I'm 5'10" & I was thinking all skinny jeans were made for shorter women! I guess everybody has a hard time with them?

Skinny jeans NEVER reach my feet. Or even my ankles. They are not short enough for me to even resign myself to a "capri" look either.

They land somewhere inbetween & awkward looking. And they are SO tight around my thick thighs. My thighs are always thick, no matter how much weight I lose.

Once my legs started going numb when I was driving even though I had a gap at the waist!

I know beauty isn't always comfy but that was just ridiculous.

I notice the same thing. Are you buying long sizes? I notice that even when I buy long skinny jeans they really aren't long and if I'm lucky they touch my ankles. But they aren't going to be as long as regular jeans and for the most part they should taper at the ankle. They shouldn't go to your feet because they are fitted around the ankle---if they go to your feet where are they going? They can't fit around the shoe.

Anyway, I have to be careful with which ones I buy. I am thin and I always have a problem with waist/crotch sizes in pants---they are usually too big on me. My problem is my calves----they are disproportionately too big for my body. I have tried on pants that are too big on the waist yet the only reason I cannot get them on is because of the calves. Skinny pants should not make your legs go numb! I have a pair that does the same so I do not wear them if I am driving because they are tight on the calf. If they are too tight on the calf (especially ones like jeggings---ugh!) I know they are going to make my legs numb and they are a no-go. If the material doesn't have any stretch or softness to it, it's probably going to make your legs go numb too.

Old 10-01-2016, 06:34 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,522,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
I love to wear my boot cut jeans, I've tried skinny jeans and a) I'm too old for them and b) my ass is way too big so IMO they look stupid.

I do have straight jeans to wear with boots but they make my feet look huge when I wear them with flats.

I get strange looks when I'm out and about (Oxford Street in London was a hoot, I stood out like a sore thumb) and the lady I housekeep for seems to think skinnys are the way to go (shes a size 2 I'm a 12)

How many others are devoted to their boot cut jeans ?
I noticed in London that the skinny jean epidemic is in full swing there. I mean, honestly, people who SHOULD NOT BE WEARING SKINNY JEANS were wearing them with impunity! They may have been giving you strange looks, but believe me, they deserve some strange looks themselves.

Don't judge what you should be wearing based on Oxford Street in London. That would be my advice.

And yes, I like boot cut jeans with boots. I wear slim cut (not skinny) cropped jeans, ankle length, with flats.

Old 10-01-2016, 07:57 AM

15,205 posts, read 10,223,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I love boot cut jeans. I wear those or straight leg jeans. Then there's flared jeans, which are similar to boot cut.

Skinny jeans are unflattering to most women, IMO, and are uncomfortable. And my butt isn't even disproportionate to my body. When I tried on skinnies, I found I had to buy a size larger. They also would look better with long tops, which I don't like. I think it's more flattering to emphasize my hips, so I like tops to be shorter and snugger around the hip area. Wearing a long top looks boxy on me. Skinnies also look weird with athletic shoes, which is what I wear for running the roads.

Boot cuts ARE in style again, I thought. I wore straight leg for years, then started seeing the flared and boot cut everywhere, so I started wearing those. They are flattering. The wider legs at the bottom balance the wider hips that women have.

I used to watch a TV show called "What Not To Wear" and that was their mantra "boot cut jeans unless you're very slim". I learned a lot from that show even though I used to think I knew most of the fashion "rules". Like if what you're wearing on the bottom is slim, like a skinny jean or legging, then your top should have a little fullness and vice versa. Unfortunately it's hard to find boot cut jeans in a lot of stores right now unless you spend over $100 for them.

I'm a petite woman with some curves so I look best in boot cut jeans but I will occasionally wear a slim jean (not super skinny) with a tunic style top. It's all about balance.

Old 10-01-2016, 08:42 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,901,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I notice the same thing. Are you buying long sizes? I notice that even when I buy long skinny jeans they really aren't long and if I'm lucky they touch my ankles. But they aren't going to be as long as regular jeans and for the most part they should taper at the ankle. They shouldn't go to your feet because they are fitted around the ankle---if they go to your feet where are they going? They can't fit around the shoe.

Anyway, I have to be careful with which ones I buy. I am thin and I always have a problem with waist/crotch sizes in pants---they are usually too big on me. My problem is my calves----they are disproportionately too big for my body. I have tried on pants that are too big on the waist yet the only reason I cannot get them on is because of the calves. Skinny pants should not make your legs go numb! I have a pair that does the same so I do not wear them if I am driving because they are tight on the calf. If they are too tight on the calf (especially ones like jeggings---ugh!) I know they are going to make my legs numb and they are a no-go. If the material doesn't have any stretch or softness to it, it's probably going to make your legs go numb too.
Goodness gracious, how tall are you? I'm 5'2" and even when I buy petite jeans I often need to have my seamstress hem them for me. That's the problem with women's clothing; manufacturers assume that we're all built in Juniors, Misses, or Womens, when we are a huge variety of shapes and sizes: tall/short, big/small butts, big/small boobs, big/small waists, long/short waisted, hourglass, pear, apple shaped, etc. . Women come in a larger variety of sizes than men, I believe, because we have that estrogen and pregnancy factor going for us. I'm a short, extremely busty hourglass with a big behind, so I have to get regular petite jeans and get my seamstress to hem them. Forget boot cuts; those alterations cost me more than the jeans themselves.

Old 10-01-2016, 08:58 AM

777 posts, read 1,866,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeMargeSentMe View Post
I'm glad mom jeans are making a comeback.
Completely agree. I'm thick-ish through the middle and do not have a well-defined waist, meanwhile slim-hipped with thin legs. Mid/low-rise/modern fit just do not work for me. Now, lose the spandex and bring back durable, structured, 100% cotton jeans and I'll stock up.

Old 10-01-2016, 09:08 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,585,537 times
I don't wear skinny jeans and that's all I see in stores. So frustrating to shop!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty