Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 07:56 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,319,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
For me its stripes, my friends mother even commented about the number of tops I wear that are striped. As much as I try to move from that well beaten path I always seem to end up at Gap picking out yes you guessed it .... new season striped tops.
I do however still have closet clear outs ... all those non striped tops that I buy thinking I will give them a go, wear them once and then consign them to the back of the closet :\ hopeless !!
I feel your pain!

Somehow I fall into the same colors of clothing or the same style regularly.

I realized I needed to pay attention more when I noticed I had almost three of the same plain gray tops (gray=common theme in my life) and two or three of the same color green/dark blue stripe shirts (yep, you guessed it---from the Gap Outlet!) Funny thing is I have a sweater of the same colors too of that freaking green/blue striped pattern from Gap Outlet so I cannot escape it! Haha.

I also had a student once say to me, "Miss, why are you always wearing green sweaters?" Oops. I don't even love green so why do I have so many?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2016, 08:03 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,330,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Not me. All horizontal, all the time. Vertical stripes just look wrong to me.
Horizontal stripes better on slim, tall people, they are "fattening" and make the body look shorter.

Vertical stripes on heavier, short persons, make the body look taller and slimmer.

Old 10-03-2016, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rent.in.nyc View Post
Horizontal stripes better on slim, tall people, they are "fattening" and make the body look shorter.

Vertical stripes on heavier, short persons, make the body look taller and slimmer.
I never see anything in vertical stripes. Only certain suits or dress pants.

I'm tall and slim. No one has ever told me horizontal stripes make my body look shorter. Or fattened up.

Old 10-03-2016, 08:09 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,197,662 times
^^I'm 4'10 and have not found horizontal stripes to be "fattening" as long as I'm careful about lengths and silhouettes. The only tops that potentially make me look shorter or heavier are tunics or any sort of billowy tops.

Old 10-03-2016, 08:16 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,590,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
For me its stripes, my friends mother even commented about the number of tops I wear that are striped. As much as I try to move from that well beaten path I always seem to end up at Gap picking out yes you guessed it .... new season striped tops.
I do however still have closet clear outs ... all those non striped tops that I buy thinking I will give them a go, wear them once and then consign them to the back of the closet :\ hopeless !!
My sister and I tease our mom because she owns a couple dozen similar striped tops. (All horizontal stripes.)

Old 10-03-2016, 08:20 AM

Quote:
^^I'm 4'10 and have not found horizontal stripes to be "fattening" as long as I'm careful about lengths and silhouettes. The only tops that potentially make me look shorter or heavier are tunics or any sort of billowy tops.
I agree. I find lengths/silhouettes are more important.

My MIL thinks anyone with any weight on them should be wearing black and that it should be HUGE. That hides the fat in her mind. I think most people who say that have convinced themselves it's true.

So whenever my husband wears a shirt that's APPROPRIATELY sized she thinks it makes him look fatter than if he has on an XXXL black, baggy shirt. Before I cleaned him up a bit () he wore this ENORMOUS leather coat that made him look like a blimp---he finally bought a coat that fit him and I was like, "Whoa. You look so much smaller!"

Old 10-03-2016, 08:36 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,197,662 times
It's also about how the stripes are laid out on the shirt: if you shop carefully, certain brands (Gap, Polo) the stripes are sequenced so the darker stripe is right at the waistline, so it give the illusion of being narrower. Some thought went in to how to make those stripes flattering, versus just hacking fabrics off the bolt. My favorite is a hot pink and lime green rugby stripe; I love it because it actually looks like I have some curves.

Old 10-03-2016, 12:17 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,747,394 times
Quote:
I wear horizontal stripes and I am not tall and thin. They work fine. You just have to pay attention to stripe width and vertical distance. And where the stripes land. It is so funny because it seems I get the most compliments on my horizontal striped items from strangers.

Old 10-03-2016, 04:06 PM

15,199 posts, read 10,204,988 times
I stick to neutrals most of the time. Then I can add trendy accessories without having to buy a lot of new clothes every season.

Old 10-04-2016, 07:01 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,590,771 times
My best colors are all "autumn," so this time of year is great. Olive sweaters, layers of pretty brown, a scarf in orange and cranberry: all good. Spring and summer are my times for wardrobe crises, because women are traipsing around in pinks and yellows and flowery things, and all my browns and dark greens are out.

I bought a few tops last week, two in deep cranberry, one in dark teal, and a plaid flannel in rusty orange and green. I'm good for now but I know that, come April, I will lament having nothing to wear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty