Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2016, 07:25 AM

865 posts, read 1,489,885 times

Advertisements

I am confused with women's measurements and sizing.

Recently I lost weight, I am 133 lbs and 5'3'. I wear a size 2 or 4 typically in petites, and have been able to buy a couple pair of juniors pants in size 3 or 5. I figured it would help with buying clothes online if I took my measurements, but their seems to be a disconnect. My measurements are 34-31-36. I should be in a size "10" but am wearing pants that are anywhere from a 25-27. My shirt size is more straightforward - typically a XS or a S in petites. The 31 for my waist kinda makes me feel "fat" especially when you hear the typical measurements should be 36-24-36. I am physically fit and my BMI is around 24, with about 8-10 hours a week or cardio, daily weights, daily lunges, daily squats, and daily sit-ups so I am still not sure why the 31 waist, or even if it is a big deal and I am not figuring out how it translates? Losing 7 inches of my waist doesn't seem "doable"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2016, 08:07 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,360,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
I am confused with women's measurements and sizing.

Recently I lost weight, I am 133 lbs and 5'3'. I wear a size 2 or 4 typically in petites, and have been able to buy a couple pair of juniors pants in size 3 or 5. I figured it would help with buying clothes online if I took my measurements, but their seems to be a disconnect. My measurements are 34-31-36. I should be in a size "10" but am wearing pants that are anywhere from a 25-27. My shirt size is more straightforward - typically a XS or a S in petites. The 31 for my waist kinda makes me feel "fat" especially when you hear the typical measurements should be 36-24-36. I am physically fit and my BMI is around 24, with about 8-10 hours a week or cardio, daily weights, daily lunges, daily squats, and daily sit-ups so I am still not sure why the 31 waist, or even if it is a big deal and I am not figuring out how it translates? Losing 7 inches of my waist doesn't seem "doable"
You're measuring the smallest part of your waist, yes? And accurately?

36-24-36 is an hourglass---is that your figure?

Honestly, I would go by what you are typically wearing now and buy from a store with an easy return policy if you want to try buying something online. If you are fitting into most pants that are 2-4, I would not just start buying 10 because that's what measurements suggest. Sometimes from JC Penney, for example, I will buy two pairs of the same pants in two different sizes and just return the one that has a crappier fit.

BTW-My waist is 27" and I'm almost 5'10". My waist will literally never be smaller than that because of my height and build. That's me with a completely flat stomach.

Old 10-03-2016, 10:36 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,883,025 times
The smaller ladies' sizes are the worst for vanity sizing and variation between brands and even between garments from the same brand. You just have to try everything on to know if it will fit.

Old 10-03-2016, 12:51 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,508,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
The smaller ladies' sizes are the worst for vanity sizing and variation between brands and even between garments from the same brand. You just have to try everything on to know if it will fit.
This Right now, I can wear anything between a size 10 and 14; a few years ago I was wearing anything from a size 4 to a size 10. It totally depended on the brand as to how it was sized. Vanity sizing at its finest! If the online sites give sizes based on measurements, I'd go with that and make sure you can return/exchange as necessary. It sounds like you are fit and happy with how you look, so don't get stuck on sizes. Focus on what makes you look and feel your best.

Old 10-03-2016, 02:23 PM

865 posts, read 1,489,885 times
Thanks for all your advice - vanity sizing has become a problem, and I have even resorted to "taking chances" on various sizes since some sizes will be cheaper than others. Its a weird way to tackle the problem, but it confuses me more. For example, last week I ordered size 6 pants, and they fit a bit loose, but were $30 cheaper than the size 4s! So, wear baggier pants for $10, or "perfect" pants for $40...hmmm???

Anyway, it feels somewhat good that I am not the only one having problems with inconsistent sizes, and it isn't just me.

Old 10-03-2016, 05:01 PM

15,220 posts, read 10,322,026 times
I have tops that range from a medium to an extra large depending on the brand, where the garment was made and how expensive it is. The more expensive brands seem to do a lot of the vanity sizing. Also if you really want to get confused shop at Chico's. They have their own brand of sizing which can be a little confusing.

Old 10-04-2016, 01:01 PM

219 posts, read 163,069 times
All brands have their own sizing and can change drastically. Don't judge yourself based on a standard people have come up with. It's not realistic for most bodies depending on size, natural shape, etc. Also, if the pants are slightly baggy you could alter them to tighten them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty