Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 11:45 AM

52,194 posts, read 52,629,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
STEM? I've known quite a few people in STEM with visible tattoos. Most of them work in developing and programming and fit nicely in the modern nerd/geek culture. I also have friends in academia that have tattoos. If it's that much of an issue they can cover them. Simple as that. Older generations still insist on clinging to their antiquated ideas about jobless/directionless tattooed folk, because that was the prevailing attitude back in the day. Also factor in region when making such assumptions. Full sleeve in Utah? May have some resistance in the work force or other facets of life (socially considering it is a more conservative state). Full sleeve in So/Nor Cal or the PNW and other progressive areas. Hardly.
LOL, of course you're gonna say all of this, you've got 24 right? LOL, listen I personally don't care, I have no morality about it, I just find too many visible tats to be a bit distracting.

I've been in the engineering field for 24 plus years, most people don't have visible tats. Some here and there yeah sure, but you aren't seeing to many engineering managers sitting in meeting with other professions such as architects, project managers, engineers and others from various differing companies and you're not gonna see somebody with face tats and full sleeve tats. I know, because I've been in those meeting off and on for 24 years myself. Do those guys have tats, yeah, most likely, but I can't recall seeing much if any visible ink. The type of work I do we have to interact with lots of professionals from varying disciplines so it's not like I'm saying this stuff from just my POV and my company.

I get things change and that's just how it goes, I don't go around saying negative things about tats in my real life and I only talk about them when threads like this come up.

As they change I'll roll right along, I'm not a guy that fights change much, because screw it, you can't really control change, it's evident right in front of us.

Old 10-01-2016, 12:21 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,582,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
One day, the nursing homes will be filled with tatted up old ladies and Metallica will be on the overhead.

I don't like tats. Especially on women, but I do like it when people get neck or facial tattoos. Easier to identify them in the lineup.
They say that most criminals are not very smart. They prove it when they get tattoos, which provide a great way to identify them and bring them to justice.

Old 10-01-2016, 12:34 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,582,785 times
Quote:
It's tattoo.

Why of course. I have 24 and plans for several more. My custom work, especially my large pieces, have significant meaning and symbolism.

The majority of men I dated before meeting my now-husband didn't have tattoos, or had only a few. Even my first husband, an AD Marine for 12 years, didn't get his first tattoo until after he got out. My husband doesn't have any and has no plans for any.

He doesn't mind coming up with designs for me.
I have been loaned the use of my body for the duration. I consider it my obligation to take the best care of it and develop it to the fullest. That does not include defacing it with graffiti. When I see someone with a tattoo, I think that they must really feel inadequate, without adorning themselves in that way.

The question is, how many carriers of tattoos, ten years after getting them, if given the chance of completely eliminating them, at no cost to themselves, would choose to keep them?

Old 10-01-2016, 03:03 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,365,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
I have been loaned the use of my body for the duration. I consider it my obligation to take the best care of it and develop it to the fullest. That does not include defacing it with graffiti. When I see someone with a tattoo, I think that they must really feel inadequate, without adorning themselves in that way.

The question is, how many carriers of tattoos, ten years after getting them, if given the chance of completely eliminating them, at no cost to themselves, would choose to keep them?
I don't know? I don't really concern myself with what other people do with their body. I can say I have no plans to remove my tattoos, even the ones that aren't my favorite. *shrug*

You're projecting how you feel about body modification onto others. I can assure you I don't have feelings of inadequacy regarding my choice to adorn my body with tattoos. The thought has never entered my mind. I didn't feel inadequate without them, either. Just like I feel perfectly fine without makeup, and look fine without it, just as I do with it.

Old 10-01-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
LOL, of course you're gonna say all of this, you've got 24 right? LOL, listen I personally don't care, I have no morality about it, I just find too many visible tats to be a bit distracting.

I've been in the engineering field for 24 plus years, most people don't have visible tats. Some here and there yeah sure, but you aren't seeing to many engineering managers sitting in meeting with other professions such as architects, project managers, engineers and others from various differing companies and you're not gonna see somebody with face tats and full sleeve tats. I know, because I've been in those meeting off and on for 24 years myself. Do those guys have tats, yeah, most likely, but I can't recall seeing much if any visible ink. The type of work I do we have to interact with lots of professionals from varying disciplines so it's not like I'm saying this stuff from just my POV and my company.

I get things change and that's just how it goes, I don't go around saying negative things about tats in my real life and I only talk about them when threads like this come up.

As they change I'll roll right along, I'm not a guy that fights change much, because screw it, you can't really control change, it's evident right in front of us.

My having them has nothing to do with the generalizations others make about folks who have tattoos. Sure, your sample size demonstrates folks you've worked with or alongside do not sport visible tattoos, or perhaps, do not show them. And I'm not referring to visible tattoos specifically. I'm referring to tattoos in general. There are plenty of people with a moderate amount of work that work in white collar fields. Their tattoos are just strategically placed. Why do folks always reference extremes like face tattoos? Lol I personally know one person, a tattoo artist, with a face tattoo. I have some friends with discreet tattoos behind the ears or neck (I have a small rose at the base of my neck). The majority of moderately tattooed folks in my social circle can cover their pieces just fine. It's really not that hard.

Old 10-01-2016, 03:13 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,323,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Solano View Post
Hi!
Recently I thought about a phenomenon of social culture. Increasingly, I
see girls with tatooes. Even teenagers 15-17 y. o.

Maybe I'm conservative, but I think that, historically, tattoos on the body were
the natives of the Pacific Islands and Africa. Then they came in Europe
and use by sailors, criminals and prostitutes. They were set makes it for
a crime as a sign that person has broken the law.

I don't understand why modern people mutilate his body, especially women.
You can tell that there is a "blue disease" - tattoo addiction.
But then, why it's not classified as a mental disorder?
What you think?
Mod cut: copyright violation. Link to content needed
Why do women wear make-up or paint their nails?

Old 10-01-2016, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Why do women wear make-up or paint their nails?
Or color their hair, or get cosmetic surgery. Because they feel inadequate/insecure and want to be "cool." Duh.

Old 10-01-2016, 03:17 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,323,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post

I have one that I hate, and I could afford to remove it with no problem, but I won't remove it.

I hate the tattoo, but I love the memory of who I was. The tattoo is sincerely horrible, but it reminds me of a time when I was carefree, senseless, in love with life, and willing to take risks. I'm old, boring, and conservative now.... but the tattoo still brings a smile to my face because it's a reminder of where I came from, and that there is a side to me that is capable of being that type of awesome person that cares so little about society and norms, that she would get a ridiculous tattoo. I love that part of myself, and while she's almost buried in the clutter of adulthood, the tattoo helps resurrect her a bit from time to time.

The tattoo is one of the things about my life that I'm actually most proud of doing, even though it aesthetically hideous!

Old 10-01-2016, 03:37 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Whatever happened to the "no tattoo threads" rule?

Old 10-01-2016, 03:37 PM

52,194 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
My having them has nothing to do with the generalizations others make about folks who have tattoos. Sure, your sample size demonstrates folks you've worked with or alongside do not sport visible tattoos, or perhaps, do not show them. And I'm not referring to visible tattoos specifically. I'm referring to tattoos in general. There are plenty of people with a moderate amount of work that work in white collar fields. Their tattoos are just strategically placed. Why do folks always reference extremes like face tattoos? Lol I personally know one person, a tattoo artist, with a face tattoo. I have some friends with discreet tattoos behind the ears or neck (I have a small rose at the base of my neck). The majority of moderately tattooed folks in my social circle can cover their pieces just fine. It's really not that hard.

Well I mentioned sleeves too not just face tats. Again, I think that there's still a conservative bent in the business world, that's all I was saying, I wasn't making character judgements about people who have work done. It's just not for me, others in this thread are making vast assumptions about people who have tats, I haven't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty