U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 09:54 AM

8,321 posts, read 13,706,707 times

Advertisements

My husband was talking about how much makeup I have - and that it's mainly eye makeup. I have well over 200 colors of eyeshadow/dust, 100 or so pencils, around 50 eye liner liquids, 20 mascaras.. along with other eye makeup accessories.

He's been trying to get me to rid myself of a lot of these - I refuse! He just doesn't understand that makeup is a daily art. Sometimes, you just have to put on neon pink and green eyeshadow ((half/half for vivid effect because they are clashing colors)) and go with it!

I also make the claim that different brands are better for certain things. On a dry day, I don't want to waste my water-proof makeup.. while on humid days, I don't want to end up with messy makeup. And above all, I have told him that my Kryolan makeup is for super-special occassions ONLY.

How much eye makeup do you have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 10:24 AM

35,885 posts, read 68,237,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
My husband was talking about how much makeup I have - and that it's mainly eye makeup. I have well over 200 colors of eyeshadow/dust, 100 or so pencils, around 50 eye liner liquids, 20 mascaras.. along with other eye makeup accessories.

He's been trying to get me to rid myself of a lot of these - I refuse! He just doesn't understand that makeup is a daily art. Sometimes, you just have to put on neon pink and green eyeshadow ((half/half for vivid effect because they are clashing colors)) and go with it!

I also make the claim that different brands are better for certain things. On a dry day, I don't want to waste my water-proof makeup.. while on humid days, I don't want to end up with messy makeup. And above all, I have told him that my Kryolan makeup is for super-special occassions ONLY.

I love to get new shades of eyeshadow, but also have favorites I return to (in varying shades - as they all change each season/year). However, I throw out stuff regularly as bacteria gets in make up so I don't want to get an eye infection. Powders are less susceptible to this, but I also add water to a lot of my eyeshadows, so . . . bacteria can breed in anything that gets moist.

Same for lipsticks, whether you use a brush or apply a tube directly.

Also, I don't like wasting time going thru/ a gazillion eye shadow palettes, so I tend to pare down to several groups of things and toss stuff once a year.

Last edited by brokensky; 02-25-2008 at 10:24 AM.. Reason: misspell

Old 02-25-2008, 10:42 AM

5,133 posts, read 10,386,942 times
Not much eye make up here. Got 3 eyeliner pencils (one gray, black and brown) , one mascara and that's it!

Old 02-25-2008, 11:47 AM

11,436 posts, read 18,022,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post

WOW! That is a LOT of make-up! I say keep it all if it makes you happy though.

I have probably 6-7 lip-sticks, a couple of blushers, and 6-7 eyeshadows. I mostly just wear lipstick and blush.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:31 PM

5,224 posts, read 13,731,632 times
Really, there are probably on a few of those many shades you have that really suit your skin tone! And if they're over a year old, they do go bad, you know!

Old 02-25-2008, 05:11 PM

3,107 posts, read 8,317,122 times
I have 3 pans of eyeshadows (I think they hold 8 each) - I was obsessed - what can I say? One pan is "spring/summer", 2nd pan is "fall/winter" and the other is well, "other".

I only have 1 eyeliner - a dark brown.

I finally weeded out my lipsticks in November so I'm down to 6 shades, I think. Have 3 blushers, a powder foundation & coverstick and that's about it!

I don't think I've worn "full makeup" in at least 8 mos.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:32 PM

12,172 posts, read 15,723,944 times
I try to keep it simple. In you husbands defense, you shouldn't keep make up for more than 1 year. I think some might even say six months.

Last edited by ElizaTeal; 02-25-2008 at 06:44 PM..

Old 02-25-2008, 07:06 PM

18,434 posts, read 30,092,579 times
For me? None

Old 02-25-2008, 08:12 PM

306 posts, read 1,497,356 times
Mascara goes bad after 3 months. I'd pitch all but your favorite two or three, and replace frequently. Also, don't forget to clean your brushes monthly.

As far as colors go, I used to have a ton of colors, but as I've gotten older I've found I like using the make-up to accentuate my eyes, not make a statement. But that's just me. So I have 4 singles and 2 quad shadows...most are shades of browns/golds with some purples and pinks. I do a lot of blending for different hues of the color--I think it's fun.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:21 PM

524 posts, read 2,428,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
I try to keep it simple. In you husbands defense, you shouldn't keep make up for more than 1 year. I think some might even say six months.
I know mascara goes bad pretty fast, but why get rid of say eye shadows after a year? How could they possibly go bad? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty