Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 07:36 PM

24,114 posts, read 32,468,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
I'm absolutely dressing up. The holidays only come around once a year. I like to make them as special and memorable as possible. It's fun to get all dressed up.

The dressing up is for Christmas and New Year's Eve formal parties. For those, I do the whole nine yards: sparkling dresses, jewelry, very nice heels, evening bags, hair & nails done.

I don't get dressed up for Thanksgiving. That one has more of an "at-home and comfortable" kind of vibe. My outfits for Thanksgiving tend to be nice sweaters, slacks, and ankle boots.
This is how I feel! The holidays are only here once a year! May as well enjoy my self! I like to wear dresses and seasonal colors - being festive is fun!

I often treat myself to facials, make up applications, a new pair of high heels or earrings. Sometimes I have my hair done in an elegant up-swept style.

Thanksgiving is a more laid back, cozy, sit by the fireplace and play board games-after-you-stuff-yourself-kind of holiday.

Like Sage, I generally opt for nice sweaters, slacks, or a plaid skirt. Depending on my mood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2016, 05:17 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
I had my holiday party last night and I got 90% dolled up. I wore some oxfords because I had a concert after and it was standing floor area. When I left home I realized I didn't love my shoe choice, but it was supposed to rain as well and other shoes hadn't been waterproofed. Oh well, next time I wear the dress I'll wear other shoes.

Anyway, I wore the aforementioned sparkly dress. I got the sleeves altered. It possibly could use more tweaks, but since the fabric has no stretch, slimming the hips might not work well.

I did a smoky-ish eye. I used 2 different metallic dark purple eye shadows and a thick kohl black eye liner. The deep purples work really well with my skin tone and aren't as harsh as a dark grey or other cool toned dark shadow. And I did a dark pink lipstick. The rest of my face was super subtle with natural blush and foundation to even things out. Happily my skin is looking pretty good these days so I mostly used highlighter and not much foundation.

I wore some simple jewelry - an Art Deco inspired pendant and a mixed material pair of drop earrings.

The eye shadow was a hit!

Anyone else have a holiday party yet?

Old 12-10-2016, 06:10 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,646,355 times
I don't go to any parties, I am not particulary Christmassy I guess.

Husband and I do have a nice concert on the 29th of December, so I plan to dress up a bit. Lace skirt, heels, black turtleneck, etc.

Old 12-13-2016, 06:55 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
At Christmas parties I usually wear either a red IZOD fleece or a red button down long sleeve shirt. And this is coming from a guy who mostly wears pink IZOD clothing.

Do you work for IZOD? Own part of the company? It seems you drop their name in every post about fashion; rather than just say you are wearing a polo shirt you always say IZOD. What's that about?

Old 12-13-2016, 07:56 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,336,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Do you work for IZOD? Own part of the company? It seems you drop their name in every post about fashion; rather than just say you are wearing a polo shirt you always say IZOD. What's that about?
I just feel like they are the best balance between quality and price, and they also seem to provide the best fit on me, since some brands seem to undersize their clothing. I am not a rich snob who buys only high end designer brands, but at the same time I prefer not to buy clothing from stores such as Walmart or Target except for basic needs such as T-shirts, socks, and underwear. Not all my polo shirts are IZOD; I have a few Nautica, Chaps, Arrow, and U.S. Polo Assn as well, plus one Tommy Hilfiger.

As for the company, IZOD is owned by PVH, who also owns Calvin Klein, Tommy Hilfiger, Van Heusen, Arrow, Warner's, Olga, and the North American rights to the Speedo brand. Even the sizing among the PVH brands are not all the same, since I have just found out that Calvin Klein does run smaller than IZOD.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:19 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
I really fancy it up. I wear jeans and my Star Wars themed Christmas sweater that I bought on Amazon.

Old 12-15-2016, 06:03 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I just feel like they are the best balance between quality and price, and they also seem to provide the best fit on me, since some brands seem to undersize their clothing. I am not a rich snob who buys only high end designer brands, but at the same time I prefer not to buy clothing from stores such as Walmart or Target except for basic needs such as T-shirts, socks, and underwear. Not all my polo shirts are IZOD; I have a few Nautica, Chaps, Arrow, and U.S. Polo Assn as well, plus one Tommy Hilfiger.

As for the company, IZOD is owned by PVH, who also owns Calvin Klein, Tommy Hilfiger, Van Heusen, Arrow, Warner's, Olga, and the North American rights to the Speedo brand. Even the sizing among the PVH brands are not all the same, since I have just found out that Calvin Klein does run smaller than IZOD.
Okay - thanks for satisfying my curiosity. I hope you realize I wasn't trying to diss you in any way; I was just curious. :-)

Old 12-15-2016, 08:47 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,336,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Okay - thanks for satisfying my curiosity. I hope you realize I wasn't trying to diss you in any way; I was just curious. :-)
In general, regardless of brand, I have always tried to wear red clothing on Christmas as well as at Christmas parties. For Valentine's Day and Easter I usually try to wear pink. However, I haven't worn a lot of green for St. Patrick's Day since I don't have a lot of green clothing, however, next year I might wear my Absinthe Green IZOD Advantage Polo.

Old 12-15-2016, 04:15 PM

88,570 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Ha, funny to find this thread.

I retired from my old, public-sector job this past year and took a job with an engineering firm owned by a Hasidic Jew. The holiday party is Monday. While we goyim employees aren't required to adhere to their dress code (Orthodox women must wear skirts well below the knee, elbows are covered, tops cover up to the neckline, thick stockings or tights, closed shoes, and married women wear sheitels (wigs) when out in public), we are expected to dress respectfully. I just ordered and received a nice, dark green sweater dress with long sleeves that I think will be appropriate with black tights and flat dress shoes (I am very tall and don't wear heels). I will dress it up with some nice earrings and a necklace.

The bigger issue for me is that the party is dinner at a kosher steakhouse, and I don't eat meat. Because they cannot mix milk and meat, there will be no cheese or anything dairy served at that restaurant, so it sounds as if dinner will be salad and bread and I hope they have some potatoes.

However...from what I understand, we will all receive bonuses at the part, something I have never experienced since I worked in the public sector all my life. I'm interested to see what that is like, exactly.

Old 12-15-2016, 05:34 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Ha, funny to find this thread.

I retired from my old, public-sector job this past year and took a job with an engineering firm owned by a Hasidic Jew. The holiday party is Monday. While we goyim employees aren't required to adhere to their dress code (Orthodox women must wear skirts well below the knee, elbows are covered, tops cover up to the neckline, thick stockings or tights, closed shoes, and married women wear sheitels (wigs) when out in public), we are expected to dress respectfully. I just ordered and received a nice, dark green sweater dress with long sleeves that I think will be appropriate with black tights and flat dress shoes (I am very tall and don't wear heels). I will dress it up with some nice earrings and a necklace.

The bigger issue for me is that the party is dinner at a kosher steakhouse, and I don't eat meat. Because they cannot mix milk and meat, there will be no cheese or anything dairy served at that restaurant, so it sounds as if dinner will be salad and bread and I hope they have some potatoes.

However...from what I understand, we will all receive bonuses at the part, something I have never experienced since I worked in the public sector all my life. I'm interested to see what that is like, exactly.
Oh yikes! steakhouses are so bad at vegetarian. Maybe they'll have some beans? Roasted potatoes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty