Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 08:40 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,975,530 times

Advertisements

I am not quite sure what your real intent was, OP, but I had never even heard of Vineyard Vines and you got me to go look to see what all the fuss was about. Perhaps this was a subtle way to boost the brand?

Somehow I was expecting something really loud and garish (not my taste) but instead I found clothes that seem more timeless than anything for the most part. I was happy to see that - overpriced of course, but, simple and classy clothes. But, then again, I am in my 60s now and I don't care about 'fads'. I got rid of my bellbottom pants years ago. Nice to see they don't appear to be back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2016, 08:54 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
It isn't quite a fad here. We have a store in a posh shopping place. Never been. Honestly I hadn't even heard of it till they presented at a tech conference I go to annually.

The Bay Area isn't particularly preppy. I am, maybe I should look for an outlet.

Are the clothes well made?

Old 11-11-2016, 08:56 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
I swear in an especially preppy period in the 90s I got an old navy polo with a whale. Maybe they were inspired by that?

Old 11-11-2016, 09:12 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
It isn't quite a fad here. We have a store in a posh shopping place. Never been. Honestly I hadn't even heard of it till they presented at a tech conference I go to annually.

The Bay Area isn't particularly preppy. I am, maybe I should look for an outlet.

Are the clothes well made?
Yes. Well made, and what you might look for are their sales. A few years ago around here, they had a sale in an old vacant building. I went out of curiousity and bought a few belts and a couple of shirts for resale on ebay. They sold great but I'm not going to bother again--it would be worth the trouble if you wanted them for yourself.

Nice fabric, nice clean styling, no threads hanging off like cheap brands, and their little embroidered whale logo is cute. Sort of akin to the RL polo pony logo. On Martha's Vineyard several years ago I went into their store and it was really nice. I can't afford the brand and, as a woman, the only thing I covet are their tote bags. I think this brand, like Ralph Lauren, is durable and made to last. Maybe they're the RL of the younger set?

Re: pink shorts. Could be Nantucket Reds? I haven't looked at the VV website lately but there's something called Nantucket Reds and they are a canvas pant or shorts that supposedly started out red but were dragging behind a boat in salt water until they were perfectly faded. The original is made by Murray's Toggery Shop on Martha's Vinyard but there are copies. J. Crew makes a good one, so does Ralph Lauren.

Nantucket Reds are a throwback to old time fisherman who wore the sturdy canvas pants. They exist in the maritime provinces of Canada by a different name. They are really nice when made by one of the good brand names. There are cheap imitations that just look wrong and the fabric isn't good. My dh has some (on our budget, he had to find them in a thrift store, lol) but he wears them to play golf and the other men want some. They give off the golfing, yachting vibe around here. So those may be the pink shorts and pants.

Old 11-11-2016, 09:26 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Just for fun, here's the Vineyard Vines whale logo

and here's a pair of genuine Nantucket Reds shorts from Murray's Toggery on Martha's Vineyard. VV does make pink pants but they do not make the cotton canvas Nantucket Reds. I think J. Crew and Ralph Lauren do.

(sorry they came out so huge)

Old 11-11-2016, 11:43 AM

6 posts, read 11,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
This.

I wouldn't associate VV with conservative views. Everyone I know personally who wears it, and the general demographic of MV skews towards affluent liberal leaning types. I lean conservative, vacation on MV, and wouldn't be caught wearing VV.

Most people who wear Vineyard Vines are wealthy, regardless of political backgrounds. The left-right thing has more to do with geography, where people come from. If you are a wealthy Southern dude, you are going to wear VV and chances are that you hold conservative values. If you are coming from the Northeast and wealthy, you also wear VV but probably hold socially liberal values.

Old 11-11-2016, 11:51 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,034,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant2013 View Post
Most people who wear Vineyard Vines are wealthy, regardless of political backgrounds. The left-right thing has more to do with geography, where people come from. If you are a wealthy Southern dude, you are going to wear VV and chances are that you hold conservative values. If you are coming from the Northeast and wealthy, you also wear VV but probably hold socially liberal values.
I am poor and my teenager likes to wear VV.

Old 11-11-2016, 02:27 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I am poor and my teenager likes to wear VV.
and/because

Old 11-11-2016, 02:43 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
A trend? No, I bought one of their belts in Charleston, SC around 2000, wore it for 8 years, and gave it to a friends daughter who wore it all through college, and still wears it today.

It is VERY popular in Palm Beach. I see it everywhere every time I go to Palm Beach or Delray.

I think you are just tired of it.

It kind of reminds me of early LL Bean, J Crew, or Lands End when they used to be really cool. Well, LL Bean still is.

Old 11-11-2016, 02:45 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,151,341 times
My wife recommended VV to me once. I balked because I didn't like the logo but eventually purchased a pink oxford after forgetting that she recommended it. It's ok but I wouldn't base my whole wardrobe on the brand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty