Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 10:55 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,736,145 times

Advertisements

So I am starting to realize some of my favorite clothing have animal prints. And I don't know about you, this is hard to reconcile as I have grown up hearing tha animal print is tacky. Think Peggy Bundy.

It all started a few years ago. I saw a pair of peep toe kitten heels by Cole Haan in a beige Python leather for cheap at Nordstrom rack. I got them because they were Cole Haan. The heel was my fave kind. And I wanted light colored summer shoes. I wore them for dressy ocassions. Now I they are hiding in my closet because I haven't had the right ocassion to wear them.

Then I got a snake print dress. In turquoise. If you don't look closely it just looks abstract. My sister copied me and got it in bright pink. It was a hit every time I wore it.

Then came the leopard shoes. I even managed to wear these with patterns.

Next I got a greyscale leopard short sleeved t-shirt dress. I wear it all the time. I love black and white prints. It works for work and a casual Saturday. Then I got a black and white Python work dress. And this fall I got another greyscale leopard t-shirt dress that is long sleeved and darker in tone. It is also in the regular rotation.

And a few weeks ago I splurged on a pair of booties/oxfords (they are somewhere between) that are 2/3 black with a block of black/cream snake print. I couldn't resist because they looked so cool. They make me want to wear solid colors. I've worn them with leggings and a solid top. And this week I did pair them with jeans and a cream shirt with a black pattern. . Still thinking of other outfits.

Are you an animal print fan? How do you wear your animals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2016, 05:29 AM

19,963 posts, read 30,048,697 times
I have elephant underwear if that counts

Old 11-12-2016, 06:33 AM

15,199 posts, read 10,197,465 times
I have two different tops with animal prints. They both have a lot of black in them so I usually wear them with a pair of black leggings and a thick black belt. In the summer a ballet flat and in the winter (or as much winter as we get here in Florida) a bootie.

Old 11-12-2016, 07:16 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,731,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
How do you wear your animals?
I usually wear my cats when they curl up on my lap.

Otherwise, I have a pair of footed tiger pajamas, complete with mittens, a hood, and a tail. In the winter, I will wear them from when I get home from work until bed time.

I also have a top that could be zebra stripes.

Old 11-12-2016, 08:35 AM

5,122 posts, read 4,454,668 times
I like some of them--the ones that are either more subdued, or are on a small proportion of the total outfit which makes it pop.

I have three leopard print items. One is a silk blouse that I wear with solid bottoms like black, red, blue, beige, etc. It goes really nicely with most solid colors. The second is a pair of ballet flats. I wear them with everything, from jeans and black leggings, to dressy slacks, to skirts. They're comfortable and make outfits look more interesting and attractive. The third one is a bra.

I have a high-neck wraparound blouse in a fine Dalmatian print that looks fantastic with a black suit. Although I've had this for 20 years it still looks great. The pattern is timeless.

Old 11-12-2016, 09:20 AM

2,622 posts, read 4,023,713 times
Well, I must've been "tacky" growing up, because I've liked animal prints since Junior High. (Mostly Leopard at the time.)

These days, I have more Python and Croc/Alligator prints: purses in various colours and four similarly patterned shoes. One of the purses is my everyday bag: I like to imagine myself as the Lady with the Alligator Purse. Only one purse is Tiger; another, Leopard trim.

I also have a Leopard print dress, and Python and Tiger print blouses. I hardly wear them as I rarely have an occasion to wear them. When I have the option, I find I'd rather wear "louder" accessories than clothes.

At night I have my leopard throws to keep me warm.

I have one faux fur/suede coat for special occasions.

Old 11-12-2016, 10:00 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,736,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
Well, I must've been "tacky" growing up, because I've liked animal prints since Junior High. (Mostly Leopard at the time.)

These days, I have more Python and Croc/Alligator prints: purses in various colours and four similarly patterned shoes. One of the purses is my everyday bag: I like to imagine myself as the Lady with the Alligator Purse. Only one purse is Tiger; another, Leopard trim.

I also have a Leopard print dress, and Python and Tiger print blouses. I hardly wear them as I rarely have an occasion to wear them. When I have the option, I find I'd rather wear "louder" accessories than clothes.

At night I have my leopard throws to keep me warm.

I have one faux fur/suede coat for special occasions.
I love it, lady with the alligator purse! I haven't been able to make a croc or python or alligator bad work.

They feel a bit too formal for my lifestyle. I have tried. And end up returning the bag. These bags are always structured and quite polished. And are hard for me to pair with a more casual outfit. So I sticker with structured bags in softer leather.

I recently got a mixed leather bag with accents of python, suede and a smooth leather in the same colors. It feels a bit dressy for me, but great for the season. I have used it a couple of times but I'll bust it out more soon. Planning to use it for holiday parties. . And winter weekends once I have retired the summer colors.

I tend to go for quiet but interesting accessories and wear bright colors and patterns.

Old 11-12-2016, 10:03 AM

30,585 posts, read 24,977,965 times
I am not fond of most animal prints, but I say, if you love them, wear them unapologetically. This is your life and your choice. You get to figure out your style, so go for what you like.

Old 11-12-2016, 10:52 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,958,729 times
I have a t-shirt with a big picture of a Siberian (dog) on it, grinning at the world. I didn't buy it and I don't wear it except around the house. My Siberian thinks it is his brother though and nuzzles up to it (and me) once in a while.

I have a few coats that still have real fur trim on them - forgive me, I am old (much older than Peg Bundy).

I don't hate 'animal prints' but I have just never seen any that would suit me. And the shoes I wear are very practical - not the kind that come in flamboyant designs. I no longer own any high heeled shoes, and I never go anywhere any more that would 'require' me to wear them.

Old 11-12-2016, 10:54 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,023,423 times
Python is a leather like alligator or crocodile not a print. It is usually a very expensive leather.

Not all animal prints are tacky, Jersey Shore-ish.

Velvets like Scalamandre's Le Tigre are classics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty