Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 09:40 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,008,593 times

Advertisements

This sounds like a fun DIY project, but definitely not one for mom's sewing machine.

Due to the nature of the fur, the fox will probably be easier to hand stitch without it looking like it was done at home. I'd start with that one and see how you do.

I'd also do a Google search on this, in terms of finding technique and what tools you need. I just did a search for "DIY fur coat hem" and came up with a bunch of results.

Good luck, and I want to see pictures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 09:45 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,822 times
Looking at the big picture... I got 2 coats. I got them at less then 90% of relate and I got room for error at the coat in really long and I want it shorter. I think I am likely going to try and do it myself. It might be worth the learning experience. It is linned. To the tips about lining, using a razor/switch blade and cutting on the skin side make loads on sense. I really love repurpsing things to making them custom. It is similar to refinshing vintage furniture ...often cost way too much to get it done professionally so doing it yourself with a little guidence from the internest usually does the trick. If I am going to pay more then $100 to get is adjusted it wont be worth it to me. I am still going to check out the cost of professional alterations by a fur expert... but minor alterations cost a lot so I am feeling a fur it going to get pricy.

Old 11-28-2016, 09:54 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,008,593 times
You might also want to check out your local dry cleaners that do alterations. I'd guess that if you did the prep work and cutting, that you could bring the coat in to them to do the final stitching on the hem. Your fingers will definitely be thankful if you can get it done that way.

Old 11-28-2016, 10:39 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,524,829 times
First, congrats on the bargain. You do realize any serious value in that fur photographed is in the length, correct?

I'd take it to a furrier & see about a trade for something you'd wear. That way you will find out it's true value & what alterations or other options you have. If in excellent condition & you do decide to go with altering it, the furrier shop may do the work for the scrap (or a small fee & scrap).

Keep in mind that often furs that have not been properly stored under specific climate controlled conditions are not particularly valuable--- mostly due to the skin at the base being overly dried out & the fur itself looking dull. If it is a valuable piece, I would have an expert do the altering.

Old 11-28-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
First, congrats on the bargain. You do realize any serious value in that fur photographed is in the length, correct?

I'd take it to a furrier & see about a trade for something you'd wear. That way you will find out it's true value & what alterations or other options you have. If in excellent condition & you do decide to go with altering it, the furrier shop may do the work for the scrap (or a small fee & scrap).

Keep in mind that often furs that have not been properly stored under specific climate controlled conditions are not particularly valuable--- mostly due to the skin at the base being overly dried out & the fur itself looking dull. If it is a valuable piece, I would have an expert do the altering.
I really treat my stuff rough. So considering the cost of the jackets I am not really expecting top of the line (and after I use it a few times ... the value is going to crumble). I doubt the furs were or will be ( in my hands) really well maintained. For price I paid I have nothing to complain about. The resale value of most fashion items/ even high end in my city is very little. People are giving away higher end fashion items ... so I would not expect to try and resale the furs. For me this is more about a fun item to wear. Something a bit different. There was this really cool show in Toronto called Diva on a Dime where they would pick a run way look and teach the person how to recreate the look on very little. It was a really fun show that featured lots of store in my city. After spending some time going to thirft/ 2nd hand stores in my city I got to say that when I am looking for something fun and interesting I by pass the mall now all together.

Is it absoltely like treasure hunting.

My best finds to date ...

- Full lenght red leather trench coat. I took it to London, England and totally destoryed it because of the rain (but we had a good time together while it lasted).

- My Fox and Mink fur coats

- Andy Wharhol Clutch

- My coach bag ( that retails around $600 plus) ... that I got with the tags still on it!

- This really cool grew leather back pack with dias de los muretos skulls on it. Brand new with the tags on it and from some high end tready Asian Brand ( the orignal price tage on it was around $390.

I have got some serious cool stuff for next to nothing.

The mall is good for day to day staples... but when you want a statment piece of accessory thrift store/2nd hand store is a go to place especially if you want a great deal.

Old 11-28-2016, 01:20 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
https://thesewingdivas.wordpress.com...wing-with-fur/

I found this for you. In this case what you don't know, which is everything, can mess this project up. Honestly, I'd save up for a pro restyle. A mink is a fine fur that deserves good workmanship.

Old 11-28-2016, 03:13 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,310,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Unless you are an extremely competent seamstress with the proper sewing machine for the fur, it would be a mistake to try this yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I was going to try and hand stich the bottom. I figure unless I am upside down no one will see the details ! My mom had a sewing machine .. But I have no idea how to use it and it probably buried in the basement in her house somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Do not attempt to do this yourself! Take it to a furrier. They'll do a fine job of it. They're experienced at working with fur. You aren't. Don't even think about it!

P.S. See if the furrier can make a matching hat out of the material left after the coat is shortened.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I concur: take it to a professional. You can always get an estimate or 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
..... I have about at least 5 days until I would even have time to mess with the jacket. Still on the fence. Re the hat ...oh my god know lol. I would feel like I was wearing a costume lol. The fur coat is already over the top... I have really long curly hair I got enough on top as it is. I am likely going to make a scarf or shawl. I will have a lot of fur left over. I am already going to feel like bloody John Snow with the fur on lol so I would not be able to keep a straight face with the whole get up.
I BEG you, please klm as R4T has advised (as well as PC and Jade) take it to a furrier as they are experienced and if the picture is only half as beautiful as the coat is, it would be a sin to "mess" with them. I am pretty handy by hand as well as a sewing machine but I would never consider butchering a fur coat even if I had gotten it (them) for free, truly!

You got a great deal so why take a chance on losing that money, which BTW was well spent.

Good luck and consider the excellent advice and recommendations you have received!

Old 11-28-2016, 04:02 PM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
I would have it professionally done. While you got the coats for a great price if you ruin it you've just thrown that money away. How skilled are you with sewing?

You must not live someplace where people are going to throw blood on you for wearing a fur coat. I hear it happens in some large cities often. My grandfather used to work for Ritter Brothers Furs in NYC in the 50's I believe. As kids we had hats, muffs (remember them?) and a couch pillow made from leftover fur scraps.

What do you think of doing a pillow or two? You could have a 1940's romantic bedroom vibe going on.

Old 11-28-2016, 04:18 PM

Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I would have it professionally done. While you got the coats for a great price if you ruin it you've just thrown that money away. How skilled are you with sewing?

You must not live someplace where people are going to throw blood on you for wearing a fur coat. I hear it happens in some large cities often. My grandfather used to work for Ritter Brothers Furs in NYC in the 50's I believe. As kids we had hats, muffs (remember them?) and a couch pillow made from leftover fur scraps.

What do you think of doing a pillow or two? You could have a 1940's romantic bedroom vibe going on.
Bloor on my coat ...

If someone throws blood on my coat... there are going to get a beating and/ or a charges pressed against them . I am not kind of person that someon should want to pull that stunt on!

Old 11-28-2016, 04:23 PM

Due to popular opions I called the fur man lol in my area. He told me it will cost $200 to $500 to get what I want done. I got to really think if this is worth it or not so I am have some homework to do. Ex if the mink is worth $3000 new/good condition... I might consider ... but it is only worth $1000 or less... I am not feeling it and at least 1 of the 2 is going to be my experimental piece. Wow lol what did I just get myself in to.

I looked at the fur coats this guy's store sell ....lol, my coats look like road kill by comparison lol. I not even 100% sure about the one I thought was fox fur... it might be rabbit ( or rat lol). The mink one says mink. Me and my bright ideas.

Last edited by klmrocks; 11-28-2016 at 04:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty