Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 08:18 AM

219 posts, read 163,017 times

Advertisements

She dresses modest and with class and still rocks most of her looks!

Old 12-06-2016, 08:23 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,340,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Findley View Post
I am old, white and southern. Michelle Obama has been the most wonderful first lady in my nearly seven decades. I have never seen a more luminous woman in the White House. She always looks great, she wears her clothing effortlessly and confidently. That is the essential core of being chic. Too many seem to think that putting on an appropriate costume is fashion, it is in fact the wearer who makes the wardrobe fashionable!
This ^^

When the wearer feels comfortable and confident in their own skin, they make the clothing a fashion statement.

As for the group of pictures that are supposed to show fashion flaws, a few of those were because of camera angles and the activity of the person being photographed.

There were several pictures of Michelle wearing a form fitting skirt and she is standing still. Looks outstanding (pun unintended?). If you had photographed her in that same outfit while she is walking down a set of stairs, the photographer would have captured the same unflattering pics as those shown in the first group of photos.

As for big rear ends....really? I thought Jennifer Lopez and Kim K. brought those back into style.

Rarely did I see something on Michelle O that I didn't like on her. I would say she had way more hits than misses.

Old 12-06-2016, 02:46 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,001,526 times
Mod cut.

I suspect she's the tallest and fittest FLOTUS we've had and her style seemed to bring out her best qualities.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-08-2016 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: Off-topic.

Old 12-06-2016, 02:51 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,001,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I think she's young, and has young daughters, so it is only normal that she choose trendy, fun clothing. She has a fit body, though some challenges in the bum area, so not everything off the rack is going to look good on her.

I would sooner have a young woman have a fun wardrobe, than dress like a dowdy 70 year old.
No, that's how a bum is supposed to be. A straight-line from the back to the butt (like Taylor Swift) isn't good for anyone!

Old 12-06-2016, 08:44 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,275,373 times
From a male viewpoint , much of what Michelle Obama wore was ill fitting and unflattering to her as a woman. Was that the intention all along?. I have yet to see Michelle O stun everyone with an outfit , well tailored and with lines to complement her figure. Almost utilitarian in basic design and form , her dress sense was never meant to impress. Almost a declaration of judge me by my brains and keep the clothes stuff for some non pc airhead. Ah Michelle as well as others thinking in the same realm. Celebrate your womanhood , it is nothing to be ever ashamed of in life.

Interesting thing about Michelle was she was tall and though large hipped had a physique easier to dress than many other first ladies. All I seem to recall she wearing were frumpy type of dresses. The kind one could purchase at Kohls or somewhere. She seemed to really enjoy the bare arms and bare ankles so much. Was it all an attempt to stay ethnic the whole presentation, the bright colors , bare flesh like going to a Church service in a summer Sunday in Chicago. That is what Michelle reminds me of always with her dress sense.

Old 12-06-2016, 09:09 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,275,373 times
Be beautiful

Old 12-06-2016, 10:18 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
From a male viewpoint , much of what Michelle Obama wore was ill fitting and unflattering to her as a woman. Was that the intention all along?. I have yet to see Michelle O stun everyone with an outfit , well tailored and with lines to complement her figure. Almost utilitarian in basic design and form , her dress sense was never meant to impress. Almost a declaration of judge me by my brains and keep the clothes stuff for some non pc airhead. Ah Michelle as well as others thinking in the same realm. Celebrate your womanhood , it is nothing to be ever ashamed of in life.

Interesting thing about Michelle was she was tall and though large hipped had a physique easier to dress than many other first ladies. All I seem to recall she wearing were frumpy type of dresses. The kind one could purchase at Kohls or somewhere. She seemed to really enjoy the bare arms and bare ankles so much. Was it all an attempt to stay ethnic the whole presentation, the bright colors , bare flesh like going to a Church service in a summer Sunday in Chicago. That is what Michelle reminds me of always with her dress sense.
So let's see, you didn't love Mrs. Obama's clothing because you couldn't check out her assets?!?!?!??!!

There are so many politics around women's bodies. Particularly for black women. You may have missed the myriad of people who called her fat and a variety of other rude comments.

But instead I'll leave you a recent example of a woman who showed off her "assets." It culminated in her school sending a press release stating they talked to her about her form fitting dresses. Imagine how much worse it would have been for the First Lady.

Woman known as 'teacher bae' sparks online debate about appropriate workwear | The Daily Dot

Mrs. O was very very savvy in dressing around the politics of women's bodies and clothing choices.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:19 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post

I don't know about ill fitting and unflattering, but I'm sure Michelle intended to dress modestly, as befits a First Lady. The same is true of all the other FL's I can think of. Jackie O was young and beautiful but she didn't dress like a starlet or even a model.

I have a feeling that you'll see more of Melania's "womanhood." Even if she ends up dressing modestly, you'll be able to see all of her womanhood with a quick google search.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:31 PM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Jackie Kennedy had fashion sense.
Nancy Reagan had fashion sense.
Barbara Bush had fashion sense.
IMO, mrs. obama does not have fashion sense, she just listens to whatever the fashion designer tells her. She could shop wisely at J.C. Penny and look better.
She is fun though and puts herself out there for a laugh, none of them did.

Old 12-07-2016, 02:19 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I think it is pretty much expected that youngish first ladies are supposed to put American fashion designers in the limelight--and of course some international ones as well. People pay attention to what a woman in the headlines wears and it is a chance to feature and support American designers. I think mrs. Obama did just that.

I know when Diana came on the scene the British fashion industry took off like nobody's business. I remember reading about the huge boost in sales and commissions British designers got which, of course, translated into more jobs and more sales. Not so much sales of the high dollar things but the copycat wardrobe.
Right. And I thought Michelle was really famous for promoting all the designers - especially up and coming unusual ones like...from Brooklyn etc....which, even the article talks about.

That's why I didn't really understand the the complaints and saying it'd be up to the "next" first lady to really bring focus to the industry. *shrug

OMG yeah I remember Diana and fashion. That train on that dress!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty