Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 06:39 PM

1,047 posts, read 726,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Since it is the holiday season, I remember a red plaid dress I had. It had an asymmetrical closure, was a relaxed fit that I think would still fit me, and I wore it for a lot of Christmases. It was cute. Why did I get rid of it? I don't know.

I once went shopping in downtown Chicago, at Bloomingdales. I bought an Eileen Fisher outfit. As you may know, her clothes are timeless and I have other clothes of hers that I have worn for 15 years. I no longer have this outfit and I don't know why.

Do you miss something that you gave away?
Yes, on occasion I think of expensive sweaters that got holes in them or other outfits that I just lost. I know clothes are meaningless, but yes, sometimes I do miss a few things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2016, 10:01 PM

21,541 posts, read 8,724,324 times
Great topic! I do get emotionally involved with my favorite articles of clothing, the ones that fit and feel just right. In particular I miss a Peruvian alpaca poncho from my hippie years. It was lightweight and so warm, and because it was alpaca it was naturally water-resistant and shed dirt. In all the 30 years I wore it, it never seemed to need cleaning. I sometimes wore it as a skirt when I was thin enough to do so, and at times it served as a pillow, a throw and a comforter.

About two years ago, I inadvertently left it at a friend's house. One of her dogs got hold of and tore holes in it. Now is at the bottom of my drawer in the hope that maybe someday I can find some clever person who has the skills to repair it. That may never happen, but I still can't bear the thought of tossing out a garment that has been such a beloved part of my life history.

Old 12-08-2016, 10:57 PM

86 posts, read 168,728 times
Yes! I can think of at least 10 garments that I've loved and lost including a red plaid dress with a bias-cut skirt, a shirt that I'm still annoyed at having gotten paint stains on (17 years after it happened!), a pair of harlequin tights from when I was a kid, a fun pink gingham circle skirt, a white eyelet skirt. I'm sure I'll think of more, and this is a great thread, I'm glad to know I'm not alone!
Oddly I'm not much of a clothes-shopper and many of my favorite items have come to me as gifts and hand-me-downs, but I guess that hasn't stopped my becoming attached to some of the nice things I do have.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:06 AM

372 posts, read 521,897 times
I wear a floral, rib-knit tunic top that my Mother wore before she died in 1998. It is the only thing that belonged to her that I still have. When it no longer becomes wearable, I'll put it in my cedar chest. Not getting rid of it---ever.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:33 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,737,232 times
Yes. My Nehru suit.

Old 12-09-2016, 09:00 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
I mourn my dad's passing. I mourn that I had to put my old cat down earlier this year. I mourn a stillborn baby. I do not mourn clothing.

Old 12-09-2016, 09:36 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,017,579 times
I've dressed myself like Stevie Nicks since 1976 so most of my stuff is threadbare when I get rid of it .

My grand , Mom, aunts and myself have always liked quality over quantity so I still have these cool caftans ( a la Endora) and my BELOVED 60's Lilly Pulitzer dresses mom had . When I wear them I do not CARE what people think !

If I get rid of something I am truly done or it needs to go in the trash.

Old 12-09-2016, 12:02 PM

5,133 posts, read 4,484,784 times
I wouldn't say that I "mourn," but I definitely feel a little sad about no longer being able to wear outfits that looked really good on me.

I've had several pants that I used to rock. They fit like they were custom made for me, and I got tons of compliments when I wore them. But after several pregnancies my shape changed and I couldn't fit into them anymore. I weighed the same, but the pants were unwearable.

I've also had gorgeous outfits that I wore once for a special occasion that I never had the chance to wear again due to things like a stain that wouldn't come out, a mothhole in a noticeable place, or it was the wrong season for it the next time there was an appropriate occasion.

Last edited by Sage 80; 12-09-2016 at 12:42 PM..

Old 12-09-2016, 12:09 PM

372 posts, read 521,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
I've had a several pants that I used to rock. They fit like they were custom made for me, and I got tons of compliments when I wore them.
I have a pair of White Stag stonewashed jeans that I bought for under $10 from Wal-Mart ten years ago---and they are the most comfortable jeans I have ever owned. The waistband is becoming a little frayed, but I'm keeping them until the rubber comes out!

Old 12-09-2016, 12:15 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
I rarely get rid of anything unless it no longer fits, so I never have "Why did I give that away" remorse. But I do wear stuff til it's worn out, and I have had this where I was sad that I want able to find a similar replacement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty