Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 09:29 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times

Advertisements

What do you think of adult women wearing short skirts with knee high socks? Trashy? Is it only ok if you're under a certain age? I think it looks really cute, but I would at least wear full tights if I were wearing it to work (although I have seen women at my job wearing short dresses with knee high boots and bare legs and I think that looks inappropriate, but I guess we don't really have a dress code). I am not the model in the photo so please don't get excited!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2016, 09:31 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,843,959 times
i dont like knee highs because i cant seem to get them to stay up but its a cute look!

Old 12-12-2016, 09:41 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
I don't think it is a work appropriate look unless your office is superbcasual. And I think it has an age limit. Probably 30. But that might be excessive. Even if you are super hip. It is a bit to juvenile in my opinion. And can easily veer towards trashy. The pic you posted is cute but she is max 25.

It is just too specific to me. It screams hipster bike girl. Or whatever that trendy Japanese neighborhood is where everyone wears school girl looks well past school age.

Old 12-12-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I don't think it is a work appropriate look unless your office is superbcasual. And I think it has an age limit. Probably 30. But that might be excessive. Even if you are super hip. It is a bit to juvenile in my opinion. And can easily veer towards trashy. The pic you posted is cute but she is max 25.

It is just too specific to me. It screams hipster bike girl. Or whatever that trendy Japanese neighborhood is where everyone wears school girl looks well past school age.
I agree that the look is more suitable for younger women since it has the whole schoolgirl vibe.

Old 12-12-2016, 09:56 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
I wouldn't go so far as to call it trashy, but I agree with most of what Jade said. It is more of a juvenile look, and probably really only looks good on those under the age of 25. Any older, and I would feel like you're trying to hard to look "hip" and "cool".

A short skirt with tights is different though. Depending on the skirt and tights, I think that is a look anyone can wear at any age. I also feel like knee high boots are a different look than knee high socks, and can be worn at any age. As long as the skirt/dress is work appropriate, I don't think boots and bare legs suddenly makes it an inappropriate outfit.

Old 12-12-2016, 09:57 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,442,558 times
Looks just fine!

Old 12-12-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I wouldn't go so far as to call it trashy, but I agree with most of what Jade said. It is more of a juvenile look, and probably really only looks good on those under the age of 25. Any older, and I would feel like you're trying to hard to look "hip" and "cool".

A short skirt with tights is different though. Depending on the skirt and tights, I think that is a look anyone can wear at any age. I also feel like knee high boots are a different look than knee high socks, and can be worn at any age. As long as the skirt/dress is work appropriate, I don't think boots and bare legs suddenly makes it an inappropriate outfit.
In my opinion, they were showing too much skin. I guess I don't feel like I should be seeing bare upper thighs at work. lol And they were high heeled knee high boots with short, tight dresses.

Old 12-12-2016, 10:03 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
What do you think of adult women wearing short skirts with knee high socks? Trashy? Is it only ok if you're under a certain age? I think it looks really cute, but I would at least wear full tights if I were wearing it to work (although I have seen women at my job wearing short dresses with knee high boots and bare legs and I think that looks inappropriate, but I guess we don't really have a dress code). I am not the model in the photo so please don't get excited!
It reads as very young, and not sophisticated at all. The picture you posted is of a shorter skirt than I feel is appropriate for someone working in a career type situation.

It is incredibly hard for women, and young women in particular to manage looking fashionable and striking a serious tone at work. IMO, if you are working in a career, especially one that is typically male dominated, it is better to err on less fashionable and more serious.

The reality is, at work, you do not every want to be remembered for what you are wearing, you want to be remembered for what you do. The picture you posted while not trashy per se, is very memorable.

Old 12-12-2016, 10:11 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times
I wouldn't wear it as I also feel it's a look for younger girls. I don't think the picture is trashy as the skirt isn't all that short and the girl has a sweater so it could also look cute, but I've seen some really short skirts with that look and it's definitely trashy. Not a look for work!

Old 12-12-2016, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
It reads as very young, and not sophisticated at all. The picture you posted is of a shorter skirt than I feel is appropriate for someone working in a career type situation.

It is incredibly hard for women, and young women in particular to manage looking fashionable and striking a serious tone at work. IMO, if you are working in a career, especially one that is typically male dominated, it is better to err on less fashionable and more serious.

The reality is, at work, you do not every want to be remembered for what you are wearing, you want to be remembered for what you do. The picture you posted while not trashy per se, is very memorable.
I agree. I usually wear pants to work and clothes that don't draw too much attention, but I recently bought a skirt and a cardigan and I was planning to wear it with tights. I don't think a skirt like that with tights is too short for my job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty