Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 07:09 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkiforniainHouston View Post
I loved Opium, Poison, Beautiful by Estee Lauder back in the '80's -'90's
As much as I admire Dior cosmetics, I never cared for their perfumes; neither for florals, nor for their "Poison."

Quote:
I was in Macy's a few months ago, noticed and tried on a spray of Poison.

Maybe it was me, but it didn't smell the same. It wasn't rich and heady, it was more chemical-like, or synthetic-y. I can't really describe it. Needless to say, I was not transported back to 1989 for a few minutes, and just moved on and continued shopping

No-no, they've reformulated them of course, that's the whole point. In fact, that's why I've started this thread)))
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 07:37 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
^^^^ It's been reformulated. That's what's been happening to all the beautiful classic perfumes that were created before the endless European Union anti-allergy rules on perfume ingredients.

They've banned just about every natural ingredient that perfumers used to use. Now almost every ingredient is created in a lab. Most of the reformulations using man-made ingredients end up smelling like roach spray.

It's very interesting that all the anti-allergy rules have resulted an uptick in perfume allergies like never before--probably due to all the new chemicals coming out of the labs.

That's what I've said earlier - it's not so much the strong scents that make people allergic, but all those chemicals that these perfumes have been made of lately)))

So... since you are knowledgeable about all that, and are probably well familiar with Opium, here is my question;
I've got couple of vintage bottles from e-bay ( and by vintage I mean early nineties) - they are both spray bottles of course, EDT, and then I had some leftovers from the early 200ies bottlle.
From the get-go, the first two bottles had identical scent, that I didn't care much for. I assumed they were spoiled/off, while the 200ies smelled real nice straight from the bottle. With that being said, when I spray from the 1990ies bottles, the scent is unpleasant to begin with, but the longer it sits, the better it becomes, producing the array of different notes. Which didn't seem a case with the 200ies bottle.
So in order to clear my doubts, I harried to my refined and cultured gay friend, shove two bottles under his nose ( the 90ies and 200ies ones,) and asked "What do you think, is this one spoiled and that one is OK?" To my surprise he told me that no, it's not spoiled, it smells like a very expensive perfume, for special occasions sorta, while the other one smells like something more casual."
Now I am even more flabbergasted.
I don't remember Opium smelling blah straight from the bottle.
But if it's really spoiled, why it smells quiet pleasant after it sits a while?
Any ideas?

Old 01-03-2017, 07:55 PM

5,133 posts, read 4,485,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
...I harried to my refined and cultured gay friend, shove two bottles under his nose ( the 90ies and 200ies ones,) and asked "What do you think, is this one spoiled and that one is OK?" To my surprise he told me that no, it's not spoiled, it smells like a very expensive perfume, for special occasions sorta, while the other one smells like something more casual."
Now I am even more flabbergasted.
I don't remember Opium smelling blah straight from the bottle.
But if it's really spoiled, why it smells quiet pleasant after it sits a while?
Any ideas?
This is about as thorough an analysis of Opium as I've ever read. Perfume Review - Vintage Opium by YSL: A Tribute - Kafkaesque

Old 01-03-2017, 09:08 PM

3,071 posts, read 1,682,055 times
Quote:
They DID come up with different versions of it, but I wouldn't call it a "good comeback," because the most popular from the latest versions (from what I surmise) is THIS ONE, which is as sugary as it gets, and HAS NOTHING IN COMMON WITH THE ORIGINAL ONE.
I hate it when this happens.

Possibly back before your time was a Helena Rubenstein fragrance called 'Heaven Sent' that I loved (I also like powdery scents). It was discontinued a long time ago. Then Dana bought it and their version isn't nearly so good.

My very favorite scent ever is an 80's scent, 'Cher Uninhibited'.

Old 01-04-2017, 12:16 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,940,029 times
I so remember Opium, Poison, Obsession and Giorgio back in the 80's! Had them all!

Nowadays I would be running to the nearest bathroom if I smelled them

Old 01-05-2017, 09:19 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
It's one of those that I'm torn on. It walks the line between classic and dated.

Old 01-05-2017, 12:57 PM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Think it was the last perfume I ever wore in the 80s as cant use or be near any perfumes now.. I had always loved perfume since a young girl but they started putting too many chemicals into new ones and its caused a lot of allergic reactions in people...

Old 01-05-2017, 03:02 PM

3,071 posts, read 1,682,055 times
Quote:
As much as I admire Dior cosmetics, I never cared for their perfumes; neither for florals, nor for their "Poison."

Poison is the one scent that I learned to dislike quickly. When it first came out I just HAD to have some, and at first I liked it, but in no time at all that changed. Also, the hemlock in it tended to give people headaches at the time.

I'm a big collector of scents. I must own at least 75 different fragrances in perfumes, colognes, and many oils. All different kinds of scents, even some OLD ones that my mother wore and that I still like (such as My Sin). And, yes, I wear them.

Old 01-06-2017, 06:12 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Ive been looking at perfumes made the old fashioned way before all the junk was put into them, has anyone tried any of these as Id love to wear something nice smelling again after over thirty years perfume free.. 12 companies that make luxurious all-natural perfumes : TreeHugger

Old 01-06-2017, 08:13 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Quote:
Why not now? What changed in you, that it was OK back then, but NOW it would be "a bit heavy?"

In my case I used to live on Long Island. A perfume that smelled okay when it's freezing cold smells much stronger when it's 95 degrees and humid like it is where I live now in Florida. I never liked Opium or any of those heavy, overpowering, sweet fragrances. Almost every perfume I owned came in a blue bottle and had a light scent: Cool Water for Women, Acqua di Gioia, Very Cool by Tommy Bahama.

Then when I had my thyroid removed and my vocal cord was paralyzed I became very sensitive to strong perfumes. I will seriously lose my voice almost completely when I'm near someone with heavy perfume or walk into a room with a heavy air freshener or candle burning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty