Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 10:59 PM

15 posts, read 26,926 times

Advertisements

I am really uneducated when it comes to anything fashion related and am looking to buy a simple classic handbag that will last me at least a couple of years. I can spend up to $150 but am really hoping to keep it under $100. Can anyone give me some guidance of what to look for to make sure the bag will actually last? Any brands in that price range that are known to be durable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 11:13 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,729,878 times
It all depends on how rough you are with your stuff. I am really rough with my stuff... but also have lots of bags and usually get them on sale. If you live in USA check out Marshalls, TJ Max or Ross's if you want new. There is an art to buying resale designer bags so unless you know how to spot a fake and weed out the lemons the options I memtioned might be good. Personally I woukd try to get 2 quaility bags for that price rather then one. Things do break and wouldn't you get bored using tge same bag over and over again? Also check out JCP pennies and Macy's for January clearence sales. For that price point I would suggest brands like coach, Michael kors and kate spade for decent quality.

Old 01-03-2017, 11:17 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
One thing you can do is look for a more expensive bag that's on sale. January and February are the biggest clearance-sale months in the year. Prices get slashed progressively as the weeks go on, and stores need to get rid of last year's inventory. You can pick up some great items during this time.

Also, I find that cottage-industry leatherworks make very good and stylish handbags. You can sometimes find these at small shoestores, and specialty bag shops. There's a guy in Colorado, for example, who markets his bags around the western US, and they're very well-made and well-designed. Maybe there's something like that in your region. Bags like that are priced more cheaply than expensive brand-name bags, but are high quality and stylish.

Leather bags by the brand Nine West are affordable, good quality, and very stylish. I'm not sure who carries them: Macy's, and other department stores. You can look them up online. They also make nylon bags, but I wouldn't trust nylon to last very long.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:08 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,688,290 times
Hell any purse i pay $100 for had better be good quality regardless of the brand.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:19 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,970,933 times
I would rather get a used designer bag than a new lower quality bag. I really like buying used purses on eBay. I have gotten several pristine quality bags (6 or so) for amazing prices. Coach is a good quality brand, but I prefer brands that look more unique personally. Of course that's a matter of taste. I have two Botkier and a Treesje bags that I bought on eBay. One of the Botkier bags was used and I got it for $22! It looked like it had never been carried. The other Botkier was brand new with ink spots, which the seller disclosed before I bought it. I got it for $70. I looked up how to remove them and I got them out without damaging the leather. My Treesje bag was $75. It also looked like it had never been used. All of these bags retailed for about $500 new. I also have a Coach purse that I got as a gift, but I don't carry it much because it is so heavy. All of my purses have withstood the test of time.

As for the question of authenticity vs. fake, if you buy on eBay, you have buyer protection if a seller scams you. But they usually don't because they have a feedback rating to protect. Another good place to buy is Etsy. I got a custom made leather wristlet for $56. I carry it to the buffet and when I go clubbing. It's really cool to have a unique purse, and getting a bag customized doesn't cost any extra.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:32 AM

50,379 posts, read 64,021,617 times
Look for leather. I have a $100 rule about purses, and I've never had trouble finding them. The brand I have more of is SAK and Fossil. Their purses are leather and fabric, and they have a nice feel, and compartments inside. I would never buy a purse without being able to touch it.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:40 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,970,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Look for leather. I have a $100 rule about purses, and I've never had trouble finding them. The brand I have more of is SAK and Fossil. Their purses are leather and fabric, and they have a nice feel, and compartments inside. I would never buy a purse without being able to touch it.
I always got leather too, and then I read that nylon is a good alternative too. I purchased a black nylon purse and it is great. Nylon is weather and stain resistant and it's easy to clean. Plus it has a pretty shiny look that I like. I once purchased a velvet (velour?) Juicy Couture purse. Never again! That thing got so dirty in about five seconds and it was impossible to clean. I ended up donating it to Goodwill.

Old 01-04-2017, 08:24 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
One thing you can do is look for a more expensive bag that's on sale. January and February are the biggest clearance-sale months in the year. Prices get slashed progressively as the weeks go on, and stores need to get rid of last year's inventory. You can pick up some great items during this time.

Also, I find that cottage-industry leatherworks make very good and stylish handbags. You can sometimes find these at small shoestores, and specialty bag shops. There's a guy in Colorado, for example, who markets his bags around the western US, and they're very well-made and well-designed. Maybe there's something like that in your region. Bags like that are priced more cheaply than expensive brand-name bags, but are high quality and stylish.

Leather bags by the brand Nine West are affordable, good quality, and very stylish. I'm not sure who carries them: Macy's, and other department stores. You can look them up online. They also make nylon bags, but I wouldn't trust nylon to last very long.
Nine West doesn't make many leather bags any more. Most are pleather. I haven't seen a leather one in a while.

I'd be inclined to look for a discounted Fossil bag. Or Calvin Klein.

Old 01-04-2017, 08:49 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,356,633 times
I wish there were. My wife has over 50 bags and not a single one of them cost less than $200. She fell in love with a bag this season and that set me back $360 +.

Outlets can be a blessing though but they do not always carry the same line as the regular stores.

As a husband I have learned a lot more about bags then I have ever wanted to learn. I know what is hot and what is not. I also realize that a $300 bag is entry level when it comes to bags. I have seen bags in the $10,000 plus range. Not that we own any of them.

Now the question: Why so many bags? Style my friends style. Bags are an extension of the outfit that she is wearing at the time. Sure she has her go to bags for normal life, but depending on what we are doing or going to do she will change it up.

Old 01-04-2017, 08:51 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,650,271 times
Check out shopgoodwill.com You can try bags there for under $100, really nice name brand ones.

I have a couple really nice Kate Spade purses I bought from shopgoodwill.com and they are very nice quality. I have one Katherine Kwai, which retails for $1400. I paid $200.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty