Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 08:54 PM

1,149 posts, read 933,721 times

Advertisements

I agree, she looked stunning and Ralph Lauren was certainly not afraid to have her in his design. Pretty sure she has had a stylist for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 08:54 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,852,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
It's possible to be modern and fashion forward while still being a dignified First Lady.
e.g Michelle Obama!

*Carla Bruni, Queen Raina also come to mind but are not "First Ladies" in the American sense.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:32 PM

729 posts, read 429,145 times
Her outfits were absolutely gorgeous.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:50 AM

5,132 posts, read 4,481,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Well a bunch of my 20-something coworkers get fillers regularly. I work in Silicon Valley. People are doing decent but not billionaires or even millionaires. It is the new thing.
^^^^ This has got to be the height of stupidity. What wrinkles do people in their 20s need to fill out?

It never ceases to amaze me how people think they can inject all kinds of toxic things into their bodies with no long-term consequences.

Anyway, Melania's inauguration outfit looked good on her. It's not a look that many women could pull off successfully. I'm quite sure that someone in her position has a stylist to help her put together her outfits.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:59 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,887,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
LOL. Sorry, I couldn't help from laughing. I have taught hundreds of Asians (Japanese, primarily) and their eyes are not at all squinty like Melania's are now, after her fillers or eye surgery.

See her beautiful, wide open eyes as a young model, vs. now:

As for Slavic women, if you cruise, whether on an Ocean or European river cruise, you are likely to be served by Slavic women and men if your crew is white. They do not have squinty eyes.
Melania is so much prettier in the first photo. Not just the age difference, but the warmth and naturalness projected in her expression are very appealing. She looks very charming and approachable.

She's clearly gone under the knife several times too many since then, and the results are not as flattering as they might be - far too plastic and original-Barbie like now, which I find very off-putting. Yes, she's beautiful by some standards - just not my standards. She looks nothing like her earlier self now, sadly.

I have Slavic relatives - one young woman has slightly naturally slanted eyes, but nothing like this, nor are her eyes squinty.

For the record, I thought Melania's blue outfit was great, although black or nude shoes and black gloves would have been more becoming. A-

The gold lame ball gown appeared to be a size or two too small and fitted too snugly - not appropriate for her new position. Otherwise, the dress itself was okay - just too figure-fitting. C+

Her white inaugural ball gown was okay, not very inspiring or surprising. I don't think the narrow red sash added much - it was more distracting - my first reaction was "What is that around her waist?" In this case, all-white would have been better. B.

I really liked Ivanka's sparkly, traditional princess look. Very pretty, and she carried it off well. A.

Mrs. Pence's midnight blue gown was lovely - she is not a classic beauty, but wore this dress very well and looked very happy and approachable, which certainly added to her appeal, especially as compared with the often expressionless Melania. A.

Last edited by CraigCreek; 01-24-2017 at 11:07 AM..

Old 01-24-2017, 08:15 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,887,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Melania is so much prettier in the first photo. Not just the age difference, but the warmth and naturalness projected in her expression are very appealing. She looks very charming and approachable.

She's clearly gone under the knife several times too many since then, and the results are not as flattering as they might be - far too plastic and original-Barbie like now, which I find very off-putting. Yes, she's beautiful by some standards - just not my standards. She looks nothing like her earlier self now, sadly.

I have Slavic relatives - one young woman has slightly naturally slanted eyes, but nothing like this, nor are her eyes squinty.

For the record, I thought Melania's blue outfit was great, although black or nude shoes and black gloves would have been more becoming. A-

The gold lame ball gown appeared to be a size or two too small and fitted too snugly - not appropriate for her new position. Otherwise, the dress itself was okay - just too figure-fitting. C+

Her white inaugural ball gown was okay, not very inspiring or surprising. I don't think the narrow red sash added much - it was more distracting - my first reaction was "What is that around her waist?" In this case, all-white would have been better. B.

I really liked Ivanka's sparkly, traditional princess look. Very pretty, and she carried it off well. A.

Mrs. Pence's midnight blue gown was lovely - she is not a classic beauty, but wore this dress very well and looked very happy and approachable, which certainly added to her appeal, especially as compared with the often expressionless Melania. A.
For the anonymous person who just misused the point system to "inform" me that bold letters equate to online shouting - no, they do not. CAPS equal shouting, not bolding, which is done simply to emphasize the message and distinguish it from that to which one is responding.

And no, I'm not going to "lay off", as you also rudely requested. I do not comply with anonymous orders which result from ignorance.

BTW, it's not nice to send anonymous messages and misuse the C-D point system. Rest assured your actions will be reported to the monitors

Thank you.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:02 AM

26,773 posts, read 22,518,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I appreciate your opinion, but disagree. The monocromatic look suits her and does not distract from that beautiful face. Sometimes simple is better.
There she is. Still in blue, but not emulating Jackie Kennedy in this case.
Just perfect.

https://scontent-dft4-1.xx.fbcdn.net...a4&oe=59138576

Quote:
Mrs. Pence's dress was the same at the ball - no unnecessary doo dads and nice lines. She is a nice looking older woman and I will enjoy getting to know her.
Some women are simply not cut for ball gowns.
I am sure there are few outfits out there that would look better on Mrs. Pence.
But I guess she HAD to wear the ball gown under the circumstances, that's all to it.

Old 01-25-2017, 07:08 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,484,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
For the anonymous person who just misused the point system to "inform" me that bold letters equate to online shouting - no, they do not. CAPS equal shouting, not bolding, which is done simply to emphasize the message and distinguish it from that to which one is responding.

And no, I'm not going to "lay off", as you also rudely requested. I do not comply with anonymous orders which result from ignorance.

BTW, it's not nice to send anonymous messages and misuse the C-D point system. Rest assured your actions will be reported to the monitors

Thank you.
It's unnecessary to use bold to distinguish from the message to which you're replying. The quote function, and subsequently the box placed around the message accomplishes that sufficiently.

Good luck getting people to stop using reps to send anonymous messages. It will always happen, and the mods (not monitors) aren't going to step in unless there's some abusive harassment going on. On the bright side, the anonymous messages increase your reps.

But to bring it back to the subject, I would have to drop Ivanka's dress down a letter grade because it was too close to her skin tone. I would have preferred a touch more color. Perhaps more of a blush. Her green dress and coat however, looked great.

Old 01-27-2017, 07:41 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,259,553 times
Am I the only person that didn't like Melania's blue dress? It was appropriate for the event I just didn't like the style.

Her white dress was very pretty.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:34 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,852,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
Am I the only person that didn't like Melania's blue dress? It was appropriate for the event I just didn't like the style.

Her white dress was very pretty.
It didn't seem very Melania. That was the problem. Nice but wrong for the woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty