Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 09:22 AM

1,055 posts, read 1,415,487 times

Advertisements

Pajamas, what are those?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 09:24 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
I do not understand people who claim pjs are smelly. Do they not bathe? Do they not wash their sheets? Do they not wash their pajamas? Do they wear the same ones over and over and over again? Perhaps the problem isn't with the pajamas.

Anyway, I wear my pajamas out every single morning. To walk the dogs while they do their business. I do not care what someone thinks about my attire. I'm going back to bed as soon as we are done, so no, I'm not going to get up and get dressed just to please pearl clutchers in society.

I have never gone to the store or anywhere else in public in my pajamas, but that's because I don't want my pajamas to get dirty touching public seating areas. As soon as I walk in the door at home, I put on my pajamas because they are comfortable. No shoe wearing in the house, no street clothes wearing in the house - I think that is disgustingly unsanitary.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:29 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Sometimes getting the newspaper out of driveway in the morning. But it's more like boxers and a tee shirt. My wife considers them pajamas.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:33 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo1 View Post
I have once played outside with my friends in the park wearing my pyjama bottoms

Never to the shops though.
How old are you?

I would not wear any in public if I had any. I don't own pyjamas.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:50 AM

4,565 posts, read 5,419,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo1 View Post
Have you ever gone out in public in your pyjamas?.
No I havent. But, Im a dude and 1) dudes dont really wear pajamas; 2) I dont think they even make male pajamas that one could wear while out and about; and 3) The creep/pervert factor of a guy out in public wearing pajamas would be off the charts so much that police would be called to investigate.

Women can pull this off with no problem at all and I've seen it many times. I've seen women in Starbucks getting their morning cup of whatever-they-drink in their pajamas and most times they look incredible as all get out. Im talking pajama pants and shirt with just a jacket thrown over the top and maybe a beanie type hat. But, where I live, people (women) tend to be on the higher end of attractiveness it doesnt look bad or creepy as often their sense of style still comes through.

Some examples of what I have seen:

http://www.stanzinos.com/images/SLS0500OCEANAQUA.jpg
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/Ku4AAO...q0p/s-l400.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...47c798b112.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-wPu10mfK43...ank+Pajama.jpg
http://image.venusswimwear.com/is/image/Venus/Z65534-VIMU.19?$Dept240X337$

Again, I've seen women do this quite often and I have absolutely no problem with it. Neither do they because they are out like that. So......no biggie.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:56 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,647,187 times
In my PJs and Robe to let the dog out to teetee or pick up the newspaper (when I took one).

Old 01-23-2017, 10:06 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Only to get the mail. I was tempted to drive the kids to school one day in pajamas but knew that would be day I would have to get out of the car so I resisted the urge.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:09 AM

636 posts, read 392,749 times
Not sure what the big deal is

Pajama bottoms are a type of pant.
Pajama tops are a type of shirt

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old 01-23-2017, 10:12 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckOfMs View Post
Not sure what the big deal is

Pajama bottoms are a type of pant.
Pajama tops are a type of shirt

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
... that is made to be worn when you sleep.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:27 AM

636 posts, read 392,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
... that is made to be worn when you sleep.
And I still fail to see what the big deal is.

Are people similarly aghast when they see someone wearing soccer shorts (made to be worn when you play soccer) jogging? Or jogging shorts when drinking a smoothies? Leather motorcycle jacket when shopping?

Some people are would up pretty tight.

Also, an interesting etymology of the word "pajama"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerriamWebster
When the English went to India they saw many people wearing light, loose trousers. In Hindi, a major language of northern India, these trousers were called pājāma. This word had been borrowed by Hindi speakers from Persian, a language of Iran. In Persian pājāma is a compound made up of pā-, “foot, leg” and jāma, “garment.” The English adopted both the word and the loose trousers from Hindi, using the trousers in place of a nightshirt to sleep in.

So, actually, pajama's were regular pants that British people decided to sleep in.

If anyone is going against the intended use of pajama's it's people who wear them to bed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty