Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2017, 12:23 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,421,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwarmy View Post
I usually assume guys are trying to hide a weak or double chin when they have a full beard.
Beard or not they have a weak chin, so what's wrong with covering it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 12:44 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
A lot of people are pointing out that historically beards were very common. A lot of men had beards, including Jesus. The difference is that it was a matter of not really having a choice. Now that we have things like running water, indoor plumbing, and efficient razors readily available, it's much easier to shave. If I had to use a knife down by the river, I probably wouldn't have shaved either.

And I still think they are just unsanitary. And science backs me up. Your legs, underarms, chest, pubic area, etc. don't generally come in contact with food, so they are not subject to that additional bacteria.
Just an FYI, "science" does not back this up. That widely reported store involved a TV news crew swabbing the beards of a few men as well as toilet seats. They did not even bother to swab the faces of clean-shaven men. It was far from a scientific study.

Is Your Beard Packed With Germs?

Old 01-30-2017, 01:04 PM

5,343 posts, read 3,844,532 times
Thanks for bothering to read the article I posted, which renders your link irrelevant.

Old 01-30-2017, 01:08 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,130,626 times
Cry me a river

Old 01-30-2017, 01:09 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,705,760 times
In 1971 I was home sick with the flu for a week. In a week I can grow a good beard, and knowing my boss hated beards, I went to work with it when I returned to work. I had left the corporate world and was selling furniture again while taking university classes on investment real estate evenings.

The boss did not say anything, waited for me to just cut it off. I had been back to work a couple of weeks when he came up and said never cut that beard off. The family owned three stores in the same town. One bargain furniture owned by the dad. The one I worked at was middle quality furniture. The last on was very high end furniture. I worked at the middle quality. His brother told him that they kept getting customers coming in that asked for the man with a beard, and as I was the only one they were sent to us. My income actually went up about 15% (over $125,000 a year in today's dollars) as people sending their friends to buy from me, sent them to see the guy with a beard.

At the end of a year, I went into Brokering Investment Real Estate. I could call an expert I had met once in another state, and get recognized as I was the big guy with a beard. I am 6'2" tall and wore expensive cow boy boots, so looked to be about 6'5" tall (and with my stetson on close to 7 feet tall) with a full 2 inch long well trimmed beard. I was a regular writer for 2 professional magazines and a feature article on me in the Realtors Magazine, with my picture with every one. The type of real estate I did, I attended real estate marketing meetings all over western half of the U.S. and as far away as the Cayman Islands. With a western suit, and my beard and a Stetson hat, I was easily recognized at meetings all over and sought out by people that dealt in my type of real estate. That beard made me easily recognized by people I had never met, and made me a lot of money. It was my trade mark, and I could not afford to cut it off.

I had to cut it off in 2006, as I had to start wearing a sleep apnea mask, and you cannot wear a beard when wearing a mask for pressurized oxygen. The mask will not seal with a beard.

Old 01-30-2017, 01:29 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,567,269 times
Save those beards guys, if you decide to cut them off one day. You're gonna need them for a toupee.

Old 01-30-2017, 02:38 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,705,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Save those beards guys, if you decide to cut them off one day. You're gonna need them for a toupee.
No we just shave our heads, and go bald on top. Makes you look younger, than a fringe and a fake look toupee.

Old 01-30-2017, 02:50 PM

7,996 posts, read 10,362,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
Your initial argument was that men grow beards because they're ugly and are trying to hide weak facial features. But when confronted with handsome men, who not only look good with facial hair, they actually look better with beards (I handpicked those guys for this reason), you have no coherent arguments to fall back upon. You're now coming across as completely confused, producing convoluted responses, it's like watching a computer malfunctioning.

Go back to your cave, that's where all the low-T men belong
Honestly, I think all of those men look better without a beard. And I'm a woman, so I don't think my testosterone level has anything to do with that.

Old 01-30-2017, 02:52 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,330,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
I hate beards on men. Most women do. esp. those gross long ones
Maybe they're not growing them for you, spokeswoman for most women..

Old 01-30-2017, 02:58 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,645,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mideto View Post
It seems every douchebag is growing a beard just to grow a beard, as if the act of having facial hair defines what it means to be a man. Growing a beard does not in any way automatically grant you some magical gift of manly toughness. And just because a man is clean shaven doesn’t mean he’s any less of a man.

I swear, I can go to Walmart, the mall, a convenience store and at least 90% of guys have a beard. Most of them are patchy, don't have the right density and coverage and it simply does not suit them, it looks terrible. Yet, in their minds, they are convinced or better put, deluded that they look more handsome, more alpha, macho, masculine, etc. lmao

Notice how the "bearded" men, are the first ones to make fun of guys who shave, and call them, girls or boys, or even worse, make fun of guys who cannot grow beards. It comes from insecurity, low self esteem and feelings of inadequacy. This bearded fella doesn't realize the fact that he makes fun of clean shaven men, proves that he is insecure, which is not a manly quality.

A modern guy between 18 and 30 years old? You can bet he has some facial hair going. Almost, as if is a given. They grow their beards to prove their manliness, but it is actually having the opposite effect now.

This happens when everyone follows the same trend, it loses its appeal, it becomes a negative thing. Imagine if achieving a muscular ripped body was as easy as taking a pill, every schmook down the street would look like a fitness model, and it would completely lose the appeal it has on society, women, media, etc.

Many men say that they look better with a beard. If you look better with a beard, then I'm sorry, but it means you are ugly. The beard is covering imperfections in your face, such as double chin, recessive chin, weak jaw, scars, acne spots, fat cheeks, etc. You're basically saying "I look better with a third of my face covered"
someone with a beard must have really rustled your jimmies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty