Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2022, 01:16 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times

Advertisements

My purse post got me thinking about this other issue regarding purses/bags/whatever. I only use that style now for convenience and security.

But when I see my reflection occasionally and how the weight distribution messes with the bustline, it's rather off-putting. Compressing part of one side and really defining the space between. Looks unnatural and breasts too protruding. Sort of similar to seat-belt effects on the bust.

I'm old enough to not really care anymore, but curious if this affects your decision to go with cross-body handbags or not.

A quick look at google didn't show any do's or don'ts on what I'm referring to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2022, 02:27 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
I've never had the problem you're discussing. Maybe we have different bust sizes, but my crossbody strap generally rests between the girls.

Old 03-30-2022, 06:19 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I've never had the problem you're discussing. Maybe we have different bust sizes, but my crossbody strap generally rests between the girls.
I think she’s saying that because it goes between the busts, it emphasizes them? The other trend that seems to be in now is wearing a fanny pack cross body, but that would seemingly be worse because it emphasizes one side. It’s definitely a practical option if you are riding a bike though as it doesn’t really affect your range of motion.

The other alternative is a mini backpack. That said, I live in the non fashion-oriented Chicagoland and the full-size backpack is VERY popular. I typically choose what I use based on the activity and will sometimes go with the full-sized backpack and other times a crossbody. Obviously if I am going into a museum or show, the backpack is typically too large.

Old 03-30-2022, 08:44 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I think she’s saying that because it goes between the busts, it emphasizes them? The other trend that seems to be in now is wearing a fanny pack cross body, but that would seemingly be worse because it emphasizes one side. It’s definitely a practical option if you are riding a bike though as it doesn’t really affect your range of motion.
Again, I haven't had that problem. I don't find that the strap going between the girls emphasizes them.

Old 03-30-2022, 10:42 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post

The other alternative is a mini backpack. That said, I live in the non fashion-oriented Chicagoland and the full-size backpack is VERY popular. I typically choose what I use based on the activity and will sometimes go with the full-sized backpack and other times a crossbody. Obviously if I am going into a museum or show, the backpack is typically too large.
Yes, that's what I was trying to say in my own awkward way, lol. The strap emphasizes them too much. It looks kind of tacky, but not much I can do! Like the way the shoulder-restraint in cars does.

Oh well. Just wondered if anyone else had that problem....

Old 03-30-2022, 11:07 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
I've been using a cross body bag for years and will never go back to carrying a purse by the strap or wearing one on my shoulder. I LOVE having my hands free.

The cross body that I wear is small, not much bigger than a wallet. It has a place for my driver's license and various cards/coupons, a place for cash and a pocket for my phone. That's it, that's all I carry around with me and it's wonderful. If I wanted to bring a lipstick or small comb along I could manage to fit those in somewhere but I don't. I love that my purse is kept secure on the front of my body and that I can see it at all times. I feel like less of a target for purse snatchers.

As far as chest size goes, I'm a DD and my bag is so light that the indentation you are describing does not happen. Your bag is probably too heavy and filled with stuff that you really don't need to be carrying around with you.

Old 03-30-2022, 11:26 AM

20,757 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Embrace it

I am sure no one is bothered by it.

Old 03-30-2022, 08:26 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
My purse post got me thinking about this other issue regarding purses/bags/whatever. I only use that style now for convenience and security.

But when I see my reflection occasionally and how the weight distribution messes with the bustline, it's rather off-putting. Compressing part of one side and really defining the space between. Looks unnatural and breasts too protruding. Sort of similar to seat-belt effects on the bust.

I'm old enough to not really care anymore, but curious if this affects your decision to go with cross-body handbags or not.

A quick look at google didn't show any do's or don'ts on what I'm referring to.
I’m going to say no. For me. Let me explain.

My shoulders are very sloped. And carrying a shoulder strap handbag means I’m going to be manipulating that bag by pulling it down so it stays on my shoulder or clutching it against myself and hiking that strap up constantly.

And I have seen a lot of people carrying bags with handles, I despise that look.

So I prefer a Crossbody bag with a thinner strap. And a smaller bag. I don’t like to carry everything and the kitchen sink. I carry my phone, my calendar, a pen, my credit cards, and that’s it.

In fact, there has been an uptick on purse snatchings around here, and it’s not just that your purse gets stolen, it appears as if the people who are doing the stealing have decided that it’s just as fun to beat up the person they’re stealing from. So little old ladies are getting beaten up to grab their purses. Totally unnecessary.

That made me get my new phone case. It’s got a credit card slot in the back. It is made out of of vinyl or plastic, and my love handle, which is the elastic thing that I put my fingers through sticks beautifully. It’s also a very flat handle. This allows me to tuck it into my front pocket, and my keys go into the other front pocket. And I get left alone.

https://www.amazon.com/Smartish-iPho...%2C133&sr=8-19

https://www.amazon.com/LOVEHANDLE-Sm...%2C131&sr=8-10

Old 03-30-2022, 09:36 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
I carried my purses with the strap on my left shoulder for decades and then around 15 years ago I noticed that my left shoulder appeared to be quite a bit lower than the right one. Prior to that I hadn't paid much attention to what carrying a heavy purse every day was doing to my body. It wasn't really my shoulder or its structure that had changed, it was actually my posture and the way I carried myself that had changed in order to compensate for the weight of the purses on the left shoulder.

So since then I've been wearing my purses with the strap on my right shoulder and going across my body around the back and front so I can still keep my purse on my left side with the weight of it resting in the vicinity of my left hip (I need to keep it on the left). It's taken this past 15 years of wearing the purse with the strap cross-body for my posture to gradually readjust and correct itself so I'm standing straighter with both of my shoulders looking level with each other now.

The strap in the front goes between my breasts and it hasn't made my bust look more pronounced or defined. And even if it did, I'd still rather have my bust look more defined than to have the upper half of my body looking lop-sided and off kilter the way it was happening before.

Old 03-30-2022, 10:10 PM

7,478 posts, read 3,219,325 times
I've used the cross body bags for decades. I love them for the hands free functionality. I have only owned a few (mostly Coach with the locking closure). When they were cheap I picked up two more Willis bags and a new Station bag (boy did those go up in price and now they refurbish old ones and sell them for (well, Coach had a refurbished station bag on their website for $700 (an old used bag)). I paid $250 new (when they re-released a few years ago). The Willis I got for $200 are now $550. I probably will never "need" to buy another purse (the same cannot be said for wallets though).

I also use a Messenger Bag (cross body) instead of a briefcase. And, I carry the Messenger Bag and the crossbody purse at the same time if I need to (for work). I had the original back in 1997 (actually the Jack Georges which was essentially the same as the Willis -- You can get the vintage Coach stuff from Jack Georges actually still). Their 3 gusset university messenger bag I found at a local luggage store during the great recession for like $186. It's still a great bag and holds a ton (new is now $598). I just take them to be re-dyed every few years.

To say I have not been focused on my image is a gross understatement. But, at this age. I have to say I just do not give a Fn Fk if you get my gist. My body has been carved up one side and down the other and has so many pin, screws and plates and I have a limp (to say the least). So I will just do what I want and can own that I really do not care what anyone else's opinion of me is.

Please yourself and forget it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty