Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2017, 06:31 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,692,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Insanely low-cut necklines were also popular in the Victorian era, but only as formal wear. Daywear typically involved high-necked dresses.

I can't think of any other reason why mothers would teach their daughters to minimize their rear ends through correct posture, and careful selection of clothing. OTOH, Nordic types tend to have small or relatively flat rears, so maybe that was the popular type for a certain era, and now it's changing.
You don't need to look farther than the simple fact that tastes change. The small chest/flat butt look was popular in the 1960s (think Twiggy and other top models of the era), and that was hardly a carryover of Puritanism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2017, 11:55 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Couple of things about this is:

1. Its an AD. An AD with an agenda specifically looking to promote/push women like that. There is nothing wrong with how she looks, its just that they SPECIFICALLY wanted and tried to push/promote/show her stretch marks.

2. My other problem with this is that they try to push what has traditionally been "non-sexy" or "non-beautiful" images to try to say "this is beautiful too". To me, its like taking someone who flunked out of 9th grade and trying to say they are just as intelligent and educated as someone in astrophysics.

For me, generally speaking, 40" hips is about the absolute maximum I will find attractive on a woman. But that will HAVE to be accompanied by a relatively small waist, flat stomach and round booty. Without the flat stomach/round booty it'll just be like a wide flat unattractive look.
well educated does not equate intelligent and intelligent does not equate well educated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Not to burst your bubble most of the "good" photos you linked are photoshopped LOL. When you scroll down at the link, you can see the range of "hips" here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=beau...ps,g_6:namitha

Actual women don't look like that.
LOL.... even I could see that and I am typically pretty oblivious.....

Old 02-19-2017, 01:06 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Her weight is given by various sources as 130 lbs., which is hard to believe for someone so tall. She's not THAT slim. My guess is that her weight varies a little but it's nowhere near 200 lbs. Someone that tall would still look slim at 150 lbs.
The average BMI for Olympic female athletes is 21.6, and Sharapova is 2 meters tall, so she probably tips the scales around 190 lbs. The mythology is that women are supposed to be these delicate little elfin flowers, but her official weight of 130 puts her at a BMI of 15, which is skeletal for her height and would have any doctor recommending hospitalization. I doubt she has weighed 150 lbs since she was 15 years old.

Old 02-19-2017, 03:47 PM

9,086 posts, read 6,311,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
The childless spinsters and gay men who run the fashion industry and brainwash women through fashion magazines and blogs just think they are gross.

Most men like them.
^^ This with one caveat. I don't think the 'childless spinsters' as you call them are as much of factor in this social phenomenon as you imply. It is mostly from the gay influence on Hollywood and the mainstream media. Count me as another man who prefers when women possess womanly hips. Large hips are the most important element that distinguishes women from boys. Boys can grow man-boobs if they consume an unhealthy diet but they will never grow large hips.

Old 02-19-2017, 06:53 PM

403 posts, read 363,741 times
i have the ruler body type.. wishing my hips were bigger!!!

Old 02-19-2017, 07:48 PM

630 posts, read 657,568 times
wide hips and curves are associated to fertility. The ability to grow such body was linked to a good diet and the wealth required to afford to eat well. Thinness was associated to poverty, malnourishment and bad health.

now the tables turned.. fat means poor diet based on cheap carbs and poor discipline. Thinness is associated to fitness, discipline, self control and good diet choices. (and the money to afford these choices)

Old 02-19-2017, 08:09 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times
My uncle warned me that once menopause set in my hips would double in size. It was a family gift. As a rather thin petite gal I fought it tooth and nail. lo' and true to course, my hips are obtrusively out of portion to my physique. 5 ft 2 inches, 112 lbs, and pear shaped where I once was not.
It's not okay with me..Yet its genetic and I just try to create the illusion it's less prevalent.

Old 02-19-2017, 08:56 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
Listen, my hips are what they are. I don't care. I'm half Brasilian and our culture isn't hung up on such things.

Old 02-19-2017, 08:57 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I know some cultures they are considered a feminine,but it seems like there are a large amount of American women that want small hips.

Why?

Every week or so i will get a comment from a woman that it must be hard to find pants or that dresses wont look right on me( when that is not the case).
I also heard some people say they look matronly.

That has been bothering me lately.

I also used to get comments when i was skinny that i was still fat even though i was normal BMI for my height.
Most women don't want FAT hips. "Big" is relative.

Old 02-19-2017, 09:07 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
if big butts are desirable ...maine is the promise-land
Fat, overweight rear ends are generally not attractive even though they are technically big. Big butts are rear ends that are rounded and shapely. Think Serena vs the people on My 600 lb Life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty