Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 07:00 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Button your shirt however you feel comfortable buttoning it. There's not a men's way and a women's way to button a shirt.

Typically the wristwatch is worn on the left wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
But if you're left-handed you can wear it on the right wrist so you're not always bumping it as you do stuff.

Buttoning a shirt from the bottom keeps you from getting your shirt buttoned unevenly--has nothing to do with gender.
That's why I always wear a watch on the right. And it is very easy to get the buttons misaligned, if you start fastening them from the top. But this is all trivial. The undoing of buttons, is much more important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 08:25 PM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Both socks first, then shoes. :-)

My late husband was very typical of men of his generation. He also believed men should always part their hair on the left side. Is that a thing?

Old 03-16-2017, 08:43 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
That's why I always wear a watch on the right. And it is very easy to get the buttons misaligned, if you start fastening them from the top. But this is all trivial. The undoing of buttons, is much more important.
Note that some button down shirts (including most of my IZOD button downs) have the bottommost buttonhole horizontal with a different colored thread. This can be used as a guide to prevent misbuttoning.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:44 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,018,997 times
I button from the top down, making sure that the right button goes into the right buttonhole. That's why they're called button-down shirts.

Old 03-17-2017, 12:26 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
32 year old male and I wear a watch. I'd say about 3/4 of my friends still wear a watch and own multiple. It's part accessory and part useful. I don't always want to pull my phone out just to check the time quick. Nor do I always want to take my phone out in the middle of the meeting to check the time. And, unfortunately, because of phones and computers etc being around, I end up in a lot of conference rooms where a wall clock is not hung up.

I agree it's not as important, but it's certainly far from rare these days.
I was curious, so I raised the question at the office potluck today. 23 of us sitting around the conference table, maybe 65% male, ages ranging from 24 to 53 ... only two people were wearing a watch, and one of them was really a fitness tracker that happened to have time on it.

Old 03-17-2017, 01:22 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
WHAT???

I've never heard of such a thing.

I start with the second button from the top. You would never button your top button unless you're wearing a tie, so even if I plan to put a tie on I want to have the buttons correct until I button the top one and add the tie.
I do this too. I like to leave the top button undone until I get out o f the car, then I button the otp button and put a tie on. I have to choke all day, why make it any longr than it needs to be

Old 03-26-2017, 12:20 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,875,202 times
I was buttoning my shirt just after reading this thread and realized I do it from the bottom-up for most shirts but top-down for dress shirts. It has something to do with leaving dress shirts untucked until absolutely necessary, because they look bad when the fabric isn't perfectly smooth within the waistband.

Old 03-26-2017, 12:37 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Good lord folks. All this about which way to button and you forgot the most important part. Does the toilet paper go over the front or the back? How can we even think about getting dressed when there's the toilet paper issue hanging over our heads.

Seriously though, my MIL would have an absolute freak fit if someone put the toilet paper forward over the top. She couldn't stand it so much she'd check all the bathrooms and turn it if she found one that way. And then we'd get at least two lectures during dinner about the proper way to role toilet paper.

Old 03-26-2017, 01:04 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
But if you're left-handed you can wear it on the right wrist so you're not always bumping it as you do stuff.

Buttoning a shirt from the bottom keeps you from getting your shirt buttoned unevenly--has nothing to do with gender.
Exactly. If you wear your watch on the non dominate wrist, you are much less likely to damage it.

I always button from the top down and I don't know why, I just do.

One thing I just thought of.....when you are trying on blouses in a store, most of the time you can tell half way down if you like the way it looks or not and don't have to bother buttoning all the way to the bottom. It would be kind of hard to tell just buttoning half way up from the bottom.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:43 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
The OP has to be a woman - it's inconsequential. Such trivial thoughts like "which way should I button my shirt" does not enter men's thoughts although mysteriously it might be an important topic to a woman.
It sounds like a question an insecure man would ask because he doesn't want people to think he's a sissy for buttoning his shirt wrong. A woman would not care if people thought she was buttoning her shirt "like a man".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty