Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 06:10 AM

7,682 posts, read 1,268,047 times

Advertisements

Not only did I wear green, I decided that this March was the Month of Green and have worn green everyday since March 1. I'm about to go out the door to work and I have on a green tank top underneath a black sweater, a green bracelet and earrings.

This year I got an invitation to go to the NYC's St. Paddy's day parade. We did not see much of it because most of the side streets to 5th Ave were barricaded preventing access. NYC looked like Buffalo after the Blizzard of '77--snow everywhere making it difficult to walk and impossible to park...

We got back to our hotel in Queens only to discover that my car was missing--towed to an impound lot in Flushing. $185 (to get the car) + 1 parking ticket later I had had enough. I think we'll be going to Boston or Savannah next year instead--or just stay home and celebrate in beautiful downtown Hartford....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 07:26 AM

88,416 posts, read 84,484,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Absolutely not. I'm not Irish and I'm not catholic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I'm not Irish either, but I have seen a lot of non-Irish people wear green on St. Patrick's Day.
Neither am I, but how many people celebrate St. Patrick's Day and aren't Irish or Catholic? LOL, probably more than ARE.

I usually wear green because it's my favorite color and it's a good excuse, but I completely forgot about it this year.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:28 AM

88,416 posts, read 84,484,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Nightsong View Post
Nope. I wore tan and black.
I'm not Irish nor Catholic
Yeah, Guinness and Bass rocks!

Old 03-21-2017, 07:36 AM

15,210 posts, read 10,267,192 times
Everybody is Irish on St. Paddy's Day! :-)

I'm Italian but I always wear green on St. Patrick's Day AND I make corned beef & cabbage.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:43 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,363,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
Not only did I wear green, I decided that this March was the Month of Green and have worn green everyday since March 1. I'm about to go out the door to work and I have on a green tank top underneath a black sweater, a green bracelet and earrings.

This year I got an invitation to go to the NYC's St. Paddy's day parade. We did not see much of it because most of the side streets to 5th Ave were barricaded preventing access. NYC looked like Buffalo after the Blizzard of '77--snow everywhere making it difficult to walk and impossible to park...

We got back to our hotel in Queens only to discover that my car was missing--towed to an impound lot in Flushing. $185 (to get the car) + 1 parking ticket later I had had enough. I think we'll be going to Boston or Savannah next year instead--or just stay home and celebrate in beautiful downtown Hartford....
I love this! I don't think I have enough items of any one color to do a whole month but I'm sure I could do a week. My problem is I like variety so I might get bored. But, I like the idea. I wonder if anyone will noticed or has noticed.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:48 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,254,822 times
No, I didn't.

I do love green though, makes my eyes pop.

Old 03-21-2017, 08:24 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,869,059 times
When my young Ukrainian cousins were kids, I sent them "Irish for a Day" pins for St Patrick's Day. They joined our family by adoption and had been home about a year then. I spoke with them recently, but forgot to ask if they still wear those pins, now that they're college-age!

I wonder if the pinching thing is regional - as noted earlier, I've always worn green on March 17 and have Irish background on both sides of my family, but never heard of pinching those who fail to wear green until a couple of decades ago. I was in elementary school in the 1950s, and no one got pinched or was threatened with pinching then (and believe me, if this custom were known then, there were plenty of probable pinchers in my school).

I grew up in Central Kentucky - for those of you who are around my age, where did you grow up and when did you first encounter the pinching custom?

BTW, I proudly wear my green but abstain from booze of all kinds, Irish or not.

Old 03-21-2017, 08:53 AM

8,876 posts, read 13,888,447 times
I wore green. I wouldn't have gone out of my way to wear green, but it was in my closet and no big deal to don the color for that day.

If I didn't have green in my closet, I wouldn't have gone out of my way to wear green.

Yes, I am part Irish and Catholic.

And yes, pinching is a real thing and it's meant in fun and as a playful pinch so as not to hurt the other person. But, of course these days some people have to ruin everything.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:30 AM

343 posts, read 315,780 times
I wore green, even bought me a green plaid skirt just because. I wonder why most people don't wear orange or white (if either apply)...it would be interesting to wear all three colors. Hm...i might do that next year!

Old 03-21-2017, 10:36 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,587,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I was wondering, did you wear green this past St. Patrick's Day?

I wore my Absinthe Green IZOD Advantage Polo. I really don't have a lot of green clothes, so I think this was the perfect choice.
Nope. St Patrick's Day isn't about green, beer, or corned beef.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty