Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 01:43 PM

326 posts, read 200,597 times

Advertisements

Since I often buy same brand and size bra, I have a drawer with bras that have one underwire broken in each. I plan replacing broken one with an unbroken of another one. It's been top of my to do list for a few years. In the meantime I pull out broken wire and wear lopsided on days off around the house.
I often find Warhol bras at Nordstrom rack in odd ball colors for cheaper. Don't care what color I wear since I don't wear white shirts due to my coffee drip habit, and being big busted, I hate the way it looks (bulging back fat )when I wear a proper fitting bra. Band has to be snug to keep from riding up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2017, 02:05 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Exactly. What us chesty gals do is assume that regular bras in the store will fit us, so we keep going up on the band instead of the cup so the bra doesn't support well enough. It ends up being too loose all over, and we wear them like that so long we think we're wearing the right size. I did that until I was 37 years old and I finally went up so high on the band size I couldn't go up any more. I'm only a little overweight, hadn't gained any weight, so what the heck was the problem? So I went to a specialty lingerie store and the bra fitter looked at my boobs and instantly pronounced me a 34H instead of the 38DD I had been wearing. She didn't even use the measuring tape. The new bras work much better.
I had the same experience. I was trying to wear 42DD and ended up in 38F. Then my weight changed a bit and I dropped in band and went up in cup. Now I know weight changes for me result in keeping the same volume and wearing sister sizes in different bands. I'm also 34h most of the time at the moment. My rib cage is pretty narrow so while I'm overweight I wear smaller band than other people my size. So there is a lot of variance.

Old 03-25-2017, 02:28 PM

473 posts, read 307,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Laughing with you, not at you.
Have you tried Sports bras? They're amazing.
I havent found good sports bras.

If you really want to laugh here is what happened when I started to fix my bra a few weeks ago:

I started at late evening because I thought I just sew this extra piece fast by hands. I settled the needles on their places (on the side which comes to skin) and started to sew. It was late already then and I had to go to sleep. I left my bra above others.

At morning I took a shower before school and wore bras, went school, got insane amount of homeworks, made them till the bed time and went into bed. After a while I wondered why I am hurting so much?

I carefully made some investigate and ouch, settled my finger to one needle inside my bra..

How on the Earth I picked a bra with needles? (=without lights at dark morning)

It is amazing how I survived the whole day by wearing a needle bra without knowing it.

That is one of those moments... How ever that even can happen really?

I was thankful I did not fall or anything because I am not into needle-piercings.

Old 03-25-2017, 03:52 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,669,164 times
My questions would be:

Are you sure you really need underwire? I know women who wear them who needn't.

Why do you refuse to hand-wash your bras? It's not like there's something disgusting about them.

I guess my only suggestion would be to avoid buying crap like Victoria's Secret where the bras are meant to self-destruct, and buy utilitarian, non-pretty ones, maybe Playtex

Old 03-25-2017, 08:51 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,725,072 times
Thanks for the feedback....
I think I am going get refitted and fix the ones that broke.
Re hand washing....not worth the effort. I would rather but more bras.
Re underwire I ....100% need it. Not interested in walking around with my breast bouching around .

Old 03-26-2017, 05:42 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
I don't know, but I rarely wash my bras. When I do, I hook all the hooks and put them in a mesh bag, then air dry them.

Old 03-26-2017, 06:26 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,646,355 times
There are times I am so happy to not be well-endowed. I wear the one piece stretchy bras, sort of like a light sports bra.

Old 03-27-2017, 06:57 AM

10,754 posts, read 4,344,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
My questions would be:

Are you sure you really need underwire? I know women who wear them who needn't.

Why do you refuse to hand-wash your bras? It's not like there's something disgusting about them.

I guess my only suggestion would be to avoid buying crap like Victoria's Secret where the bras are meant to self-destruct, and buy utilitarian, non-pretty ones, maybe Playtex
What do you mean when you say self-destruct?

Old 03-27-2017, 07:08 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,646,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitemsohard View Post
What do you mean when you say self-destruct?
Lacy, cute bras fall apart in a few months, that's what she means.

Back in the day when I was overweight and needed literally boulder holders Playtex as a great brand for those more well endowed.

God bless breast reduction surgery!

Old 03-27-2017, 07:41 AM

473 posts, read 502,232 times
Better to put bras in lingerie bag or pillowcase tied with rubber band to wash using cold water and gentle cycle. Then hang in shower over plastic hanger. Could switch to sports bras or braless in evening.

January/Febuary and June are good time to shop for lingerie. Vicky's Secret also has their semi-annual sales during this time...

I did okay buying Lane Bryant bras for many years as I'm a bit too big for VS. I had one white or flesh colored bra and rest was whatever was on the sale rack....I'm a D cup. There is a HUGE difference in cheap and mid-level priced bras that was really obvious and obnoxious big chested...End up sagging earlier for being cheap.

The 3/$15 Walmart sports bras are okay for evenings alone or exercise/house cleaning. I think you are less likely to pop wires if you don't do physical activity wearing underwires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty