Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 08:03 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times

Advertisements

5 and dropping. I probably cared most about "fashion" in my 20s when it was "important" to look good going out. A wide range of clothing choices was never that available to me, however, because of my height, so I tried to make do with what was available and what could be worn by someone like me. I knew a woman almost as tall as me who dressed in cutesy things that petite girls wore, and she reminded me of Baby Huey. I never wanted to look like that!

Most of my interest in fashion came later in the business world. I learned that dressing in business clothes--a jacket, at least, or a suit with a skirt or slacks, got women taken more seriously, and the tailored look was something I COULD wear and I was able to find clothing like that in tall sizes through catalogs and later online. I learned to dress up the business clothing with scarves and other accessories, and it was nice to go to work knowing I looked put together.

Now I'm mostly retired, and it's usually leggings and long tops/sweaters. Comfort drives my fashion choices now. However, I will not go out to a store or anything in my plaid jammie bottoms, as some people do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 06:17 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,643,419 times
6 - I'm fortunate to have a good figure, so I love form-fitting shirts and jeans and classic shirts and slacks.

Just don't ask me to buy patterns. I'm afraid I'll pick one that looks old. So I wear a lot of solid colors. My husband says my fashion is completely boring. I don't blame him.

I also buy things that are cheap and am not willing to spend money on fashion. My MIL, on the other hand, has a great fashion sense, but she's willing to buy expensive clothes at Macy's, which I'm not.

I absolutely hate sweatshirts and hoodies when going out because they are wide and shapeless and I'm not college student. I hate flip flops because they look like slippers. I love ballet flats and riding boots.

Old 03-28-2017, 09:28 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,506,112 times
Somewhere between a 4 and a 5. If you consider fashion to be trendy clothing and knowing and wearing the latest trends, I'm about a 1.5. If you're talking about wanting to dress in a way that flatters my body and looks good, I'm more like a 6 or 7 (and have no idea whether it's currently popular or not).

Old 03-29-2017, 08:02 PM

25,441 posts, read 9,800,380 times
I'm not a fashionista. At all. I get all my clothes at the thrift store, except underwear. I have one purse, a smaller black purse that I got from Walmart (that I love, BTW) that holds everything I need it to. I'm pretty much a minimalist -- not burlap sack, but . . .

Old 04-02-2017, 09:59 PM

219 posts, read 162,950 times
I would put myself in the middle at a 5. I care what the trends are a little bit but at the same time I'm going to wear what I like and looks decent on me.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:50 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,690,496 times
7- I care about what I look like and how I appear, but I'm not obsessive, rather I'm conscious.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:33 AM

1,768 posts, read 1,637,813 times
8/10

I care about how I look.

I care about high fashion, meaning the brands, runways shows, retailers, etc.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:35 AM

1,768 posts, read 1,637,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
5 and dropping. I probably cared most about "fashion" in my 20s when it was "important" to look good going out. A wide range of clothing choices was never that available to me, however, because of my height, so I tried to make do with what was available and what could be worn by someone like me. I knew a woman almost as tall as me who dressed in cutesy things that petite girls wore, and she reminded me of Baby Huey. I never wanted to look like that!

Most of my interest in fashion came later in the business world. I learned that dressing in business clothes--a jacket, at least, or a suit with a skirt or slacks, got women taken more seriously, and the tailored look was something I COULD wear and I was able to find clothing like that in tall sizes through catalogs and later online. I learned to dress up the business clothing with scarves and other accessories, and it was nice to go to work knowing I looked put together.

Now I'm mostly retired, and it's usually leggings and long tops/sweaters. Comfort drives my fashion choices now. However, I will not go out to a store or anything in my plaid jammie bottoms, as some people do.

Depends on the industry and geographic location. If you came to Google (my former employer) like that, I'd think you lacked intelligence.

Old 04-06-2017, 12:18 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
About a three.

I like to look put together and have a "look" that suits me, but following popular trends is not an interest of mine. I care absolutely nothing about high fashion, labels, designers, etc.

Old 04-06-2017, 05:54 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,684,039 times
Somewhere between 0 and 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty