Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 12:18 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,004,259 times

Advertisements

I need skin care and makeup recommendations. I've always had great skin. Clear and smooth. I just turned 51 and feel as if overnight my pores have become large. The texture isn't smooth. My colouring in uneven. It's dry. My make up absorbs by noon. Gets caught in my pores and lines. I stopped wearing eye makeup all together. I've always had sensitive skin and can't tolerate frangeance in anything I use. Now suddenly I feel like that has also gotten worse. After giving my skin a rest from anything for ten days I wore foundation out yesterday and my eyes watered from the moment I put it on and continued the rest of the day. I'm at a loss. I obviously need new skin care as well as makeup but don't know where to begin. Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 12:47 PM

551 posts, read 1,573,626 times
I will be 51 this year.
About 5 years ago I switched to all chemical free products. Most cosmetics and personal care products contain them. I read the books entitled " Gorgeously Green " by Sophie Uliano. That was a good start for finding chemical free products. I tried many of them. Many companies have trial sizes that you can try to see if you and your skin like something. I also bought a book where they give you recipes for making your own face products. Some of these are easy recipes. For instance the toner that I make is only distilled water and Bragg's apple cider vinegar. The toner helps with my uneven skin tone and I love it! Some of the name brands that are my favorite now after reading the above mentioned books are:

Simply Divine Botanicals - Creme de la rose (or something similar to that; cannot remember the exact name for it) This is a moisturizer that smells heavenly and helps my skin stay nice and soft. I also use their "pack my bags I'm leaving" for my undereye circles. This company is mentioned in the above books.

I use Face Naturals and Alfaffia for shampoos and face wash, Sally B's for serum and lipsticks. I use Kiss my Face olive oil soap in the shower.

I use Rejuva Minerals for much of my make-up. A little more expensive but worth it. When you go to the website they even have an option where you can take a photo of your clean face and they will recommend certain products for you. I use their powders, foundation.

My primer is Super Goop CC Cream. This one has lasted me over a year already.

Use the website EWG or Skin Deep for finding cosmetics. They are rated by how good they are for the skin/hair etc. O is the best rating, 0-2 is generally considered OK. They even have an app that will scan beauty products and give them a score when you are shopping. Beware many store bought brands of make-up are rated high. I have found 1 store bought foundation that I liked and than they discontinued it.

Whole Foods carries some of the more popular brands of organic skin care. Sprouts has some as well. But most everything I buy is online now.

I just discovered a new website and just ordered from it in the last two months. They have some beautiful mineral color blushes and eye shadows but I cannot remember the name of it. They also had sample sizes that were nice to try their products.

I am rambling on but that is what I would suggest. I feel like my skin has never looked better. So I would try these options first! Good luck!

Old 03-23-2017, 02:02 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,428,248 times
I'm 64 and don't wear makeup, so I can't help there. But for general sensitive skin care:

I wash my face with baking soda. It's a very gentle exfoliant that leaves skin soft and very clean feeling.

Toner is unfiltered apple cider vinegar (with the mother). Some folks dilute it with water, but I don't feel the need.

Melaleuca Age-Defying Serum (Olay is a good substitute) over entire face and neck.

SPF 25 or higher sunscreen over that for daytime (no real brand preference here).

That's it, except for the occasional moisturizing mask (trying various brands, no preference yet).

I have tried and quite liked DHC's Deep Cleansing Oil as a general facial cleanser, to which I added baking soda. Most of their lines are available as samples. The Japanese Skincare and Makeup Experts | DHC

One thing I'd recommend is to avoid the really heavy creams and lotions, even at night, unless you live in the desert. I found them way too heavy for my semi-arid climate -- skin felt greasy, heavy, and just unpleasant.

My regimen is working for me--face does not look my age.

Let us know what works for you.

Old 03-23-2017, 02:44 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
I don't know what to tell you about coarsening of skin; my chin is going that way and I have no idea what to do about it. Maybe a mask? I hope someone here recommends a good one.

I am 70. People tell me I have good skin. I have been asked why I don't have wrinkles! (Actually I do have them.) Here is what I do:

Cleanse with CeraVe moisturizing cleanser. I use warm water and a soft cotton washcloth. I use a clean washcloth every night.

Moisturize with CeraVe a.m. and p.m. moisturizers, morning and night and after every shower.

I use CeraVe eye care cream morning and night.

You can buy CeraVe products in any drugstore. They seem expensive, but if you price comparable products at Ulta or Sephora, you will see they are much less expensive than designer brands. I am told that CeraVe products are recommended by dermtologists.

For makeup, I generally use Revlon products for makeup and other coverage issues because I have never found better matches for my skin with any other brand. Many brands seem to have gray or yellow undertones that don't match to my peachier skin tone. For the last 2-3 years I've been using Revlon's BB cream alone, and I've liked it fine. I am now experimenting with one of their makeup lines, and I am deciding if I like it. I compared the color to a comparable Loreal and decided the Revlon was less yellow.

I think for our older skin, we need lighter weight makeup, if we use makeup. I also think that we need to consistently moisturize. But I don't like toner, or anything with any alcohol in it. My skin does not like any sort of drying ingredient.

I do use a little blush as well, and mascara. I no longer use eye shadow and rarely do I use liner. If you watch Cindy Jacob's video about her products, she will tell you to dispense with eye makeup, as it doesn't work for most of us older women.

I am seeing posts about only using "natural" product, or not using products with "chemicals" in them. I don't know that the latter statement even means. Everything we put on our face is a sort of chemical, unless you use plain water, which is also a chemical, strictly speaking. When ever I've used "natural" products, I've gotten a reaction. I stick with products that have some research behind them, and that are beneficial. I do like CeraVe products, and can give them a strong recommendation.

Old 03-23-2017, 06:04 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,299,568 times
My skin is super dry and sensitive. When I put moisturizer on in the morning I have to let it soak in, then apply a 2nd layer. I use Oil of Olay fragrance free regenerating serum, then e.l.f. primer, then my favorite foundation: Cover Girl CG Smoothers which is hydrating. I use Simple cleansing facial wipes at night, then witch hazel for toner and at night Olay Regenerist night resurfacing elixir.

Never had any problems with any of these but I have to be careful with heavy, greasy moisturizers.

Old 03-24-2017, 01:02 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,428,248 times
My 92-year-old Mom washes her face twice a day with Mary Kay products. She uses a clean wash cloth each time.

Then she uses unfiltered apple cider vinegar for a toner, and Mary Kay moisturizer and sunscreen.

Sometimes she uses baking soda as an exfoliant.

She looks marvelous, and no one believes her age.

I'm grateful to have her genes...

Old 03-24-2017, 01:48 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,345,505 times
I am in serious need of an under eye concealer or some sort of dark circle remedy.

Any suggestions would be very welcomed.

Old 03-24-2017, 07:55 PM

342 posts, read 437,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
I am in serious need of an under eye concealer or some sort of dark circle remedy.

Any suggestions would be very welcomed.
I use Anti-Cernes Multi-Action Concealer by YSL for many years. It conceals under eyes very well and stays all day long. It comes I think in 4 different shades, I use the lightest #1. Expensive but I did not find anything that comes close to quality but cheaper. I apply it directly on skin and then use flat small and bit moist brush to blend into skin.

Old 03-24-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkay66 View Post
My 92-year-old Mom washes her face twice a day with Mary Kay products. She uses a clean wash cloth each time.

Then she uses unfiltered apple cider vinegar for a toner, and Mary Kay moisturizer and sunscreen.

Sometimes she uses baking soda as an exfoliant.

She looks marvelous, and no one believes her age.

I'm grateful to have her genes...
I'm allergic to Mary Kay. I've tried it and it was a no go for me

Old 03-24-2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
My skin is super dry and sensitive. When I put moisturizer on in the morning I have to let it soak in, then apply a 2nd layer. I use Oil of Olay fragrance free regenerating serum, then e.l.f. primer, then my favorite foundation: Cover Girl CG Smoothers which is hydrating. I use Simple cleansing facial wipes at night, then witch hazel for toner and at night Olay Regenerist night resurfacing elixir.

Never had any problems with any of these but I have to be careful with heavy, greasy moisturizers.
Allergic go Oil Of Olay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty