Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 08:10 PM

2,911 posts, read 2,022,303 times

Advertisements

While reading another post titled How Much Does Fashion Matter To You, I thought about a question that always was stuck in the back of my mind. Do women dress more to impress other women around them, or more for the opposite sex? Now I already know a vast majority of women (or people in general) will say "I don't dress to impress anyone", but I'm looking more for the insights of others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2017, 08:41 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,248,491 times
Ultimately, I dress for my pleasure...however, if it makes certain men happy as well, then that's just the cherry on top.

Old 03-26-2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen963 View Post
Ultimately, I dress for my pleasure...however, if it makes certain men happy as well, then that's just the cherry on top.
Thanks for your honesty!

Old 03-26-2017, 08:44 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,037,566 times
I dress for my own comfort and if someone else does not like what I am wearing it is their issue alone and I do not care about anyone else's opinion of anything about me.

Old 03-26-2017, 08:48 PM

15,199 posts, read 10,202,163 times
I dress so I am pleased with the way I look in the mirror.

Old 03-26-2017, 10:57 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,167,917 times
I dress in what I think makes me look nice. But if we bring other people into it, then I care more about what men I would be attracted to would / may think. Everyone else's opinion is just about moot.

Old 03-26-2017, 11:29 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,831,206 times
I don't wear form-fitting, tight and stretchy or low cut clothes. I don't like that kind of extra attention from men. I do like it when a coworker of some other woman tells me: "You're always dressed nice" or "I like your shoes/skirt/sweater where'd you get that?"

So unless it were my s/o, I guess I dress for women.

Old 03-26-2017, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
I don't wear form-fitting, tight and stretchy or low cut clothes. I don't like that kind of extra attention from men. I do like it when a coworker of some other woman tells me: "You're always dressed nice" or "I like your shoes/skirt/sweater where'd you get that?"

So unless it were my s/o, I guess I dress for women.
Good, clean, honest answer! Thanks.

Old 03-26-2017, 11:53 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,515,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
While reading another post titled How Much Does Fashion Matter To You, I thought about a question that always was stuck in the back of my mind. Do women dress more to impress other women around them, or more for the opposite sex? Now I already know a vast majority of women (or people in general) will say "I don't dress to impress anyone", but I'm looking more for the insights of others.
As a woman, I have always dressed for myself and for the occasion. I try to dress the most flattering way for my best features and for my figure, and try to be appropriate for the occasion.

I can't even grasp the concept of dressing for other people. I'm not sure what that means. You mean like dressing with a low cut top for a date, to try to look sexy for males? Or a high cut expensive top for a date, so other women I see when out will like it, as opposed to males?

I suppose I figure if I dress in a way that's most flattering to me, it will also simultaneously be noticed or appreciated by both males and females. I mean, if it's flattering to me, men will appreciate it, right? And women will notice and appreciate the clothing or me, too, right?

Example: I got a great new winter coat a couple of years ago. It's ankle length, wool, double breasted, a flattering cut. Why wouldn't a man appreciate that coat, as well as a woman? If they even care. As long as it looks good on ME, everyone will notice that I look nice, right? If they care, that is.

Old 03-27-2017, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
As a woman, I have always dressed for myself and for the occasion. I try to dress the most flattering way for my best features and for my figure, and try to be appropriate for the occasion.

I can't even grasp the concept of dressing for other people. I'm not sure what that means. You mean like dressing with a low cut top for a date, to try to look sexy for males? Or a high cut expensive top for a date, so other women I see when out will like it, as opposed to males?

I suppose I figure if I dress in a way that's most flattering to me, it will also simultaneously be noticed or appreciated by both males and females. I mean, if it's flattering to me, men will appreciate it, right? And women will notice and appreciate the clothing or me, too, right?

Example: I got a great new winter coat a couple of years ago. It's ankle length, wool, double breasted, a flattering cut. Why wouldn't a man appreciate that coat, as well as a woman? If they even care. As long as it looks good on ME, everyone will notice that I look nice, right? If they care, that is.
I think any man with two working eyeballs will notice anything flattering on a woman, but it probably comes down to if they compliment her on it, will it be taken as "flirting or making a pass", or if another woman compliments her on it will it be considered a "pure unadulterated compliment"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty