Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 09:02 AM

87 posts, read 126,449 times

Advertisements

People forget the reason why these bags are popular in Europe and the east coast is because most people walk, or take public transportation. So it's useful to have a little bag to carry extra stuff, and some folks don't want to look like 8th graders with backpacks.

But in Houston? I have no reason to carry a bag as a dude, we drive everywhere so if I am not in my car all I carry is my wallet, phone, keys, and maybe a pack of gum and I've got 4 pockets on my jeans for that.

As other's have said, do what you like, if it works for you who cares what other folks think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 09:25 AM

112 posts, read 432,660 times
I have traveled around quite often and I see a lot of guys wearing tote bags in New York, LA, Europe and especially all over Asia. It seems quite normal. But I'm not wearing one just to be cool. I do find them very functional and stylish at the same time. When I go out with me I usually carry my keys, wallet, sunglasses, hat, water bottle, mints, vape mod, and phone. There's no way I'm going to be able to stuff all this stuff in my pockets. I'm definitely not going to wear no cargo shorts or backpack either. It's just so much easier to throw everything into a tote bag and be on the go. But it's good to hear other's people opinions on here as well.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:29 AM

171 posts, read 246,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parisby View Post
I notice there seem to be a lot of close minded "macho" rednecks here
Seems there is name calling on both sides of the man purse debate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOrDead_YNWA View Post
some folks don't want to look like 8th graders with backpacks.
I am in this 8th grader category...easiest way for me to carry my laptop, so I go with it. I may have heard a few comments, but who cares? Do you, bro!

Old 03-27-2017, 09:36 AM

4,608 posts, read 3,301,434 times
My husband started wearing a cross shoulder bag years ago, and after leaving it in a few hundred places, he is now really attached to it (figuratively, not literally . It holds all the junk that used to bulge out his pockets and be pickpocket lures when traveling, provides room for his book while commuting or traveling, tablet if wanted, etc.etc. In the larger cities most men seem to use them now, and everyone from Nordstrom on down carries them.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:16 AM

509 posts, read 735,536 times
This is why we have brief cases.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:18 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,298,228 times
You might have heard, when in Rome do.....
If you are bothered to stand out and worry what others might think about you then you should just try to blend in with rest of the people. Have seen guys in Europe wear those skin tight jeans and speedos at the beach. You don't see men wearing that stuff here that often in public.

I personally find Totes to be functional but for now I am ok with my Hartmann briefcase/compartment bag

Old 03-27-2017, 10:30 AM

112 posts, read 432,660 times
Briefcase? I think those are more suited for office and work. But for casual times when you just need to go out shopping or to the store or just walking around, then I think a tote bag works and looks the best.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:36 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
I don't even know many of us women that call it a "tote bag".

Old 03-27-2017, 10:39 AM

171 posts, read 246,233 times
Sounds like OP is about to start selling us these things. All this fashion AND convenience can be yours for $900...also belt and shoes to match for additional cost.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:46 AM

814 posts, read 760,231 times
It looks a lot better slung over the shoulder.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tote...JfzOHtse-qGKM:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty