Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 03:24 AM

4,608 posts, read 3,301,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongShoes View Post
I'm terrible at finding things I feel comfortable in, so, on the rare occasion I do manage to, I usually buy it in multiples so I have a back-up once the first item starts to get worn out. Can make for a limited wardrobe, but works for me
But how do you know these things are going to work until you've worn them? (And by then, either I forgot where I got it, the store is out of it, or they changed their line and don't sell that thing anymore).

I'm a terrible shopper anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2017, 06:38 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
Like a few others that posted I am a petite, and it's very difficult to find dressy clothes.

My everyday jeans and tees are fine for the most part. I think I have Eddie Bauer long and short sleeve tee's in every color available. They fit me well. Jeans are a bit trickier. I look for a new pair whenever I'm out. I found a pair of Levis at Walmart that fit well, were a good length, and a good color. I've worn them out and of course they are no longer available. Now I'm back on the hunt. If I want something different to go out for a "date" with my husband it's hard to find shirts and tops that fit well.

Dresses, which I like to wear in the summer, are nearly impossible. They need to have some sort of stretch for the top to fit properly. Simple cotton dresses never fit correctly on my petite body. Finding a petite dress that is cute and not too pricey--not easy. If I see something I like, no matter where it is, I try it on. For everyday wear I'm not generally going to pay for alterations.

For the past few months I've been looking for dresses for an upcoming wedding and for my daughter's fall wedding. Finally found a pretty wrap dress in a navy print at Banana Republic for the first wedding. It still needs a few adjustments though.

I've been scouring the net for a dress for daughter's wedding. I've been in person to 3 different department stores. Very few petites available. Those that are available are often black or navy. I do not want to wear black or navy for her wedding. The "mother of the bride" dresses that are made to order generally are not available in petites. While I can have it altered the zippers are often 4-6 inches too long. I know that can be changed also, but I can't really see how it looks if I can't properly try it on. I'm ready to have something made for me. I've looked at dress patterns though and can't find one that I like.

For the last month I've been looking for a pair of simple navy blue pumps. One would think that would be easy. Found one pair in the clearance section at Macy's. They were sling backs which never fit correctly. I bought them anyway. Walked around a bit at home and took them back. Perhaps I'm just being cheap about it since I'll only wear them once or twice.

Old 05-01-2017, 06:43 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Find a brand that works for you and has the kind of quality you're looking for, and stick to that brand whenever possible.
This is exactly what I do. They are stores like Lands End, Eddie Bauer and JJill. I need tall pants, and dresses, but not tops, so I can get most outfits to fit, and it is of good quality. I don't go to stores much, at all, because I can walk around all day, and have nothing to show for it.

I also lead a very casual lifestyle now, so can wear practically the same "uniform" every day. This usually means the "active cropped pant" from Lands End. Perfection in comfort, and support. They never get baggy. Unless it is super hot, I wear them every day.

Old 05-01-2017, 08:52 AM

15,144 posts, read 27,785,743 times
Have you looked for a dress here? (I didn't look but they used to have dressier dresses in petite that were pretty nice looking) https://www.chadwicks.com/home.do?ut...2520-%2520Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Like a few others that posted I am a petite, and it's very difficult to find dressy clothes.

My everyday jeans and tees are fine for the most part. I think I have Eddie Bauer long and short sleeve tee's in every color available. They fit me well. Jeans are a bit trickier. I look for a new pair whenever I'm out. I found a pair of Levis at Walmart that fit well, were a good length, and a good color. I've worn them out and of course they are no longer available. Now I'm back on the hunt. If I want something different to go out for a "date" with my husband it's hard to find shirts and tops that fit well.

Dresses, which I like to wear in the summer, are nearly impossible. They need to have some sort of stretch for the top to fit properly. Simple cotton dresses never fit correctly on my petite body. Finding a petite dress that is cute and not too pricey--not easy. If I see something I like, no matter where it is, I try it on. For everyday wear I'm not generally going to pay for alterations.

For the past few months I've been looking for dresses for an upcoming wedding and for my daughter's fall wedding. Finally found a pretty wrap dress in a navy print at Banana Republic for the first wedding. It still needs a few adjustments though.

I've been scouring the net for a dress for daughter's wedding. I've been in person to 3 different department stores. Very few petites available. Those that are available are often black or navy. I do not want to wear black or navy for her wedding. The "mother of the bride" dresses that are made to order generally are not available in petites. While I can have it altered the zippers are often 4-6 inches too long. I know that can be changed also, but I can't really see how it looks if I can't properly try it on. I'm ready to have something made for me. I've looked at dress patterns though and can't find one that I like.

For the last month I've been looking for a pair of simple navy blue pumps. One would think that would be easy. Found one pair in the clearance section at Macy's. They were sling backs which never fit correctly. I bought them anyway. Walked around a bit at home and took them back. Perhaps I'm just being cheap about it since I'll only wear them once or twice.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:28 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post

Try eshakti.com. They take a few weeks to ship but you can customize the length and other for elements of every piece or even get something made for your measurements for a small upcharge.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:29 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
I have a lot of trouble especially as I have wanted to prioritize sustainable manufacturing or made in the USA stuff. The options are either ugly, boring or not in my size.

Old 05-01-2017, 11:43 AM

951 posts, read 1,140,635 times
No, not when I'm in shape. I have the opposite problem - there's too many clothes that I like because most of them look good on me.

Now when I was out of shape...it wasn't very fun to shop for clothes. I'm also petite too, but it's not so much the height that's an issue, but the shape of one's body.

Old 05-01-2017, 11:43 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
The cut of the shirt or pants are weird (can be fixed by alterations, most of the time), the fabric is not what you want, the color you want isn't available at all, you can't find the right shoes etc. Even in the expanse of the Internet and online shopping, it appears that choice is limited and customizing isn't available.
Do you just throw your hands up and leave the house looking terrible? How do you compromise, or improvise, when you can't dress as well as you'd like to? Is there a secret to clothes shopping that I'm not aware of?
Sometimes you have to wait a couple of seasons (or a few years! ) for current unflattering trends to pass. Sometimes the solution is to give up on finding budget-priced items, and bite the bullet to spend more, for certain fundamental pieces, like a good pair of pants for work. Scouring higher-end dept. stores online for sale items can keep the cost more reasonable. Very time-consuming, but can yield rewards.

Old 05-01-2017, 03:43 PM

1,831 posts, read 1,431,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
The reason why I thought of this topic: there's a pair of pants that I like, but the color selection for the specific make of pants is really strange. Their "blue" is more like purple, which is not what I want. You can resize clothes, but I don't know how to change the color of clothing (or how to make it look good at least).

Maybe I need to take up sewing/altering. My ex girlfriend was good at sewing, so I never bothered to learn at that time.
If the fabric is natural, you can buy RIT dye and change the color. If it's synthetic fabric, doesn't work so well.

Might be a good idea for you to take up sewing. Every sewing machine sales store has sewing classes, both separate and as a part of a particular machine's sale.

Then you can choose your own fabrics, colors, and fit.

Good luck.

Old 05-01-2017, 06:05 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
This is exactly what I do. They are stores like Lands End, Eddie Bauer and JJill. I need tall pants, and dresses, but not tops, so I can get most outfits to fit, and it is of good quality. I don't go to stores much, at all, because I can walk around all day, and have nothing to show for it.

I also lead a very casual lifestyle now, so can wear practically the same "uniform" every day. This usually means the "active cropped pant" from Lands End. Perfection in comfort, and support. They never get baggy. Unless it is super hot, I wear them every day.
oh - Eddie Bauer and JJill - my two favorite stores. I just ordered new tops and shorts from EB - 40% off and free shipping!

I used to like cotton fabric clothing and then I started wearing JJill stuff. It is so soft and comfy - no ironing needed. The only cotton I have is jeans

Eddie Bauer boyfriend jeans - love them. Even feel comfortable enough to wear during our hot summers.

And yes if I love something, I buy several - even the same color. We laugh because most of the time, I am dressed head to toe in EB - since it is more casual. Shoes, socks, etc.

I go into regular stores and see nothing I like. I try - but no
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty