Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 05:45 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,760,415 times

Advertisements

Basically, I have a small, white, and not-too-noticeable scar on my right hand due to my cutting myself with a knife out of anger back when I was 14 years old (for the record, I am currently 24 years old).

Anyway, though, I was wondering if using a dermaroller would make this scar go away. Specifically, I want the white color of this scar to become slightly darker (in other words, to become a tan white color) so that it matches the color of my arm.

What are your thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2017, 01:04 AM

37,426 posts, read 45,623,586 times
I think you still need a therapist.

It's a scar, dude.

Old 05-21-2017, 03:46 PM

342 posts, read 435,637 times
OP, just recently I saw pretty amazing pictures of scar's revisions on realself. With today's technology it is possible to get rid of scars. A lot of people have a great success getting rid of old facial scars they got in childhood.

Old 05-23-2017, 11:11 AM

554 posts, read 619,330 times
I think you should leave your scar alone.

Old 05-23-2017, 12:02 PM

10,103 posts, read 19,304,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I think you still need a therapist.

It's a scar, dude.

He's asking HOW to remove a scar, not why.

BTW, you'd be surprised how scars are attention-grabbers, and not in a good way. The seem to attract unwanted attention, and all social barriers are broken down. People seem to lose all common sense and manners when they approach you to demand to know all about it.

I have scars on my hands and knees from past surgeries and I wish there was some way to remove them. Although there are so old they are barely noticeable, they still attract unwanted comments and stares from the general public. I've had complete strangers come right up to me, get in my face, and demand to know "what happened to you?" or words to that effect. We were at Disneyworld with our kids and I had the nerve to wear shorts---hey, its hot in Florida! The shorts were walking shorts, or to-the-knee length, because I'm still sensitive about letting my scars show. My DH and kids said you can't even see them, or just barely, be comfortable. Well, sure enough, it attracted the attention of a Disney employee. I was seated at a show, stadium-style, I believe to see Fantasia, and an employee got right behind me and wouldn't stop commenting on my scars. When I sat down my shorts rode up a bit, that was all it took. I mean, she wouldn't stop---I even said "the show's up there, lady, stop staring at me", but she just wouldn't stop---I left in tears---it was before the show began, and the mood was ruined....I refuse to wear shorts since.

My hand scars aren't so easy to conceal, and they still remain a target. Total strangers still think its ok to stare and ask questions, and you simply can't put them off, like I said, seems all social barriers are broken down.

I've had friends and family tell me not to be so sensitive, don't worry, the scars barely show, don't let it bother you. But its not me that's bothered, seems like the general public is "bothered" by them. My SIL said, after such an incident, now she understands what I mean, it attracts unwanted attention......its not so much a problem anymore as the scars have faded, but they're still there and still visible and still manage to attract some jerk......when I least expect it

Old 05-23-2017, 02:01 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,919,318 times
I've never once had a stranger comment on a scar. That is really strange that you've had it happen multiple times. I have a scar on my hand from where I accidently sliced it open with a can opener, and have several on my arms and legs from working with animals. I also have some pretty bad looking scars on my foot, and even though I wear sandals 90% of the time spring-fall I've never had anyone but my own mother comment.

Old 05-23-2017, 02:53 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,909,169 times
With consistent use over a long period of time, a dermaroller will make a scar flatter. You would get better results with a silicone strip taped over the scar whenever you are at home.

Old 05-23-2017, 03:19 PM

135 posts, read 93,633 times
Dermarollers are pretty cheap. Get one, roll the scar and find out.

Old 05-23-2017, 03:52 PM

10,103 posts, read 19,304,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I've never once had a stranger comment on a scar. That is really strange that you've had it happen multiple times. I have a scar on my hand from where I accidently sliced it open with a can opener, and have several on my arms and legs from working with animals. I also have some pretty bad looking scars on my foot, and even though I wear sandals 90% of the time spring-fall I've never had anyone but my own mother comment.

Admittedly it happened more when the scars were new, and bright red. But in the passing of time, they are thin, flat, and just a shade lighter than my own skin. Actually, my scars look better now than many of the "after" pictures on the websites mentioned here!

But people still notice and comment. The incident at Disneyworld happened about 10 years ago, but the scars were barely noticeable then, Like I said, we were seated stadium-style. My shorts went up over the knees when I sat down. An employee was standing behind me---we were in the last row and she was on a walkway behind us--and insisted on making an issue of it, kept asking what happened, did I have knee replacements, she was looking at having knee replacements, but didn't have insurance, she was often in much pain......

I told her I'm not the entertainment, the show's up there, but she kept on.....I'm sorry she was in pain and had to stand while working and didn't have insurance, but I'd been-there-done-that, she didn't know how much pain I'd suffered (and still do), and how keeping insured was my number one job priority. That wasn't my problem at that time, I was there for a much deserved day of fun, not to be someone's shoulder to cry on. I didn't want to be reminded of my problems, I was there to enjoy a day with my family. I felt humiliated, publically harassed, and a sense of "guilt" because I know first-hand the pain this lady was experiencing, but it wasn't MY problem. Because I have a medical problem doesn't mean I want to be everyone else's sounding board.

I still get "funny looks" at times, when others notice my scars, but somehow no one challenges me anymore. I now live in Texas, I notice people are more polite in general down here. I was from Michigan, vacation was in Florida, but I can't say its a regional thing. Maybe its because I finally developed my own "attitude" ---I have as much right to exist as you do, so don't even try to make me feel deficient---I won't

Old 05-31-2017, 11:11 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,760,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
With consistent use over a long period of time, a dermaroller will make a scar flatter. You would get better results with a silicone strip taped over the scar whenever you are at home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanker-yanker View Post
Dermarollers are pretty cheap. Get one, roll the scar and find out.
Will a dermaroller also make a scar tanner?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty