Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 02:06 AM

3,862 posts, read 3,161,518 times

Advertisements

this has to be the cheapest of garments. muscular or not, you are going to look like a broke man wearing underwear in public. worn as a teen, during the summer or on the beach is one thing, but a hairy grown man walking around in one is tasteless.

An image of Carl from Agua Teen Hunger Force comes to mind every time. dress it up with some sweat pants and flip flops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 02:09 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,543,996 times
The problem with wifebeaters is the guys who have man-boobs wearing them!

Old 05-26-2017, 02:23 AM

13,287 posts, read 8,482,644 times
Sad that it received a negative connotation. They look comfortable.

Old 05-26-2017, 03:35 AM

18,543 posts, read 18,797,913 times
Was it the Moonlighters an old programme on tv from years ago who wore vests in the house.. or was it..Archie Bunker.... I can remember going into a friends house and her father sitting eating at the table with a vest on.. thought it looked poor..

Old 05-26-2017, 04:31 AM

745 posts, read 481,560 times
It appears to me that most are not understanding the OP's reason for asking.

I believe the OP is actually asking why anyone would wear this as an undershirt, when theey don't cover the armpits where it should be protecting the outer shirt from sweat stains and is simply using the Nicolas Cage photo (from Con-air I believe) as an illustration of the shirt he is talking about.

If that is the case, I will say my father use to wear them as an undershirt, and I never quite understood it either. He didn't walk around town with one as an outergarment, but in the hot summer days, he would be seen in it in the yard when he worked in the garden.

That said, he was a freight engineer on the railroad, and I might believe that was worn as an undershirt, to try to keep as cool as possible in the hot engine of the train. But, (referring to the summer), he always wore a short sleeve shirt when going to work, with the sleeveless undershirt. The blue-collar types of his generation tended to wear these as many jobs are physically demanding and they most likely did not want to feel restricted by extra material either.

Many places in the south they are worn as an outergarment due to the many number of days with high temperatures. And yes, in cooler areas, some guys like to wear them to try to be macho.

When I was a kid, they were know as "guinea-Ts", especially in the NY/NJ area as someone else pointed out.

Old 05-26-2017, 04:38 AM

745 posts, read 481,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Dudes who walk around in "wife beaters" are pretty much guaranteed to be of the lower class, lower I.Q., and lower educated types.
Ah yes. Thank You for the commentary from the high-falutin elitist class. What do highly educated folk who cheat people out of their retirement funds for a living wear for undergarments?

Old 05-26-2017, 06:47 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,879,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Dudes who walk around in "wife beaters" are pretty much guaranteed to be of the lower class, lower I.Q., and lower educated types.

Or, maybe they just have a better body than you .

Old 05-26-2017, 07:21 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,053,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Was it the Moonlighters an old programme on tv from years ago who wore vests in the house.. or was it..Archie Bunker.... I can remember going into a friends house and her father sitting eating at the table with a vest on.. thought it looked poor..

I think you are thinking of the Honeymooners with Jackie Gleason......

Old 05-26-2017, 07:31 AM

13,717 posts, read 12,475,047 times
In Chicago we called them **** tees.

To answer the OP's question:

-They prevent your chest hair showing throw.
-They prevent you seeing "skin" through a thinner dress shirt
-They prevent nipple standing out.
-They prevent lower back and boob sweat showing through.

I think that traditionally men wore more coats more often so the pit sweat maybe wasn't as big of a deal?

Old 05-26-2017, 07:41 AM

4,893 posts, read 2,693,795 times
they are cooler than a T shirt in south Florida in the summer..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty