Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 08:22 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Several decades ago, there were these knitted slubby silk tee shirts made. Nice thick silk with slubs in it for a nice texture, in lovely jewel tone colors. They weren't even that expensive. I'd bought about two dozen of them but now they're all worn very thin. I haven't seen them for sale in ages and can't even find the same knitted slubby silk fabric anywhere.

I've been looking for ages. It's one thing when a product disappears but when one of the items used to make the product isn't available it seems worse. Kinda like if they quit making glycerin or some main ingredient.
...I remember those! The natural fabric of silk was different from most and kept you very cool while still looking substantial. Now it's hard to find any natural fabric, much less silk - even expensive clothing seems to be some kind of synthetic that they over charge for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 10:22 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,003,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
Does anyone remember 'Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific' shampoo? it disappeared from market long ago. Maaaan, I loved that shampoo! It did make my hair smell terrific and nothing else ever came close after.
I used to love that. Keep your eye on Vermont Country Stores. They're currently out of stock, but they do carry it. It was sold to a co in the Philippines & according to Wiki, is still very popular there. Perhaps you can contact them directly about ordering or email VCStores to inquire about inventory or giving you the vendor's email address? You never know. Good luck.

Old 06-11-2017, 07:11 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
This happens to me all the time. I finally found a foundation and mascara that I love so I buy three at a time to make sure I have some.

Old 06-11-2017, 11:20 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Sometimes they just change the name of the product and a few things here and there. Nivea's post shave balm went through a few name changes as did their face wash as well as Bath and Body Works. Sometimes there's exact substitutes like generics or a competitor has a similar one. This happens with fragrances a lot. When they first are discontinued, you can often find these items discounted whether at an outlet, a store like Big Lots, stores like Burlington or the general store you buy it from until they are sold out.

Old 06-11-2017, 11:27 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,734,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
I used to love that. Keep your eye on Vermont Country Stores. They're currently out of stock, but they do carry it. It was sold to a co in the Philippines & according to Wiki, is still very popular there. Perhaps you can contact them directly about ordering or email VCStores to inquire about inventory or giving you the vendor's email address? You never know. Good luck.
Thank you, I will give it a try!

Old 06-11-2017, 12:37 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
Herbal Essences Tealightfully Clean Tea Tree and Mint shampoo and conditioner..... LOVED the way the mint made my scalp tingle.... felt so minty-fresh!!

Old 06-11-2017, 02:39 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
It seems to me that every mascara I've ever liked has been discontinued shortly after I bought the first tube of it.

I found a nice body oil at Walgreens a year or two ago. Walgreens discontinued it, but I discovered it at other stores. By then I'd already moved on.

But yes, products I've liked have disappeared from shelves. I think Whole Foods is especially bad about this.

And sometimes, a product I've liked has totally disappeared. I am always afraid that my Revlon BB cream will be discontinued. It is a perfect foundation for me. It will be painful to find a substitute.

Old 06-11-2017, 02:39 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,647,187 times
I miss Ponds face powder in the blue compact container. They have a new version out, but it is not the same.

Old 06-11-2017, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
Herbal Essences Tealightfully Clean Tea Tree and Mint shampoo and conditioner..... LOVED the way the mint made my scalp tingle.... felt so minty-fresh!!
I never heard of that, but for the same reasons, gosh I love the way Head & Shoulders smells & the tingle on my scalp. I don't use it often, as I don't have dandruff & the extra chemicals can't be good... but, I love that shampoo. Herbal Essences regular shampoo had a delightful smell, as well, back in the Farrah days. I can barely remember it, but all us young girls used it as pre-teens... & the aforementioned, Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific. Ah, good memories about great smelling hair...

Old 06-11-2017, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
And sometimes, a product I've liked has totally disappeared. I am always afraid that my Revlon BB cream will be discontinued. It is a perfect foundation for me. It will be painful to find a substitute.
Hi Silibran... I'm unfamiliar with the Revlon BB cream, but when traveling & losing track of toiletries recently, I unexpectedly found a Dollar Tree & came across Sassy+Chic Beauty Benefit Cream in varying colors. For $1, I gave it a try & love it. Surprisingly, for a $1 product, it glides on easily, doesn't look waxy or pasty & is very flattering on the skin. (Disclaimer: I have normal skin... never oily, not dry/flaky, but very porcelain/sensitive/rashy/allergic/sun & product sensitive.)

I don't use it often, honestly, as I forget I have it, even though I p/u 3-4 tubes. But, as it's a dual moisturizer with fairly good color coverage included, it is something I should use more often. Also, I have very sensitive skin that burns or turns red easily from product chemicals, so it's a never ending quest to find something "good" for me. This doesn't burn, inflame or redden my skin at all. Honestly, I should run out & grab 1/2-dozen before the DT doesn't offer them anymore.

Maybe give it a try, if near a Dollar Tree. It can't hurt... you may even like it as much as Revlon & it will save you a few $$... or it might be good enough as a backup, should your Revlon be discontinued. Please keep me posted should it work for you... as an esthetician, I'd be interested to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty