Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 02:01 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,608,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Seriously, the vinegar in a bottle trick sounds good. We currently live in an apartment without a garbage disposal (we pay $1000/month), and fruit flies multiply around the trash before we can even set it out. I will try the vinegar trick, nothing to lose, except fruit flies!
This was also from the article: try adding three drops of dish soap to a bowl of vinegar, and leave it uncovered. The soap cuts the surface tension of the vinegar so the flies will sink and drown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 02:20 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,630,795 times
I have had a problem with strong bo for several years, even when wearing a deodorant. At this posting, I have about 7 containers of commercial and natural deoderants sitting on my bathroom counter.

I recently was diagnosed with breast cancer and had to take radiation. You may know that you have to take the treatment with your arms over your head and your head turned into an armpit.....oh, boy. I asked the techs if they had any recommendations since there was also a 5 in incision under the arm for the lymph node removal. They said people had used Tom's but the most satisfactory comments have been for Arm and Hammer for Sensitive Skin. The unscented has a slight lemony smell. And it works for me. Does it last a long time. Pretty much so. I don't know how long I will be able to use it as I have found they don't seem to work after a time.

By the way, I have tried splashing alcohol under my arms, it kills the bacteria supposedly. It did nothing for me.

I'm happy with it the A&H.

Old 06-21-2017, 03:33 PM

284 posts, read 379,138 times
This seems to be working for me. https://www.nativecos.com/ Previously, only clinical strength Secret worked.

Old 06-21-2017, 03:46 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,113,827 times
I am having excellent luck with this: https://www.vitacost.com/jason-deodo...omen-unscented I really like all of the "Jason" products. I have tried a lot of natural deodorants and while many work in a dry climate, they fail in a hot and humid one. This is my first summer using it and so far, temps in the 90s with humidity running around 60% and going strong.

Old 06-21-2017, 03:54 PM

359 posts, read 320,398 times
I've been using the "Kiss My Face Liquid Rock Roll On Deodorant" for about a year and I love it.

Old 06-21-2017, 04:20 PM

1,065 posts, read 597,725 times
Buy those disposable wash clothes that have soap on them when they get wet. Cut into fourths, take two into bathroom, and a Viva paper towel. Moisten each cloth, wash then dry with the paper towel. Ideally, each time you pee. Drink diluted red cider vinegar. I like reading the others ideas btw.

Old 06-21-2017, 04:45 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,608,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middletwin View Post
Drink diluted red cider vinegar. I like reading the others ideas btw.
I've never heard that before. What does drinking the vinegar do for body odor? Something cool internally? (B vitamins?)

I'm enjoying the ideas on this thread, too! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who has had problem problems with natural products working.

Old 06-21-2017, 05:44 PM

129 posts, read 237,093 times
I use Nivea Deo Fresh Comfort 0 % aluminium salt

Old 06-21-2017, 08:52 PM

6,588 posts, read 4,972,969 times
I know you don't want to start making any yet, but I tried Tom's (and a few others) over the years, starting from the late 80s. Nothing worked so I always went back to commercial.

In 2012 I tried making soaps and started reading about deodorants. I decided to try homemade and did it in the winter so that I wouldn't be as sweaty all the time and could detox. Right after I started, my grandmother died and I was a pallbearer so I wore commercial deo that day and had to start the detox all over again.

It did take a little while but it actually worked. I use equal parts of shea butter, cocoa butter, cornstarch, baking soda and a little coconut oil. I also add tea tree and peppermint EOs.

Once in awhile I notice myself smelling a bit and I will end up coming down with a cold soon after.

Also, I am an endurance cyclist and have to wear jeans at one job so it's not like I work in AC all day. I can often go ride early in the morning without applying again from the day before. (not always lol).

And yes, when I first started I always carried a washcloth and extra deo with me just in case. A couple of batches ago I kept smelling myself mid-day and it drove me nuts. I figured out I had done double cornstarch instead of half baking soda and that didn't work at all.

Some people are allergic to the baking soda - for me that's what seems to help with the smell.

I'm told I smell a little more earthy than I had before but it's not bad and not BO. My more earthy friends absolutely love the tea tree and peppermint mix.

Good luck! I know it's a frustrating road and I hope you find a solution.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:54 PM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,202,561 times
Having had an absolutely terrible time with bodily changes after menopause when I was 55, this past year I finally realized I needed to try making my own deodorant....after reading about it on several internet sites. It works MUCH better than commercial deodorant, for me.

If my experimentation hadn't take 13 years, I would NEVER have taken the extra time to make my own deodorant. After what I went through, this is very much worth every minute it takes to whip up a fresh batch every month or so.

The commercial "chemical" deodorants made my underarm odor have a weird strong chemical odor. After I began using my natural deodorant, that yucky odor was finally gone...this after 13 years of experimenting with all kinds of commercial deodorants. Evidently, my body was reacting to the chemicals.

I don't perspire very much, so I only need deodorant. Depending upon the heat, or stress, or just working up a generic sweat (cleaning my house comes to mind), the odor control of this natural deodorant can last up to 2-3 days, but I prefer to use it every time I shower, which is at least every-other day unless it's sweltering outside. I put it in a small 4 ounce canning jar with a screw top lid. Now I can't live without this stuff because it works so well for a clean, fresh body scent for at least 24 hours.

When applying with my fingertips, I also apply some above my underarm and onto the top inside of my arm, and rub into my skin very well. Figure the bacteria are going to multiply there, too, from contact w/the armpit. I've noticed if I don't apply some to the top of my inside arm, the deodorant doesn't seem to work as well. The arrowroot causes the deodorant to almost completely disappear after 4 or 5 minutes, with no oiliness. Then you can safely get dressed without staining your clothes with the oil. In hot weather, this deodorant will liquify, so you can keep it in your fridge until the night before you shower...place it in a cooler place in your home once it's out of the fridge. Every week or so, give the jar a good stirring to make sure the arrowroot and the baking soda are thoroughly mixed in.

Here are the ingredients. Measurements don't need to be exact. I prefer organic since it's absorbing into the lymph - for chemical-free deodorant:

5 tablespons organic, high quality coconut oil

2 to 4 tablespoons Arrowroot (add 2 tablespoons first, then add more if it needs it), acts as an emulsifier, blends with other ingredients and also soaks up the oiliness. Experiment with the quantity of this one. It's a little different every time.

1 to 2 Tablespoons Baking soda, odor control. Don't use too much as it can irritate.

16 to 20 drops, Essential oil: best is tea tree essential oil, I think. Its scent is 'fresh' and nondescript. Or make up your own combined scent.

NOTE: Double or triple the recipe and keep the extra batches in the fridge until ready to use or share with a friend.

You can also experiment and use these other ** natural antibacterial ** essential oils: lemon, geranium, lavendar, thyme, rosemary, rose, pine, peppermint, patchouli, sweet orange, niaouli, sweet marjoram, litsea cubeba (smells like lemon), frankincense, sweet fennel, eucalyptus radiata, cypress, basil. Do you prefer floral, herbal, citrus, mint, or forest scents?

I would experiment with the essential oil(s) you decide to use and apply a few drops to your skin before making the deodorant and check your skin the next morning for allergic reaction. I/ve never had a reaction, but it would be wise to check it out first. Try these essential oil brands: NOW, Aura Cacia, Wyndmere ... usually available at Natural Grocers, Whole Foods, Amazon.com, Sprouts at reasonable prices. NOW brand offers roughly twice the quantity as the other brands. Organic is offered by many brands. Don't take the oils internally.

Last edited by 'M'; 06-21-2017 at 09:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty