Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 11:49 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,363,653 times

Advertisements

Why do you care what other men do with their facial hair? Like, does it affect you in any way other than it bothers your delicate sensibilities?

A better question to ask would be, why do millions of people believe chocolate milk comes from brown cows. Now there's something that actually matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 11:51 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,363,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
OP I think you should ask a man with a beard. I have some facial hair now and I had a very full beard for a while a couple of years ago. I know I always enjoyed the occasional presump, er, arrogan, um, douch, let's see, the inquisitive person who essentially asked me to defend my personal grooming choices. Those were fun times
*snort*

You win.

Old 06-23-2017, 12:05 AM

317 posts, read 181,432 times
Abraham Lincoln said it best - some people have beards, and then there are women.

Old 06-23-2017, 12:07 AM

876 posts, read 812,183 times
As a facial hair-challenged man, I must admit a bit of envy for those who can grow a full, thick, manly beard. In some cases it can hide flaws like a weird upper lip. undefined jaw line or weak chin. Beards can be perceived on a subconscious level as a sign of sexual maturity and a masculinity.

It's not a new trend. It seems like it's been going on for at least 10-15 years, and it comes and goes out of fashion over the centuries. Like the stock market, no one knows when we've reached peak beard. I don't think it's going away any time soon.

Old 06-23-2017, 12:36 AM

1,906 posts, read 2,034,871 times
Its a trend that appears to have finally peaked.

I think it was a combo of

Duck dynasty popularity. Got it popular in the rural and southern areas.

All those manly movie stars suddenly sporting them a few years ago. Got it popular with hipsters and urban fashion followers.

Plethora of war video games coming out. Made it popular with younger guys from everywhere who like to think they can moonlight as a special forces bada$$ after growing one and sporting a backwards cap.

Old 06-23-2017, 02:56 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,521,828 times
After our daughter got married & we walked her down the aisle, spouse said he was never cutting his hair again, & grew a Yosemite Sam beard & moustache.

I felt like he deserved that, after working hard for so many years. Then I decided to stop shaving, too...

His hair is now long enough for a ponytail, his beard is long enough to braid, and guess what I can do??

Last edited by MarciaMarshaMarcia; 06-23-2017 at 03:40 AM..

Old 06-23-2017, 05:56 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,918,077 times
It's not a "trend" at all. Some men have worn beards for millennia. Yeah, a lot of women don't like then. But there are plenty of babyfaced men they can go after

Old 06-23-2017, 06:42 AM

15,217 posts, read 10,291,036 times
I like a well groomed, closely trimmed beard but I like facial hair on guys. I think it's masculine but my generation was into masculine. Most of the women these days don't seem to be, they want their boyfriends hairless and metrosexual. My son has one of those full, bushy beards. I hate it - he looks like he should join the family from Duck Dynasty.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:37 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,394,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
Who else does not like beards on men. I'm a guy that loves women (straight). I see many guys where I live with beards, which I think are silly. I am clean shaven , shave just about each day. I like to be clean shaven no beard or mustache (my job requires this anyway).
So, what is the fascination with beards being cool? I think it looks unkept, or like your are from the stix, and silly. My ex wife (we are still very kind to each other and keep in touch), also told me she could not stand kissing me with facial hair and it being scratchy.
They even had a silly parade for some foolish bearded club of men here in my city. What do you think...
I'm not really too worried about this, as I have much bigger problems in life
I like a clean-cut goatee, but those mountain-man-type long beards are fugly as all get out.

Old 06-23-2017, 09:23 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,550,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
Who else does not like beards on men. I'm a guy that loves women (straight). I see many guys where I live with beards, which I think are silly. I am clean shaven , shave just about each day. I like to be clean shaven no beard or mustache (my job requires this anyway).
So, what is the fascination with beards being cool? I think it looks unkept, or like your are from the stix, and silly. My ex wife (we are still very kind to each other and keep in touch), also told me she could not stand kissing me with facial hair and it being scratchy.
They even had a silly parade for some foolish bearded club of men here in my city. What do you think...
I'm not really too worried about this, as I have much bigger problems in life
Beards aren't a fad. Beards naturally grow and have been around on humans for tens of thousands of years. Shaving was invented much more recently, its shaving that's the fad.

Get your facts straight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty